android
Old 12-01-2009, 06:46 PM

Default Is the D2 strong enough to drive the RE0?

Currently, I have the RE2 and got it for 30 bucks back and I am please with the purchase. The clarity and the mids in the RE2 are great. However, the RE2 is lacking sound-stage and some bass for me and I was wondering whether I should return the RE2 and replace it with a RE0 for about 50 bucks more? Is my D2 along without an amp enough to bring out the great SQ from the RE0? Thanks for your replies.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-01-2009, 06:50 PM

I have neither the D2 nor the RE0 (although I want the latter) but the D2 has a fairly good amp internally, from what I've heard, and the RE0 are only IEMs. You'll probably be fine, but if you want to kill your ears, consider a small amp.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:23 PM

AFAIK the REO's impedence is 64 Ohms, so the D2 should drive them fine.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 12-01-2009, 07:59 PM

If it's just the bass you're missing you could try boosting the bass wiht a small cheap amp like the FiiO E5

Old 12-02-2009, 12:18 AM

thanks for the suggestions. BTW Flamin, I see that you are also using the RE2's. I was wondering is it really worth to spend that 20 bucks on the Fiio E5? Do you hear a big improvement? I try to tinker with the Bass setting in the D2 but the result is still not satisfying.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:47 AM

People's perceptions are always different. If the D2's bass settings are not enough, then the FiiO may help. I do not notice a huge difference in the e5 vs the Mach3bass and EQ tinkering wiht the D2, however I also do not listen to extremely bass-heavy music. I also don't like ot have too much bass because it, more than any other frequency, gives me headaches. The Bass boost on the e5 has been recommended many times in the headphone amplifier forum, however, and has been said to pair fantastically with the RE2. before you go out and buy another pair of expensive headphones the Fiio might be a good alternative, besides it's not that expensive. Of course the best results would come with an amplifier that has more control, but the Fiio has been a good cheap alternative for many people

Old 12-16-2009, 01:30 PM

will the D2+ be able to drive the Ultrasone HFI-2000's perfectly?

Old 12-18-2009, 01:23 PM

hehe i owns D2 amd S9 and i am using RE2 too along with Fiio E5. i can tell u that fioo 5 and re2 has really good synergy. bass boost on fiio e5 makes re 2 more vivid. middle sounds more open while sub 500 hz nicely saturate bass + low mid. purely enjoyable. ( metal , electronic etc...)
btw.. my SQ on D2 : eq. +5..+3..0..+4..+5
BBE 1... mach bass 5 mp enhance off that is best setting for my taste pretty much universal for all genres. i only tweak sound via fiio if i listen to dnb or other stuff such as electronic which is always bassier then metal/rock. gl with fiio.. btw.. i believe fiio 5 + RE 0 will be awesome.. since re0 manage more sound resolution without distortion^^

Old 12-18-2009, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamin_Spirit View Post
If it's just the bass you're missing you could try boosting the bass wiht a small cheap amp like the FiiO E5
You really don't need a FiiO with the D2. BBE Mach3Bass is a lot better bass enhancer than the E5's comparatively muddy bass boost.

Furthermore, with 64 Ohm phones, the D2 displays no bass roll-off or hiss at all. The FiiO toy amp would only make the sound worse. I didn't notice any difference driving my RE0 directly from a player, or using a decent amp like the Headsix as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMan View Post
will the D2+ be able to drive the Ultrasone HFI-2000's perfectly?
I had no complaints driving my 35 Ohm HFI-780 with the D2. The specs of the HFI-2000 are 75 Ohm/92dB - which might certainly be a bit on the quiet side without an amp.