android
Old 12-10-2009, 11:47 AM

Default USB Charger usage

This is getting fun. I can see how you all can get addicted to these things

When I hook the Clip+ (....looks funny to read "hook" and "clip" in the same sentence....) anyhoo, when I attach my Clip+ to the computer to either add media or charge it up, I am unable to use the device for playback. I totally understand this. I recently purchased a charger that fits in the cigar lighter/power supply hole in my truck so I can charge my Clip+ when I'm away from my computer. Everything attached well. I turn my player on as it doesn't come on automatically like when hooked to the computer, and I see the little battery charging indicator light scrolling back and forth like I do when it's on the computer.........AND I can also USE my Clip+ while it is hooked up in my truck. Is this a normal action with these chargers and is my Clip+ actually be charged while I'm listening to it? In other words, am I gaining anything by using the charger other than not using as much battery as without the charger?

Like I said, this is getting fun.

Thanks for all your help, your time, and knowledge and for sharing all of it.

Mike

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-10-2009, 12:33 PM
Visiting troll from Pocketables

There is no data connection, which doesnt put the clip into transfer mode with the separate charger. If you took a mini USB cable, cut off the two data wires and connected to a PC you'd get the same result. Normally chargers are more than the 5-600mA of a USB port, say 800-1000mA, so it should charge faster if thats the case.

Old 12-10-2009, 12:51 PM

Actually, the data lines have to be present (shorted together, even) - even for a dedicated charging port, like an AC adapter that adheres to the USB specs. If the USB device gets no signal on the data lines, it might be unable to decide if it should go into dedicated charging mode or into connect mode, and it might pull less current than it could. Seems like not all chargers adhere to those specs.

Source: http://www.usb.org/developers/devcla...arging_1_1.zip - especially chapter 3.

Old 12-10-2009, 09:12 PM

Wow! That is a little over my head. So, I cannot charge the drained battery of my Clip+ by using an adapter that plugs into the 12 volt power socket of my truck and then also connects to my device?

Catching my breath
Michael

Old 12-11-2009, 08:38 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Yes, you can charge via the cigarette lighter slot in your car. And chargers you have around, such as GPS chargers, may work. (My Mio charger works just fine.)

Old 12-11-2009, 01:08 PM

Okey Dokey, Smokie!!! Thanks!

Old 12-11-2009, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerman View Post
Yes, you can charge via the cigarette lighter slot in your car. And chargers you have around, such as GPS chargers, may work. (My Mio charger works just fine.)
yeah I just had a brainstorm when I was reading your reply. So if I plugged in a USB car charger into my player and then plugged the car charger into a car charger to wall adapter could I charge my player while listening to it?. I do have one of those car chargers -->wall charger which charges my portable GPS.

Old 12-11-2009, 03:36 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oobergeek View Post
yeah I just had a brainstorm when I was reading your reply. So if I plugged in a USB car charger into my player and then plugged the car charger into a car charger to wall adapter could I charge my player while listening to it?. I do have one of those car chargers -->wall charger which charges my portable GPS.
Probably. But, in that case, you should also be able to accomplish the same thing (charging while listening) with a standard USB-to-AC (wall power) adapter, circumventing the need for a car charger to even enter the equation.

Old 12-11-2009, 07:51 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Just to remove the "should" from epithetless's comment...

I regularly charge my Clip, Fuze, Samsung YP-Z5, and Zen Stone using a wall plug-to-USB charger. In the car, I use a car socket-to-USB adapter. Both work wonderfully well.

Steve

Old 12-14-2009, 06:34 PM

Quote:
when I attach my Clip+ to the computer to either add media or charge it up, I am unable to use the device for playback
I have only had my Clip+ for a few days and so far am very pleased. I have come across more than one thread commenting that you cannot play the Clip+ while connected to the computer (or maybe I am misunderstanding the comment) but I can play music files from the Clip+ with Foobar2000 in XP and Rhythmbox in Ubuntu. Is this something I should not do?

Old 12-14-2009, 08:37 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Nope, that's absolutely fine to do. And if you plug your Clip into AC (wall) power, you can both recharge and play the Clip at the same time.

Old 12-15-2009, 07:31 AM

Thanks for all the help here. Everything working fine thanks to your advice.

Mike

Old 12-16-2009, 11:51 AM

So whats a good Wall USB charger for the Clip+'s? I don't want to plug something in that will fry the lil guy ....

Old 12-16-2009, 12:32 PM

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2379
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2380
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2381

Old 12-16-2009, 01:46 PM

Tks DFKT ... as always....