android
Go Back   abi>>forums > General Audio > Headphones

Old 01-20-2010, 02:03 PM
Banned

Default Shure SE530 or Sony EX700 or Sennheiser IE8?

I want to buy one of these but am having difficulty deciding which - they're for most types of types of music, Rock, Folk, Classical, Jazz and Punk on all my current DAPs.

I'm tempted by the EX700s - I enjoy my EX500s, and from reading around these seem to be a major step-up, but there have been comments that the treble is a bit harsh from some users.

The SE530s get great reviews - they appear to get well spoken of everywhere, and I know they're in a different league from SE110, 210 and 310, but I didn't like those Shures when I tried them out. Also, they're the most expensive of the 3.

The IE8s - scarcely anyone has a bad word to say about them on Head-Fi and they're mid-price - at least amongst these 3.

Westone, UE and others I don't know a hell of a lot about, but I don't fancy Customs (price, really.)

I like my bass, although not excessively, good clarity, wide soundstage and nice instrument separation and would appreciate something that isn't liable to fall apart anytime soon (the right side of my EX500s is coming apart, although superglue fixes that temporarily.

Any ideas/suggestions welcome.

Richard.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-21-2010, 09:53 AM
Banned

Bought the ie8s. Cost isn't really an issue with me, but I didn't feel like giving UE a grand. The cable on the EX700s is suspect, and of the reviews for the SE530 and ie8 the Sennheiser seems to just edge it.

Edit: Now I can stop reading reviews and interminably dull Head-fi threads.

Last edited by Dreamnine; 01-21-2010 at 11:32 AM.

Tags
ex700, ie8, iems, se530