android
Old 01-19-2010, 09:09 PM

Default Can't run while plugged into USB?

Just got my new S9 and started playing with it. Am I correct in thinking that you can't actually have the player on and running while plugged into the USB?

That's a pretty big bummer for me since I like to leave my player at work, plugged in constantly.

Is there some setting I'm missing?

Thanks!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-19-2010, 09:39 PM

It will not work while connect to your computer. It goes into "hard drive" mode. Basically, it locks out the ability to play from the S9 itself until unplugged so it can maintain any changes within the tagging and database.

It will work, however, if you plug your USB cable into an adapter plugged into a power outlet. This is can either be an A/C or cigarette lighter type. The only thing is that you have to have the player on before you connect to the adapter. You can find either type on Amazon or JetAudio's website. They're cheap if you look for a deal. Sometimes you can find both for around $10 plus shipping.

Old 01-19-2010, 09:40 PM

Awesome. I picked one of those wall adapters up, so I should be good to go.

Old 01-20-2010, 01:12 PM

the S9's battery life is really decent, you could probably get through multiple days at work before needing a full recharge. have you tested yours out to see how long it lasts on one charge?

Old 01-20-2010, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
Just got my new S9 and started playing with it. Am I correct in thinking that you can't actually have the player on and running while plugged into the USB?

That's a pretty big bummer for me since I like to leave my player at work, plugged in constantly.

Is there some setting I'm missing?

Thanks!
You can use the plyer while plugged in to the USB port if you do not push in the USB cable into the all the way into the USB port. Gently push it in until the charging symbol appears.

Old 01-21-2010, 12:05 AM

^ isnt this a little bit risky ? i mean, the risk of having the unit bricked.?

Old 01-22-2010, 01:44 AM

Actually, I believe it's worse for the player to remain plugged in constantly (from what I recall of ABi's battery article). Don't let it die completely either, but don't leave it in overnight or all the time.

Old 01-22-2010, 08:00 AM

I do as Frinard says on all my players, no problems .

Although I'm sure the wall charger to USB is the safest bet, and also the fastest.

Stop the loudness war - Turn Me Up!

Old 01-22-2010, 10:27 PM

I ripped the data-pins out of a regular USB-cable that I connect between my Cowon-cable and computer for charging while having it on.
I have the player on all the time while at home, it won't affect the battery if the battery is charged, the power will just bypass it, no?

Old 01-23-2010, 05:07 AM

Li-po/Li-ion don't like to be left 100% discharged as in this state they have a shorter life. Below 20% is even worse and can cause permanent damage if left. I don't know what the cut-off voltage is on these players though so 0% of what it says in the MP3 player might actually be safe in battery terms.

The optimum storage for Li-po/Li-ion is 40%, not very useful for MP3 players.

It's also not good to deep discharge them say from 100% to 0% every few days. It's best to do constant little charges. These batteries do not have memory effect at all.

It doesn't really matter too much in a low discharge (low power) MP3 player though, I would go ahead and use what you paid for, all the battery!

No it will not "overcharge" the battery, safe to leave it plugged in. These batteries are pretty explosive and easily damaged if overcharged so I don't think they would be silly enough to allow that.

Stop the loudness war - Turn Me Up!