android
Old 01-09-2010, 05:09 AM

Default YP-R0 forgetting saved radio stations

Hi!
My new YP-R0 seems to forget the saved radio stations. It usually happens the next day: I memorize some radio stations, use the player normally during the day and the next morning, when I turn it on the aren't any saved stations.
The player keeps the rest of the settings so I know it hasn't been reset completely. It has firmware 1.10 EU-00-IK4.
Has anything like this happen to any of you?

Thanks!!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-11-2010, 01:07 PM

Booted up this morning and the player freezed when selected the radio icon. Turned it on again and it did a sort of hardware checkup (like windows after a failed boot lol).
So...it looks to me like a hardware failure. I guess the memory where it stores the radio station presets is damaged and the player is unable to read it after it turns completely off.
I Hope they exchange it on the shop I bought it without creating trouble

Old 01-14-2010, 05:20 AM

Hi iampiti,

Quote:
Originally Posted by iampiti View Post
Hi!
My new YP-R0 seems to forget the saved radio stations. It usually happens the next day: I memorize some radio stations, use the player normally during the day and the next morning, when I turn it on the aren't any saved stations.
The player keeps the rest of the settings so I know it hasn't been reset completely. It has firmware 1.10 EU-00-IK4.
Has anything like this happen to any of you?

Thanks!!
Same thing here with a new 32GB R1 that I got myself for Crhistmas. Every two or three startups, all radio presets are lost. All other settings seem to be preserved.

This R1 used to be a FR unit that I switched to EU and to firmware 3. I hardly used it before these changes, so I don't know if the problem is related to them.

Pepe

Old 01-14-2010, 05:40 AM
Samsung Moderator

Okay, I'll check it myself on my R0 and R1 and if I confirm the problem, I'll tell the R&D to fix it in the next firmware

Old 01-14-2010, 07:12 AM

Lebellium,

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebellium View Post
Okay, I'll check it myself on my R0 and R1 and if I confirm the problem, I'll tell the R&D to fix it in the next firmware
Merci bien,

Pepe

Old 01-14-2010, 12:43 PM

I went to the shop where I bought it yesterday and changed it for a 16 Gb version (they didn't have any more 8gb players). And...this one behaves exactly the same. I very much doubt both players have hw faults so...could it be a software bug?. This one has firmware 1.03 by the way.
Lebellium It'd be great if you could contact someone at Samsung and get some info about what might be happening.
Thanks!!

Old 01-16-2010, 05:33 AM
Samsung Moderator

Okay, I confirm the problem on the R0. However my R1 kept presets in mind.
iampiti, could you try again with the firmware 3.00 please?

Old 01-16-2010, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Okay, I confirm the problem on the R0. However my R1 kept presets in mind.
iampiti, could you try again with the firmware 3.00 please?
Firmware 3.00? Which one do you mean? AFAIK there's only 1.03, 1.07 and 1.10.
My first R0 had the problem with 1.10 and the second (current) one exhibited the problem too with 1.03 (which was the FW it had from the factory). I have upgraded it to 1.10.

More info: I have confirmed it happens only when booting up from off state not from standby...but it doesn't happen every time. The manual says holding the on/off/lock button for 10 seconds resets the player...maybe this has to do something with our problem.

Greets.

Old 01-16-2010, 02:10 PM
Samsung Moderator

Sorry, I meant PepeM
As I said, I confirm the problem for R0 but not for R1.
PepeM could you try again with your R1 before I sent an email to the R&D please

Old 01-16-2010, 08:14 PM

Hi lebellium

Quote:
Sorry, I meant PepeM
As I said, I confirm the problem for R0 but not for R1.
PepeM could you try again with your R1 before I sent an email to the R&D please
I think I've found something. Whenever I plug the R1 to the computer while the R1 is off, radio presets are lost. If I plug the R1 while it's still on, presets are not lost. This happens both in MSC and MTP mode. Can you confirm?

Also, I have noticed that this unit is drainig the battery even when it's turned off, not only blocked, but off. Yesterday, for instance, I charged it to 100% and turned it off. 24 hours later, when I turned it on again, the battery charge was at 4%. Turned it off and on again, then went through the "recovering firmware" routine... and presets are lost again. I don't know if these are related. The "recovering firmware" happens only occasionally so I haven't still been able to check if it always erases the radio presets. The rest of the settings seem to be preserved after the firmware recovery.

All these tests have been done with a new FR unit (firmware 1.*) modified to EU and then upgraded to firmware 3.0.

Pepe

Last edited by PepeM; 01-16-2010 at 08:15 PM. Reason: Misspelling lebellium. Sorry!

