android
Old 12-24-2009, 01:16 AM

Default Which Amp?

Nuforce Icon Mobile
OR
Ibasso T3

Which amp provides better detail, drives higher ohm headphones, great bass and has an excellent soundstage?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-24-2009, 03:46 AM

What player and what phones are you using?

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 12-24-2009, 04:08 AM

Do amps have soundstages? I thought that was headphones?

I have to say the whole amp thing confuses me, especially as I am finding my new amp (iBasso D10) does improve sound quality on lower impedence phones such as Grado SR125i and ATH-M50: More controlled and defined bass, crisper trebbles, overall more detailed and defined sound across the board. I also read I can get different sound signature by changing opamps in it...

None of this makes sense with what I thought an amp did: provide more current for phones which could not get enough to fulfill their potential from the daps amp.

Am I imagining these changes, or not understanding what it is amps do?

Old 12-24-2009, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieE View Post
Do amps have soundstages? I thought that was headphones?

I have to say the whole amp thing confuses me, especially as I am finding my new amp (iBasso D10) does improve sound quality on lower impedence phones such as Grado SR125i and ATH-M50: More controlled and defined bass, crisper trebbles, overall more detailed and defined sound across the board. I also read I can get different sound signature by changing opamps in it...

None of this makes sense with what I thought an amp did: provide more current for phones which could not get enough to fulfill their potential from the daps amp.

Am I imagining these changes, or not understanding what it is amps do?
Here are my thoughts: http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...57&postcount=1 if this is going to lead that way, probably better post there than here.

Old 12-24-2009, 04:31 AM

Thanks Walkgood, good post and does answer some questions.

Old 12-24-2009, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
What player and what phones are you using?
Combination of player zune, sansa fuze and ipod video

and is the Little Dot Micro+ Portable Amp better than both?

Old 12-25-2009, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMan View Post
Nuforce Icon Mobile OR Ibasso T3

Which amp provides better detail, drives higher ohm headphones, great bass and has an excellent soundstage?
Quote:
Combination of player zune, sansa fuze and ipod video

and is the Little Dot Micro+ Portable Amp better than both?
What phones/iem’s are you using? Do they really need an amp? Unless your talking about the included buds with the 3 DAP’s you mention? In which case I would recommend that you first look at investing into a decent set of headphones/iem’s, rather than spending your money on an amp.

I do not have personal experience with the 3 amps you mentioned but I have read: Little Dot Micro+ is a noisy amp with a lot of hiss and aside from the good case there’s not much to want, I’d pass on it. The Nuforce Icon Mobile has a cheap build quality and it doesn’t have a power switch, it turns on when 3.5mm headphone plug is connected. Don’t know about you, but I prefer an on/off switch built into the potentiometer or a dedicated power switch. Which brings us to the Ibasso T3; AFAIK it’s not much different than the T4, dfkt owns the T4 and he has posted his impressions about it here, you might want to look around for his views on it.

You might want to read Skylab's review on 48 portable amps here, a bit lengthy but a must read if you are bound and determined to get a portable amp. Good luck and let us hear what you decide and how you like ...

Last edited by WalkGood; 12-25-2009 at 09:42 AM.

Old 12-25-2009, 08:35 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
What phones/iem’s are you using? Do they really need an amp?
I think he is the guy with the HFI-2000 headphones.

Old 12-25-2009, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
I think he is the guy with the HFI-2000 headphones.
Your right Marvin, guess I was too lazy to look or there’s just too much going on over here on Christmas day … currently flying one of the boys remote control chopper and trying to shoot down the big bad Christmas tree

Quote:
I use the Ultrasone HFI-2000 currently and i like them alot(they sound great from my sound card)...but for portable use without an amp on mp3 player they do not sound good … …

They’re only 75 Ohm’s and I would think a DAP with a strong amp could power them fine, but since you are already use to listening to them with more power you’ll probably never be satisfied with them powered by a DAP source without an amp.

AFAIK the HFI-2000s are open phones and a lot of sound leaks out, so for portable use where isolation is key, they might not be the best option. That said, I do prefer all the open phones I’ve tested over closed (much better soundstage) but do want to buy a pair of closed phones soon for just that use.

Ok, back to amp’s, I guess the next question would be what your budget is and what level of tolerance to hiss do you have. I only state this because I believe that all portable amps do introduce a little hiss to the equation, on the more expensive ones it can only be heard with the volume on full and the tunes on pause, the cheaper the amps get the more hiss that is typically introduced and some can be heard between tracks on the real bad ones. For example, with my current pico on high gain using high impedance phones (300 Ohms), I can’t hear any hiss. But with it on low gain and my ue11’s at full volume/music paused I can hear a faint hiss, although it really doesn’t bother me as it’s unrealistic to be at that point and as long as I don’t have any hiss between tracks I’m happy.

Although I have listened to a bunch of portable amps, I think the link I provided above should help you narrow down a selection better than I. If their cost is out of your budget I would either save up or IMHO you might want to think twice as you already have nice phones and a set up that your happy with at home …

Old 01-01-2010, 09:19 PM

i've narrowed it down to these choices:

Minibox-D

PA2V2

Nuforce Icon Mobile

Which would be best for me?
(Compared to my realtek ac888s onboard sound card on my pc, which i like the sound of)