android
Old 01-26-2010, 02:15 AM

Default Battery problem with D2+?

I think I am experiencing a problem with the battery of my 16GB D2+. I bought this player in september 2009.

After about 5 hours of playing, the battery indicator drops one bar and about 6 hours later it suddenly starts blinking as if the battery is empty. But I can still use it for about 14-15 hours. Restarting the player makes the indicator go back to 2 bars (half empty).

My settings:
Vol: 28
EQ: On (+5, +2, +1 +2 +4)
MACH BASS: +5
BBE: +7
All Others: off
Screen: auto off 10 seconds, brightness level 5.
Usage: one hour a day in one straight session, almost no browsing / skipping / touching the screen while playing.
Playing: Music only (FLAC, except 8 songs in MP3 320kb). No video
usage.
Source: internal memory (an SDHC 16GB card is inserted though)
Headphones: Sennheiser HD-25-1 II (70 ohm)

Total battery time with these setting and usage: 25 hours

A few complete discharge and recharge cycles did not solve the battery indicator problem nor did it extend the total playing time.

Does this mean that my D2+ has a bad battery?

If other tests or more info are needed, please let me know.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-26-2010, 11:23 PM

It doesn't come to me every time, perhaps at most once per month. Restarting the player will make the indicator go back to normal.

So you are feeling listening to FLACs and lasting 25 hours too short?

Old 01-27-2010, 02:07 AM

AFAIK FLAC is a not a very power hungry format when it comes to decoding. Encoding is a very different story though.

I finished a new test with turning off all sound enhancements and setting the volume to 25. That gave me 29 hours of battery life.

I must admit that I haven't finished any testing regarding battery life comparing FLAC to MP3 yet. I've just started a new test this morning. After a full recharge the player is now repeatedly playing a single MP3-file (256 Kb/sec).

If FLAC really is that more power hungry than MP3 (which I doubt) I will reconvert everything to MP3.

Old 01-27-2010, 02:33 AM

its the file size and bitrate together, FLAC is like anywhere between 700 - 1k plus kbs. File size is like 3 times of a 320kps MP3.

And also volume you are playing at affects

Old 01-28-2010, 07:59 AM

The final test: Volume 15, MP3 only, continious play (no screen usage), all soundenhancements off, flat EQ, no SDHC card inserted, 16 Ohm Sennheiser PX100 headphones: 30-31 hours. This is a bad battery imho.

Old 01-29-2010, 12:55 AM

I am facing the same problem. volume 15, eq rock, i have set up other enhancements by just a cpl. brightness 8 but i keep screen usage to minimum. after about 3 days at about 6 hours a day the battery meters reaches to 1/4th. i have just once completely discharged. this happened in mere 2 days at about 16 hrs usage when i used the player to play flash games for a few hours.
I dont think the player would stretch to anything beyond 30 hrs which leaves me sorely disappointed!

Old 01-30-2010, 03:36 AM

I must correct myself. The Senns are 32 Ohm headphones, not 16 Ohm.