Old 01-17-2010, 10:39 AM
Samsung Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepeM View Post
Hi lebellium

I think I've found something. Whenever I plug the R1 to the computer while the R1 is off, radio presets are lost. If I plug the R1 while it's still on, presets are not lost. This happens both in MSC and MTP mode. Can you confirm?
In fw 3.00, that doesn't happen with mine!

Quote:
Also, I have noticed that this unit is drainig the battery even when it's turned off, not only blocked, but off. Yesterday, for instance, I charged it to 100% and turned it off. 24 hours later, when I turned it on again, the battery charge was at 4%. Turned it off and on again, then went through the "recovering firmware" routine... and presets are lost again. I don't know if these are related. The "recovering firmware" happens only occasionally so I haven't still been able to check if it always erases the radio presets. The rest of the settings seem to be preserved after the firmware recovery.

All these tests have been done with a new FR unit (firmware 1.*) modified to EU and then upgraded to firmware 3.00.

Pepe
My R1 in 3.00 keeps preset after a recovering firmware...

I really do not understand what happens with yours.

So I can only send an email to the R&D for the R0 sorry

Last edited by lebellium; 01-17-2010 at 10:45 AM.

Old 01-17-2010, 03:50 PM

lebellium,

Quote:
I'm narrowing this thing: radio presets are lost if I turn off the R1 while listening to the radio and then plug it to the computer. If I turn it off while listening to music or podcasts and then plug it to the computer, radio presets are not lost. Plugging the R1 to the computer while it's on never loses the presets. And it's consistent. I can reproduce this behaviour every time.

Also, sometimes, when unplugging the R1 from the computer, and even if all I have done is let it sit there for charging, no files interchanged, it says "updating DB" or something similar and takes a few seconds to go from 0% to 100%. I haven't still noticed wether this has any relation to losing radio presets.

Quote:

I really do not understand what happens with yours.

So I can only send an email to the R&D for the R0 sorry
I don't know what happens either. When I plug it in the computer in MSC mode, it tells me to update my Windows Media Player, but I have version 11 installed and Windows says I have the latest and greatest. Do you think there's something wrong with my unit or just a bug in the R1?

Anyway, let's hope that you can reproduce my problem and report it to Samsung or that the root cause is the same one as with the R0 and that curing one will cure the other.

Thanks again for the trouble you take to get these problems sorted out for us,

PepeM

Old 01-17-2010, 05:01 PM
Samsung Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepeM View Post
lebellium,

I'm narrowing this thing: radio presets are lost if I turn off the R1 while listening to the radio and then plug it to the computer. If I turn it off while listening to music or podcasts and then plug it to the computer, radio presets are not lost. Plugging the R1 to the computer while it's on never loses the presets. And it's consistent. I can reproduce this behaviour every time.
Okay, now you precise your turn off while listening to radio I can confirm, it losts preset I'll send another email

Quote:
Also, sometimes, when unplugging the R1 from the computer, and even if all I have done is let it sit there for charging, no files interchanged, it says "updating DB" or something similar and takes a few seconds to go from 0% to 100%. I haven't still noticed wether this has any relation to losing radio presets.
If I do not modify anything on the R1, it doesn't say that. Updating DB is only when you add or modify a file on the mP3 player. Normaly...
But that's not much important

Quote:
I don't know what happens either. When I plug it in the computer in MSC mode, it tells me to update my Windows Media Player, but I have version 11 installed and Windows says I have the latest and greatest. Do you think there's something wrong with my unit or just a bug in the R1?
In MTP mode I would understand that as drivers come from WMP but in MSC/UMS mode I do not understand at all

Old 01-17-2010, 05:09 PM

lebellium,

Quote:
In MTP mode I would understand that as drivers come from WMP but in MSC/UMS mode I do not understand at all
Oooops, my bad. It's in MTP when it complains about WMP version even if I'm using the last one. Sorry about that one. I always get them mixed up.

Pepe

Old 01-17-2010, 05:17 PM
Samsung Moderator

The solution to fix your problem with MTP would be to set up WMP11 again.
(only works if you have a legal licence of Windows too)

But there is no reason to use MTP, it's useless.
Put your R1 in MSC instead and you'll never get problems anymore

Old 01-17-2010, 05:57 PM

lebellium,

Quote:
The solution to fix your problem with MTP would be to set up WMP11 again.
(only works if you have a legal licence of Windows too)

But there is no reason to use MTP, it's useless.
Put your R1 in MSC instead and you'll never get problems anymore
Right. I'm only using MTP so that I can unplug it from the PC without going through the "unplug USB hardware safely" routine. In fact, I don't even know how to use WMP to sync the player. I just copy the files over with Windows explorer.

