android
Go Back   abi>>forums > General Audio > Headphones

Old 08-19-2006, 11:54 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Question Sennheiser CX300 and Sharp MD33S... are they the same?

Funny... I was reading a review for the Sennheiser CX300 at Good Gear Guide site this morning and found its design to be exactly the same as my Sharp HP-MD33S (see it at Audiocubes). The only noticeable difference between the two IEMs is the logo stamped on them. I was wondering if they're rebranded from another company. Of course that doesn't detract from those IEMs sound quality -- they have excellent bass and highs IMHO.

Are the Sennheisers 4-pole IEMs? (my Sharps are; they came with an extension cord to convert the 4-pole plug to the standard 3.5 stereo plug)

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-19-2006, 10:25 PM

I don't know if there was ever a conclusive answer, but there were threads on Head-Fi and IAudio forums about these and the EP630's. All appear to be the same....Some say they hear some differeences in them....I believe someone said that Senn admitt to having theirs made by the same OE, but to their specs.
For what it is worth, I have the 300's and my wife has the 630's, both seem the same to me....

Old 08-21-2006, 06:42 PM

Hey, sorry to stray from the topic, but I didn't want to start a new thread about the CX300.

I'm not very familiar with headphones, so please bear with me. What is the purpose of an asymmetrical cable? Also, do theses headphones completely eliminate ambient noises? I have tried them on, but I can still hear a little noise from people.
Thanks for your help!

Old 08-22-2006, 10:11 AM

The asymetric cable is so that you can put the cable behind your neck. The short side is on the side your player is on and the long side goes around. I personally prefer a symetric cable.

I haven't heard the CX300's, but have read a lot about them in my research of IEM's. I've heard that they isolate fairly well, but not as much as the flanged style of earphones, like the Etymotics or as the Shure or Ultimate Ears designs. For that reason, I'm looking at some Etymotic E6i's. I need something for airplane use.
Grado SR-60

Old 08-22-2006, 02:45 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virchow
Hey, sorry to stray from the topic, but I didn't want to start a new thread about the CX300.

I'm not very familiar with headphones, so please bear with me. What is the purpose of an asymmetrical cable? Also, do theses headphones completely eliminate ambient noises? I have tried them on, but I can still hear a little noise from people.
Thanks for your help!
Their isolation is quite good, but Audio Technica ATH-CK7 is better. I've bought a pair of those babies ( $69 on Audiocubes ) after reading some reviews on the Internet, and I must admit, their isolation is far better than the isolation of the Sharps (they have the same design as the CX300, so I tend to think they share the same project). As for sound quality, it's also better than my Sharps (the sound is more detailed, and the bass is stronger without being overwhelming). They have a symmetric cable.

Old 08-23-2006, 04:49 PM

I just bought the CX300s and the sound is awesome! I've been using the stock Creative earbuds with my micro for about 6 months, and the switch to the CX300s is quite noticable. The sound insolation is ok, but it's no real problem.

I just can't believe for all these months I've been using such cheap headphones. I'll never go back to using cheap headphones ever

Old 08-23-2006, 08:26 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
I just bought the CX300s and the sound is awesome! I've been using the stock Creative earbuds with my micro for about 6 months, and the switch to the CX300s is quite noticable. The sound insolation is ok, but it's no real problem.

I just can't believe for all these months I've been using such cheap headphones. I'll never go back to using cheap headphones ever
Yeah, I agree with you about the difference between these Senns, Sharps, etc and the stock earbuds packed with (almost) every MP3 player in the market, because they're pure crap; I've got a bunch of "cheapo" earbuds forgotten in a drawer here at home.

As for the isolation, I think the rubber tips of my IEMs from Sharp didn't fit so well to my inner ears. The tips of my ATH-CK7, however, fit perfectly, providing a superb isolation. But I like the Sharps a lot too.

Old 08-24-2006, 04:40 PM

My only concern is how durable the product is. I bought the cx300 for $60, and I'm a little worried if they will break or something. I take good care of my electronics and things and don't toss them around like nothing, but I was wondering how long a pair of these can last. A few years im hoping?

Old 08-24-2006, 07:26 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
My only concern is how durable the product is. I bought the cx300 for $60, and I'm a little worried if they will break or something. I take good care of my electronics and things and don't toss them around like nothing, but I was wondering how long a pair of these can last. A few years im hoping?
For $60 a pair, they'd better last... they're not cheap by any means.

Old 09-20-2006, 01:15 AM

Regarding asymmetrical/symmetrical cables on IEM's. I toyed with the thought of getting a pair of CX300's till I found out about the asymmetrical cable. I tried a pair of inexpensive Phillips IEM's that had an asymmetrical cable........hated it. Stupid idea, IMO. If it ain't broke don't try to fix it. So, are there decent pairs of IEM's out there with a symmetrical cable I can get without mortgaging the house? How 'bout the Creative EP-630? Asymmetrical or symmetrical cable?

