android
Old 12-01-2009, 08:20 PM

Default 5v 800mA wall charger suitable for Clip+'s battery?

Hi,

I just bought a Clip+, and was thinking of buying an AC adapter charger to charge it without having to switch the PC on every time, but then I remembered an old Sony charger I have. Now it's rated at 5v and 800mA, and I just wanted to double check that it's not going to cause any damage to the battery or circuitry in the long run? I've done a quick test and it seems to charge up just fine, but if the current is too high then obviously i'll stop using it right away.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-01-2009, 08:24 PM
Ultra Senior Member

It should be fine....I used to use a 5V 1000mA on my old Clip.

Old 12-02-2009, 02:50 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Just fine; 5V and 500 mA or a bit lower is just fine.

Old 12-02-2009, 02:54 PM
Ultra Senior Member

the voltage is the important thing...the player won't draw more current than it needs if i recall correctly. If the charger can supply 800mA but the player only draws 500mA, then it's all good. You don't want it the other way though cause it will fry the charger.

Old 12-02-2009, 02:59 PM

I charge my Clip with either a 1000mA or a 400mA charger (depending if I'm at home or on the go), both work fine.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
I charge my Clip with either a 1000mA or a 400mA charger (depending if I'm at home or on the go), both work fine.
I just ordered a 5V 330mA charger..the price was right ($1 + free shipping). I've been reading that these chargers don't put out enough juice to fully charge a battery?. Is this true dfkt?.

If so no biggie, I'm only out a buck and I've already got a good USB wall charger. I just wanted to get a second charger for travelling.

Old 12-03-2009, 10:20 PM
Ultra Senior Member

That's getting at the low end of amperage, but you may be fine (it just may take longer to charge).

Old 12-05-2009, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerman View Post
That's getting at the low end of amperage, but you may be fine (it just may take longer to charge).

so I tried the new 330mA charger today and have stopped using it straight away. Every time I plugged my player into it the blue light would not turn off forcing a hard reset + the charger was actually draining the battery?!. Weird.

So what can these chargers be used for..cell phones?.

Old 12-24-2009, 12:16 AM

It is not enough to just think in terms of 5V/USB and mA rating. Some chargers out there are really terrible junk that shouldn't even be used for anything. Some are overrated. Some have quite high ripple. If it seems like it's dirt cheap, wonder why.

Any USB power source that accurately claims 500mA can charge anything that is supposed to be USB charge capable, 500mA is the upper limit for USB compliant devices, but it doesn't necessarily mean a device won't get by ok with less than that, things with small Lithium cell battery packs taking multiple hours to charge can't possibly do anything with so much as 500mA current. For example if you have a 600mAH single cell (~ 3.7V) battery pack and it takes 3 hours to charge, it can't be using much more than 200mA (a few dozen mA more to account for inefficiencies but a few dozen mA less potentially if it has a switching step-down circuit (5V->4.2V peak) for charging instead of linear).