I saw somewhere (gmp3 maybe? I can't find it anymore) a picture of the radio presets in the R1 where each one had a name and logo. I don't seem to be able to do this and would be most useful, since it doesn't let you sort them any way yo want. Am I missing something or was that a promotional picture or a beta firmware that never saw the light?

PepeM

Old 01-17-2010, 06:15 PM
Samsung Moderator

The "unplug USB hardware safely" routine is also useless.
Just check yourself on the R1 display if it is transferring files. If not, you can unplug it So MSC for ever

I thought I took this picture but I can't not find it again either
In fact you have to put the KR region code and put the FM radio in KR region.
Then you choose your region area in Korea and it preselects local stations with logo for you.
So it's funny to see but useless if you don't live in Korea^^
And useless if you live in Europe and have RDS system

edit:
I found a picture on the internet:

Old 01-21-2010, 06:10 PM

Quote:

Mine did it again the other day. In the space of half an hour, and while listening to the radio, the R1 turned off itself and did the "recovering firmware" routine when I turned it back on both times. On the first occasion presets were kept. On the second, they were lost. Again. <sigh>

Quote:
If I do not modify anything on the R1, it doesn't say that. Updating DB is only when you add or modify a file on the mP3 player. Normaly...
But that's not much important
Again I can confirm that just plugging the R1 to the computer for battery charge and leaving it there for a couple of hours, it occasionally does the "pdating DB" when I unplug it, even if I haven't even browsed the R1 contents. Just plug it, work on the computer on unrelated matters and unplug it. I also hope it's not important, but it could be a sign that something is going wrong.

Quote:
The "unplug USB hardware safely" routine is also useless.
Just check yourself on the R1 display if it is transferring files. If not, you can unplug it So MSC for ever
Right. I have never seen a USB device that enabled the write cache, so it should be safe to unplug. Given how many things go wrong even when you do things right, I've got to used to follow these routines strictly. I must be too old now to change habits now. Still I have switched definitely to MSC. :-)

Quote:
I thought I took this picture but I can't not find it again either
In fact you have to put the KR region code and put the FM radio in KR region.
Then you choose your region area in Korea and it preselects local stations with logo for you.
So it's funny to see but useless if you don't live in Korea^^
And useless if you live in Europe and have RDS system

edit:
I found a picture on the internet:
That's probably the picture I was remembering. In fact, having RDS I can't imagine why RDS data is not used to identify presets. I mean, sorting them forcefully by frequency is bad enough (that's as useful as sorting songs by their duration), but not letting the user identify the presets in whatever way that he pleases or at the very least not even identifying them by their RDS name took me by surprise. I expected more. Much more.

And I haven't yet started to post about my failed attempts to have the R1 recognise album-art... I feel I didn't make a great decision getting this thing...

Pepe

Old 01-22-2010, 08:48 AM

Hi! My R0 seems to forget the radio presets in very similar circumstances as what Pepe explains with his R1. They're probably using very simliar software.
Things are like this: If I turn the player off while listening to the radio and then turn it on after a time long enough so it has completely turn off the radio presets are lost. If I do the same but I had turn it off while listening to mp3 files the presets are kept. I haven't done many times yet but so far this is consistent.

Old 01-24-2010, 04:39 PM

Hi iampiti,

Quote:
Originally Posted by iampiti View Post
Hi! My R0 seems to forget the radio presets in very similar circumstances as what Pepe explains with his R1. They're probably using very simliar software.
Things are like this: If I turn the player off while listening to the radio and then turn it on after a time long enough so it has completely turn off the radio presets are lost. If I do the same but I had turn it off while listening to mp3 files the presets are kept. I haven't done many times yet but so far this is consistent.
I'm still trying to understand when it turns off and when it stays in standby mode. Sometimes, when I turn it on, it shows "SAMSUNG" for some time, then goes to the "R1" screen for a few more seconds and then lands you in home page. Another times, when I turn it on, it goes right into the "R1" screen and, almost immediately to home page. It looks as if, in the first case, the R1 is really OFF while in the second it's been in standby instead. At first, I thought that, when you turned the R1 off, it stayed in standby for some time and then went to OFF, but no, it's happened to me that after being turned off for many hours it woke up rapidly, as if in standby.

I'm also wondering whether there's any relation between these OFF vs Standby modes and the amount of battery it uses while supposedly off. On one accasion, it went from 100% to 4% in 24 hours while off. This weekend, in 48 hours, it's gone from 100% to 96% battery. I can't remember about the other time, but this time, it's done the whole startup routine with "SAMSUNG" screen.

As for the radio presets, I haven't yet noticed a relation between staying a long time OFF and lost presets. I'll try to keep an eye on it.

Best,

Pepe