Old 09-21-2006, 12:30 AM

Well actually, I rather like that asymmetrical design. They Y design of most strandard phones have the chord in front while the J design has the chord off to the side so it doesn't get in the way. The only real bad thing is that it looks odd having a cable running across the back of your neck, but it's really not that big of a deal.

Old 09-21-2006, 09:01 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty79
How 'bout the Creative EP-630? Asymmetrical or symmetrical cable?
Symmetrical, AFAIK - they do have a straight plug, IIRC - in contrary to the CX300's 90-plug.

Old 11-07-2006, 04:02 PM

The assymetric cable is very convenient for listening in the dark - you can easily tell the left & right earpieces.

Jim Ford

Old 11-07-2006, 04:06 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford
The assymetric cable is very convenient for listening in the dark - you can easily tell the left & right earpieces.

Jim Ford
On all my earbuds with symmetrical cables I wrap a small piece of transparent adhesive tape around the cable next to the left earbud, so I can always feel which one goes in what ear.

Old 11-07-2006, 05:26 PM
Banned

I believe they use the same body, but may use a different driver, or a differently tuned driver. The CX300s are not four pole.

Old 11-10-2006, 09:42 AM

The MD33 and CX300 have different cords. The MD33 also has a four pole plug instead of the normal stereo three pole plug. This is to provide two separate ground contacts. In addition, the cord material and strain reliefs on the MD33 tend to harden over time. The CX300 cord material seems to be a more durable stiffer covering.

Old 12-16-2006, 03:21 PM

I have wrote to sennhesier in the past and asked this very question...From what i understand, Sennheiser has another company make the molds for the CX300. Because of this, other companies have used this same mold in hopes to attract people into thinking they are the same. However, Creative is the only company that uses the exact same standards when it comes to making their version. Now when i say exact standards, i dont mean EXACT same parts etc etc, just the same overall tech spec of the two are exact. Which is why there is some claim that they are the same, however they dont sound the same.

Old 12-17-2006, 04:55 PM

Did I not read somewhere that LG make all the parts for every LCD TV sold in the world. So all those Sony/Samsung/Phliips TV's contain LG parts.

Anyway, I reckon its the same for this. Are they trying to rip us off by charging more for the upscale brands?

Old 12-28-2006, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE User View Post
Did I not read somewhere that LG make all the parts for every LCD TV sold in the world. So all those Sony/Samsung/Phliips TV's contain LG parts.

Anyway, I reckon its the same for this. Are they trying to rip us off by charging more for the upscale brands?
No, LG does not make ALL of them, but they do make quite a bit of them.

Trivia: LG stands for what? (They try to say it stands for 'Life is Good', but it does not)

Remember the company that made all those cheap crappy vcr's, mini-refrigerators, and things like table-top fans?

Lucky-Goldstar. Sometimes it was branded just as 'Goldstar'.

Now admittedly they have made quite a push in recent years, trying to crack into Samsung's hold on the market, particularly in cell phones. However, in every comparable product they have tried to make to compete with Samsung, the Samsung product ALWAYS cleans the floor with the LGs.

Just a lil trivia.

Anyway, this is a question that I have been wanting to know as well:

The Senn 300's, the Creative 630's, the Sharp MD33's, and now even the Audio Technica's, it is seeming like there is a lot of confusion out there regarding what exactly you are getting when you get a pair of any of these. Heck, I had not even thought of the AT's, now I have another one to consider! Not to mention the fact that there are apparently a lot of gray-market chinese knockoffs out there on Ebay.

So far I have gathered the following: (if any of this is erroneous, please correct me)

The Senns are not actually produced by Sennheiser, but are yet produced to their specs.

The Creatives are also not produced by Creative, but are yet produced according to the SENNHEISER specs - not necessarily meaning the same exact components, but at least similar. Thus leading to conflicting reports that they are identical, or not, but apparently do sound somewhat different. (exactly HOW different and in what ways, I would be extremely interested to hear - has anyone done a really good side-by-side shakedown of these?)

The Sharps I still know absolutely nothing about, but that's ok, as apparently no one on the planet actually sells them.. Not even Amazon?? You kidding me??

I did not know about the AT's, but one poster above stated that they actually sound better to him than the Senn 300's. Again, I would be very interested in a comprehensive side-by-side of these.

Reason I ask is, I am currently doing some side-by-sides on some IEM's, including the 300's. But not the Creatives, as it seems that nobody has picked them up for retail sale in the Houston area - at least none that I can find. So basically I am trying to find out if a test of the 300's is going to tell me what the 630's sound like as well. From what others have said, it doesn't sound like it.

In the next day or two, I will try to post what I have learned from testing between the 300's, some Shure E2c's, and some Vibes. I am letting the Vibes play overnight before I really give them a critical listen.

Old 12-28-2006, 11:06 PM

LG is part of Zenith Corporation. They make pretty nice stuff.. I have an LG cell phone that has been taking a beating for about 2.5 years now and it's like new