android
Old 01-12-2010, 06:14 PM

thanks - looks like a great UI. will be testing it out tonight!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-12-2010, 07:51 PM

Steagle, you mentioned that audiophiles don't embed album art to their music files. Why not? Does it affect the sound quality?

Old 01-13-2010, 09:00 AM

its more that generally, audiophiles use the folder tree browsing method on their home computers/servers, so putting an album art in the file to be read by the mp3 player or music program means universal control over the album art. Embedding can sometimes be different between different software

Old 01-13-2010, 12:06 PM

there are a few reasons to keep artwork separate from the file:
1- smaller file size (for the music file)
2- quicker buffering in software
3- some software will resize embedded art, often with a reduction in quality
4- programs like foobar2000 have very good 3rd party tools for displaying album art, and it works much better with separate files than art that is embedded in tags
5- separate artwork can always be edited in graphic software if for any reason you're unhappy with it

embedded art has some advantages - such as in this case where you need it to be a particular size for the S9 so it doesn't use it's poor resizing algorithm - but for archiving purposes and home libraries, i don't think it's a wise choice. the best media players for PC (foobar2000) and Mac (Songbird) both support FLAC as well as separate artwork files, so i gave up embedding a long time ago.

Old 01-13-2010, 04:52 PM

Of course I would find this out AFTER embedding art on the better part of 200+gigs of music. Thanks for the info, though So, what if you have the art embedded as well as an image file in the folder with the music files? With the S9, can you elect to use one over the other?

Old 01-13-2010, 07:08 PM

i don't believe so - i looked for that option, but it appears that it defaults to embedded art. if anyone out there knows otherwise, please fill me in! i would love to use my "cover.jpg" images in my music folders to serve as the album artwork on the S9.

and hey don't sweat it about the embedded album art. i did the same thing over the course of several years on my MP3 library - about 1,500 albums worth. when i finally switched from iTunes to foobar2000 as my main music program on my PC, i saw how low quality the cover art was, and found out it was because when i was embedding artwork into my mp3's via iTunes or Windows Media Player, those programs resized the images much lower. and foobar2000 can display album artwork at any size (depending on how large your monitor is) so you can imagine what everything looked like when i had the album art pane set to about 600x600 pixels: crap! i made the decision at that point to save the artwork separately for all albums going forward, and i'm now 100% FLAC so it made sense.

btw discogs.com is a great resource for album art, it's where i get everything (or occasionally Google Image Search if discogs doesn't have something in high quality) - i just save them in the same folder as the music files, and point my software to look for them. i'm now using Songbird because my PC died a few weeks ago and i'm on a MacBook Pro now, so i don't have the same level of customization that foobar2000 had, but i can still see pretty high quality art in the program and suits my needs just fine.

Old 01-15-2010, 02:41 AM

I have found this site to be a great resource for nice 600 x 600+ artwork scans

http://www.albumartexchange.com/covers.php