android
Old 01-31-2010, 06:38 PM
ABI Founder

Default Lenovo S10-3T Convertable Mulit-Touch Tablet

I recently purchased a Lenovo ThinkPad X200 multitouch convertible tablet. I do have a high level of satisfaction with it and it is my main computer while on the go, but it is one expensive-ass notebook especially with the included 128GB SSD. The think I appreciate the most about is is is super rugged build quality and flat out no-nonsense utilitarian design.

I also had a brush with the Lenovo S10 Netbook- great device, great build quality, but i sent it back because of the silly placement of some of the keys. (Its a problem Lenovo still has with the Ctrl and Fn keys on all their laptops.) It looks like they changed some of the keys back for the third iteration and tablet version of the S10.

There are two versions of the S10-3T currently ready for pre-order. A version with the Intel Atom N450 (1.66GHz), 1GB RAM, and Windows 7 Starter for $500 and then the step up with the Atom N470 (1.83GHz), 2GB RAM and Windows 7 Home Premium for $650.

Ill be picking up the latter and perhaps replacing the HDD with an SSD. Here are the rest of the know specs:
  • 1.66GHz/1.83GHZ Intel Atom Processor
  • 1GB/2GB 204 Pin DDR2 SO-DIMM Memory
  • 250GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM); 802.11 b/g/n
  • 10.1" 1024x600 LED Display (16:9); Intel GMA 3150 Graphics
  • Windows 7 Starter/Windows 7 Premium
  • MultiTouch
  • Bluetooth
You can preorder them now from Amazon or Lenovo.

Oh and if you dont care about the TouchScreen there is a regular old Netbook version of this third gen S10 for $350.... not bad.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-31-2010, 06:41 PM

Boy, your quite busy tonight.
Why can't lenovo just give us a trackpoint and make more room for the keyboard?

Edit: Is your Thinkpad Xxxx screen 4:3 or 16:9 and is it IPS?

Old 01-31-2010, 06:44 PM
ABI Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmnoland View Post
Boy, your quite busy tonight.
Why can't lenovo just give us a trackpoint and make more room for the keyboard?
It took me a good month to get use to the fact that the ThinkPad X200 only has a trackpoint and its probably one of my biggest complains. I do miss the trackpad.

Old 01-31-2010, 06:47 PM

While I like having both on my 2 Thinkpads, I would think that only having a trackpoint on a netbook would be more practical and allow more room for larger keys.

Old 01-31-2010, 06:50 PM
ABI Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmnoland View Post
While I like having both on my 2 Thinkpads, I would think that only having a trackpoint on a netbook would be more practical and allow more room for larger keys.
Agreed and i think this would be my prefernce now that im used to the trackpoint, but i think it would definitely be a downside to new customers. You should see people freak out when i they use my laptop- its amusing some times- they try to use it like a track ball or they push really hard on it like a joystick. learning curve is way to high for a consumer product imo.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:50 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Hows the touch screen? Does it use a stylus or fully finger controlled?

Old 02-01-2010, 10:53 AM
ABI Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack4L View Post
Hows the touch screen? Does it use a stylus or fully finger controlled?
I dont know about the S10-T3 but the X200 is multitouch finger and stylus friendly.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:58 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Does it offer any touch screen control options or is the touch screen just like an alternate mouse pointer?

Most importantly, hows corner clicking? ;D

Thats like my all time worst fear with any tablet like device, the need to have to click those darn windows away like you would with a mouse on a PC. That will always lower my will to even bother with using it like a slate. Even on my N810 theres that problem, although it bypasses the problem for the most part by offering a task switcher button that pops up easy to press buttons.

Old 02-01-2010, 11:31 AM
ABI Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack4L View Post
Does it offer any touch screen control options or is the touch screen just like an alternate mouse pointer?

Most importantly, hows corner clicking? ;D
It operates similarly to a mouse, but the OS is aware when you are using your finger as apposed to a mouse. It adjust some of the UI elements to deal with your finger. So when you scroll a windows with your finger it has kinetics and visual feedback. When you slide your finger on the jump list it spreads the menu items out so that its more finger friendly. There are lots of little things like this, but it still needs to come a long way- Windows 7 still needs a lot of work to be more finger friendly. But to answer your question, yes corner clicking still sucks.

Tags
convertable, lenovo, s10, tablet