android
Old 01-08-2010, 04:19 PM

Default Cowon S9 music folder arrangement

My new Cowon S9 (32gb) is putting tracks within music folders in alphabetical order, instead of their proper order by track number. When I look at the music folder on my computer, the songs in the folder are correctly ordered, by track. When I drag the folder onto the S9, the tracks are put into alphabetical order within the folder. I have looked through the settings of the player and I can't figure out how to change this. Can anyone help me out? Thanks!
hammerbouy

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-08-2010, 08:26 PM

Your tags aren't being recognized. Use something like mp3tag to look at your tags to the files. You might have to experiment. Try retagging an album. On another blow away all tags and then and re-apply them. This will tell you a path forward. If retagging works, all the better. Otherwise it might be that you have to delete the tags and start over. Doing it this way will resolve your problem with few restarts of the S9.

One thing nice about mp3tag is that some of the convert feature can be used to your advantage. You can rename your files with a scheme of your current tags before you blow them away. After all the tags are deleted, you can use the filename to tag conversion to re-apply the tags. This should make things a lot less painful than manually retyping everything. Use a dilimiter between the tags when you rename. Something like a dash works best.

e.g.
Convert|Tag-Filename with "format string" = %artist% - %album% - $num(%track%,2) - %title%

Right click the files and "Remove tag"

To get you tags back:
Convert|Filename-Tag with "format string" = %artist% - %album% - %track% - %title%

mp3tag will also has an autonumbering wizard that could help in you problem as well.

If any amount of experimenting fails ultimately you may be using a tag format that the S9 does not recognize like .wma.

Old 01-10-2010, 01:59 PM

Thanks RoloJam - I'll give that a try!

Old 01-11-2010, 03:20 AM

Also - Cowon players like the leading zero format for track number tags. So -

01, 02, 03... 10, 11

Rather than -

Old 01-11-2010, 05:05 PM

Thanks guys -that mp3tag program is working really well. It's a bit time consuming, but it works. Thanks!

Old 01-12-2010, 06:22 AM

FYI, you can change the numbering automatically as well - select all the tracks in the album (make sure they're in the right order) and then click on the auto-numbering wizard icon on the tool bar, select leading zeros and it'll do it automatically for you.

Old 01-12-2010, 07:54 AM

i solve this by using mediamonkey - on s9
configure/options -
go to top right tab and get it to <track:2> - <title>

this produces say
01 - Race for the prize

rather than <track> - <title>
1 - Race for the prize

which gets lost in the alphabetic system.
also winamp does this as default.

hope this helps