android
Old 12-27-2008, 02:36 AM

Unhappy D2 + iBasso D2 BOA: Sound quality?

Hi all,

I've just received my iBasso D2 yesterday and very surprised because I didn't hear any different in the sound quality between with and w/o the D2. According to what I've heard from many users, the headamp will help to increase the bass, treble, soundstage ... But it was not my case .

If anyone here could give me an advice of how to work out this, I would very appreciate.

FYI, the headphone I'm using is Senheiser CX500. I know it is not a very good one. So, could this be the problem?

Thanks,

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-27-2008, 10:05 AM

Cowon D2 + iBasso D2 boa is what I personally use. I use Phonak Audeo IEMs or ULTRASONE HFI-780 headphones. The difference is very slight, to be honest. It is not like the difference stikes you the moment you plug your amp to the cowon.

What the amp does for me is decreasing the hiss of the cowon D2, minimizes the bass rollfoff (it is audible ony in certain tracks, it is not a HUGE difference), and adds analog volume control what is very usefull when I want to listen very very quiet, like while falling asleep.

Adding an amp to a dap does not make a HUGE difference. It is just a minor tweak to make the aleready good sounding D2 sound a bit better.

And, yes, upgrading IEMs might be a good idea.

Old 12-27-2008, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzx View Post
Cowon D2 + iBasso D2 boa is what I personally use. I use Phonak Audeo IEMs or ULTRASONE HFI-780 headphones. The difference is very slight, to be honest. It is not like the difference stikes you the moment you plug your amp to the cowon.

What the amp does for me is decreasing the hiss of the cowon D2, minimizes the bass rollfoff (it is audible ony in certain tracks, it is not a HUGE difference), and adds analog volume control what is very usefull when I want to listen very very quiet, like while falling asleep.

Adding an amp to a dap does not make a HUGE difference. It is just a minor tweak to make the aleready good sounding D2 sound a bit better.

And, yes, upgrading IEMs might be a good idea.

Thanks for your advice!

BTW, do you know the 'phones' impedance range that an iBasso could drive properly?

Old 12-28-2008, 03:40 AM

I don't know the exact impedance range with wich Boa performs well.
I know it can drive 150ohms, because I read about some guy who used the Boa with his Yuin PK1's. I am sure it would drive more though, 200-300 ohms should be no problem for the Boa.

Old 12-30-2008, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzx View Post
I don't know the exact impedance range with wich Boa performs well.
I know it can drive 150ohms, because I read about some guy who used the Boa with his Yuin PK1's. I am sure it would drive more though, 200-300 ohms should be no problem for the Boa.

Thanks a lot for your suggestion! I've just bought a PK1 yesterday and it works really great.

Old 01-25-2010, 08:28 AM

I just received my Ibasso D2+. Going to listen to it with my Cowon S9 and Sennheiser IE8. I will let you guys know how it sounds

Old 01-25-2010, 08:46 AM

You can read my thoughts on portable amps here.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc