android
Old 09-18-2009, 08:39 AM

Default Audio Quality.

I think it would be fair to say that when it comes to audio quality playback Sony Walkmans are superior to iPods, so with respect to Walkmans would it be better to have AAC rather than MP3 audio files on a Walkman because MP3 files are inferior as far as audio quality is concerned and AAC files are far better?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-18-2009, 08:57 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Actually, using the current LAME encoder (mp3), it's equal to or BETTER than AAC. Plus, it's fully compatible w/any player on the market. AAC, I'm not so sure about on the compatibility front. Go LAME V~0 vbr and you'll have superb audio, pretty much transparent when compared to lossless codecs (such as WAV and FLAC) to the average listener (like me).

Old 12-04-2009, 05:36 PM

IPods use Apple lossles codec (ALC)
Sony use
ATRAC Advanced Lossless Technology but for high-est audio quality i use wav pcm uncompress 32 biti/44.1 khz and with good phones like sennheiser ie8 or Ultimate ears triple.fi10 is a huge difference in audio quality vs mp3 codec 320kbs. The cons is only memory size OF MP3 PLAYER.
Best compromise is Lame mp3 codec from dbpoweramp software 320kps CBR 44,1khz in my opinion

Old 12-04-2009, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andwu View Post
IPods use Apple lossles codec (ALC)
Sony use ATRAC Advanced Lossless Technology but for high-est audio quality i use wav pcm
Sony is done with that worthless Atrac junk. They now use linear PCM, also called .wav. That's what I mainly use, never mind the size, give it a listen for a few hours. With maybe 20 hrs. (of .wav) on my 16gb sony I can get in a good day's work!

Old 12-06-2009, 04:12 AM

I compare x10150 model with my NW 916 and sound quality is much better on NW the X...X is warm style ,,ipod touch style.. ..headphone use shure pe530 ..maybe with other top headphone sound is diferent.
Is clear that in Xmodels is another dac chip vs cirrus logic dac CS43L21(24 biti\96khz) founded in NWZ-8XX models

Old 12-06-2009, 05:30 PM

I don't think I'm feeling you on the warm sound of the NW...did you set your EQ to flat?? with everything else off?? because I have everything set to flat with only dynamic normalizer which was the similar setup I ran for the A728. for the Nw could be cuz of the audio output but I doubt it though.

Old 12-08-2009, 03:49 AM

I have NW A-918 i don't know about other NW series...dac settings: 0.0 5khz treble; 50hz bass ; eq: +2 cb +1,0,0,-2,MAXIM.
on grado sr 60 ..and also have more bass then NWZ A8XX series.In comparation with a-918 ,x1050 is more warm style ..not better them this a-918

Old 12-16-2009, 02:32 AM

how about A728?

Old 12-17-2009, 12:34 PM

NWZ A72X is exactly NWZ A82X but without bluethooth.
If you get a service mode and tweak dac ,the sound is much better then x model.For example if you want more soundstage in service mode ,clear stereo change from -38db to 86 (maximum) and with clear stereo on you see a big difference compare default mode.Also on NWZ A72x and NWZ A82X models with Grado sr60 phone,ie8 sennheiser i found best tweak DAC 50HZ bass, 5khz 1,5khz, clear stereo -86 ,dinamic normalizer on but highly recomends to play yourself with setting until you get the sound you want..more agressive,digital or warm style just x models ,change freq 5khz,7khz with -4.5,-5,5 db..something like that..found yourself a sound wich is pleasant for you.
And about the diffenence in sound between X models and A models is all about the change DAC setiings in service mode for the A models ..

Old 12-17-2009, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andwu View Post
NWZ A72X is exactly NWZ A82X but without bluethooth.
If you get a service mode and tweak dac ,the sound is much better then x model.For example if you want more soundstage in service mode ,clear stereo change from -38db to 86 (maximum) and with clear stereo on you see a big difference compare default mode.Also on NWZ A72x and NWZ A82X models with Grado sr60 phone,ie8 sennheiser i found best tweak DAC 50HZ bass, 5khz 1,5khz, clear stereo -86 ,dinamic normalizer on but highly recomends to play yourself with setting until you get the sound you want..more agressive,digital or warm style just x models ,change freq 5khz,7khz with -4.5,-5,5 db..something like that..found yourself a sound wich is pleasant for you.
And about the diffenence in sound between X models and A models is all about the change DAC setiings in service mode for the A models ..
Thank you very much, but I wanna know can I buy the A728/A728 in UK now?
I mean I do not know whether it been stoped production or not.

Old 12-18-2009, 02:17 AM

I just love the DAC settings on the secret menu. Its pure awesomeness. You'll enjoy the a728. I had mine for 2 yrs now and I'm still loving its awesome SQ

Old 12-18-2009, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qujunjie View Post
Thank you very much, but I wanna know can I buy the A728/A728 in UK now?
I mean I do not know whether it been stoped production or not.
You can get an A729 for not very much money here, if that helps:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SONY-NWZ-A729-...item4ceb68579b

Old 01-19-2010, 09:23 PM

I have many portable players over the years. Nothing beats the MiniDise despite the restrictions of Atrac. IMO it is the best format. I have owned several iPods over the years. The 5.5G was the best of the bunch but, nothing compares to the Sony post Atrac series of players especially with DSEE.

When played on a big rig Sony players sound close to CD's in about any format. iPods don't sound that great. MiniDisc sound like the real deal if not better if you can believe that.

I love my Clip it is a great sounding player compare to any player regardless of its size. The Sony players are relatively just as small and have better battery life and sound awesome. The Clip doesn't transfer that sound to the Big Rig. I have a plethora of headphones that will sort out the weak from the strong but, the real test for me is connecting to the big rig. Sony players shine in this regard.

Maybe I am accustom to Sony signature sound but, compared to the original source Sony player's come closer to that than many other players out there, IMO. Wether Cassette, CD, MD, or DAP's In my car which isn't the best environment to hear music the MD is the best and Sony DAP's come in a close second. For Mass Market electronics Sony general is damn good. For unlimited amount of money you can have great sounding electronics but it takes real genius to do it for cheap and Sony does that.