android
  #1  
Old 12-09-2009, 09:34 PM
fredfred fredfred is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 5
Default Will Cold Weather Harm A Clip?

Question for you folks. I have an 8GB Clip I got about 8 months ago. So this will be the first winter I've had it. Often, I leave my clip in with my textbooks, in my car. Of course, I live in Detroit, and it gets a little cold in the winter.

Would leaving it in my car, possibly for several days at a time, adversely affect my Clip? The only thing I could imagine it would hurt would be the battery and / or the screen. Anyone know anything about how this device holds up to temperatures down to, say, 0 degrees Fahrenheit?

Thanks for any information anyone can offer.
Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

  #2  
Old 12-12-2009, 01:54 PM
ultrauber's Avatar
ultrauber ultrauber is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 516
Default

hmm, considering that the most sensitive part is the flash mem, you should be fine b/c most can take up to -14 stored. that said, when running, it may not be as tolerant. if you have it on, i'd keep it in your pocket to warm it up.
usually warm temp is worse then low temp
__________________
Cowon S9 32GB > HiFiMan RE0 (RIP) | Sansa Clip+ 16GB (Rockbox) > Soundmagic PL20
If you have problems, try MSC mode, then google.com
Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old 12-12-2009, 04:41 PM
epithetless's Avatar
epithetless epithetless is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Boston, Mass
Posts: 1,613
Default

Extreme cold will drain the lithium battery in no time, though. I wouldn't be surprised if you return to your car after a few days to find the Clip unresponsive without a charge.
__________________
Rockbox Themes:
Sansa Fuze: XL Fuzed // Sansa Clip/Clip+: Cliplined
Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old 12-12-2009, 05:51 PM
WalkGood's Avatar
WalkGood WalkGood is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: FL
Posts: 12,579
Default

Yes, either extreme cold or heat will damage it, why would you leave something as small as the Clip in your car that easily fits in any pocket or can be clipped on to you. I either I have my i7 or my clip with me on all outings other than swimming and never leave one of my DAPís in the car.
__________________
WalkGood,
Ramůn

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old 12-12-2009, 08:43 PM
ultrauber's Avatar
ultrauber ultrauber is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 516
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
Yes, either extreme cold or heat will damage it, why would you leave something as small as the Clip in your car that easily fits in any pocket or can be clipped on to you. I either I have my i7 or my clip with me on all outings other than swimming and never leave one of my DAPís in the car.
I don't think 0 F really classifies as extreme cold, does it? I agree with epithetless, keep it in your pocket.

Another option could be those glove warmers some people use when skiing. Sandwich the clip between two with a rubber band and stick it in your glove box. That shouldn't be too warm.
__________________
Cowon S9 32GB > HiFiMan RE0 (RIP) | Sansa Clip+ 16GB (Rockbox) > Soundmagic PL20
If you have problems, try MSC mode, then google.com
Reply With Quote

  #6  
Old 12-12-2009, 09:45 PM
saratoga saratoga is offline
Rockbox Developer / Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,617
Default

I don't think theres anything in a flash player thats all that cold sensitive. The battery may not work when its cold, but thats just because the reaction kinetics that drive the battery current are temperature dependent.
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old 12-13-2009, 09:17 AM
stargazer stargazer is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: western Maine, USA
Posts: 94
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrauber View Post
I don't think 0 F really classifies as extreme cold, does it? I agree with epithetless, keep it in your pocket.

I think 0 F is about minus 16 C (-16C ). It was just about that temp. here this morning and yes, it is quite cold, but not like 40 below. (40 below F and -40 C are the same temp. Only spot they are the same.

I leave stuff out in the cold often, left my new e345 sony out in the truck overnight at least once. I thought most electronics worked OK in outerspace? Of course they have solar to overcome the battery problem. But when the battery warms it works fine. I also use a cheap $3.75 cigarette lighter plug with a usb hole in it. I run the standard mini usb cable to the player and it plays without draining the battery. This works with the sansa's proprietary cable also.
Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old 12-17-2009, 07:38 AM
MikeRob MikeRob is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 7
Default

I have used my Clip outside in temps down to -40. Of course I had clipped to my shirt under several layers of clothes. It's been left outside in cold temps for a few hours with no damage but like others have said, expect the battery to drain faster.
Reply With Quote

  #9  
Old 12-17-2009, 08:53 AM
JK98 JK98 is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,005
Default

Leaving it in your car is not a good idea. If the temperature gets too low(perhaps below 10 or 0 degrees F?) the battery could even freeze and get damaged, or the screen could get damaged. When outside in very cold weather, it is a good idea to keep the player next to your body, under your coat. Well before it is cold enough to damage the player, if the player gets very cold, power output from the battery will get too low, and the player will stop working until the battery warms up somewhat.

Last edited by JK98; 12-17-2009 at 09:01 AM.
Reply With Quote

  #10  
Old 12-18-2009, 11:14 AM
stargazer stargazer is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: western Maine, USA
Posts: 94
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98 View Post
Leaving it in your car is not a good idea. If the temperature gets too low(perhaps below 10 or 0 degrees F?) the battery could even freeze and get damaged, or the screen could get damaged. When outside in very cold weather, it is a good idea to keep the player next to your body, under your coat. Well before it is cold enough to damage the player, if the player gets very cold, power output from the battery will get too low, and the player will stop working until the battery warms up somewhat.
I hadn't heard the battery could freeze. Don't space probes have screens?

Haven't you heard about the trouble the martian rover is having? I think it's running windows. Camera shows that the screen says "push any button to continue"

Seriously, I should have mentioned that a problem occurs when you expose electronics or optics to warmth after the deep freeze. Always wrap in plastic or bag in a plastic bag, so the condensation occurs outside the plastic instead of inside the components.

It was 11 degrees below zero F here this morning.

I don't leave my player in the truck deliberately, but due to exhaustion after a long run. Just glad to get home, and I have water and lunch box and glasses and etc. to drag into the house.

Last edited by stargazer; 12-18-2009 at 07:41 PM.
Reply With Quote

  #11  
Old 12-18-2009, 01:14 PM
JK98 JK98 is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,005
Default

Cold doesn't drain the battery, it slows the chemical reactions down which create power, and if it is cold enough, the battery won't put out enough power. The battery will put out power and operate well again once it warms up. The danger though is that it gets too cold and the battery freezes and gets permanently damaged. The screen can also freeze if it gets cold enough, and be permanently damaged.


http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm

Last edited by JK98; 12-18-2009 at 01:25 PM.
Reply With Quote

  #12  
Old 12-18-2009, 07:58 PM
stargazer stargazer is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: western Maine, USA
Posts: 94
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98 View Post
Cold doesn't drain the battery, it slows the chemical reactions down which create power, and if it is cold enough, the battery won't put out enough power. The battery will put out power and operate well again once it warms up. The danger though is that it gets too cold and the battery freezes and gets permanently damaged. The screen can also freeze if it gets cold enough, and be permanently damaged.


http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm
Used your link, very interesting information at that site. Thank you. Seems to mean that in a arctic climate like we enjoy here in the winter, and electric car or scooter would be a bad idea. I guess that camping out in winter requires you to take real care of your batteries.

I'll try to be more careful to bring in my phone and player.
Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:25 AM.