android
Old 11-29-2009, 05:38 PM

Default player not charging

This was bought in August 2008. After connecting my player to my computer to recharge it, the player lights up and says "connected". I don't remember if in the past it said "charging" opposed to "connected". When I turn on the switch, it still doesn't work. I can't put my hand on the manual right now, but I am guessing the battery is gone and not replaceable.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Karen

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-29-2009, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musiclvr56 View Post
This was bought in August 2008. After connecting my player to my computer to recharge it, the player lights up and says "connected". I don't remember if in the past it said "charging" opposed to "connected". When I turn on the switch, it still doesn't work. I can't put my hand on the manual right now, but I am guessing the battery is gone and not replaceable.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Karen

from reading your post it does sound like your battery is dead. It's never happened to me but from reading posts from others the consensus is to get a USB wall charger (Ebay and other places) and charge it for a LONG time...like 24 hours. This should bring your player back to life again. And yes connected does not mean charging. When plugging player into computer you should look for the connected icon on your computer + the green charging icon on the player. As a general rule I never let my Clip get below 20% between charges.

Last edited by oobergeek; 11-29-2009 at 06:33 PM.

Old 11-29-2009, 06:32 PM

Default mp3 player battery

Thank you for your reply. Where do you get the wall charger and approximately how much does it cost? Sometimes it is more expensive to purchase a battery than to get a new one. You mentinoed that you don't let it go below 20%-mine doesn't show how low it is.

Thanks,
Karen

Old 11-29-2009, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musiclvr56 View Post
Thank you for your reply. Where do you get the wall charger and approximately how much does it cost? Sometimes it is more expensive to purchase a battery than to get a new one. You mentinoed that you don't let it go below 20%-mine doesn't show how low it is.

Thanks,
Karen

A charger costs almost nothing. I've included an Ebay link for you to see what it looks like..under $10 for sure.

Your Clip's battery indicator is a graphic indicator(upper right corner of the screen)...when fully charged it looks like a solid orange battery. Then gradually depletes with usage. You can also get your battery charge (exact number) in the info section under SETTINGS menu in your Clip. Here's the link

http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-Car-Wall-Cha...DLVI%26ps%3D63

Old 12-23-2009, 05:11 PM

If you want to charge it without having it try to connect to a computer, there is another possible option if your computer has a front mounted USB port.

The difference between the wall charger and computer port is of course the computer has the data +, data - pins connected. With the front mounted ports there is a length of wire going to a connector block that plugs into the motherboard (obvious to some people but I mention it in context), if you simply consult the pinout or your wires have the standard colors (green and white are the data pins, red and black the power), you can use a needle to gently pry up the lock tabs on the USB connector block and slip the wires out, leaving the functional equivalent of only a power charging port temporarily (so no need to wait on receiving a charger or spending the money if you didn't have another use for it).

However, when my clip had a battery problem recently, leaving it charging did no good. Leaving it sit awhile the battery would recover enough it would begin to refresh the database but it always shut back off from low battery. I popped it open, removed the battery and replicated the problem with a variable voltage power source, if ever I set power supply voltage below approx ~3.35V, the problem occurred, but at this voltage and higher the player still works.