android
Old 12-03-2009, 07:33 PM

Default Why has no one requested more colours?

That's my request Sandisk - more colours! I was afraid to post this in the requests thread for fear of being shot down, as no one has deemed it a worthy or genuine feature request since it seems to be all sound and interface related - at least AFAIK (if not, please point me to that thread).

In an otherwise perfect little player for the price, this seems to be the most annoying omission. I can understand why people would be upset about AAC support or pitch problems or true gapless playback, but that's all justified at the low end market. However the previous Clip was treated to way more colours, so they've already proven that it's not too expensive to be less stingy with the body paint.

If I was biased I'd say, "Just get me an 8gig burgundy!" but it's gotta be annoying for people who want the colours in the smaller size as well, or those who wouldn't mind a pink one - that's usually a common option. Plus I don't understand why the options are only available at the middle range - why downsell? Surely, you should maximise the options or features on the most expensive model to upsell the consumer, no? And given that this is such a great competitor to the hideous Shuffle, you'd think more colours would be another easy way to outshine it.

Anyway, if anyone has news on other colours being added, then that would be great if you let me in on that too.

Rant over.

Last edited by TheConciseStatement; 12-04-2009 at 10:58 AM. Reason: Coherence

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-03-2009, 09:17 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The color is just on the faceplate though. All the Clip+ players are black on the back and sides. With the Clip, the color was for the front and back. Having a few different colors though not only increases production cost, but makes things more difficult for retailers(ie being sold out in one color and having too many of another color left). Another idea would be to have two or 3 different colored skins in the box. How much would that cost?

Old 12-03-2009, 10:25 PM
Ultra Senior Member

A range of colors seems to be a hit with some other players ...

Old 12-04-2009, 02:19 AM

In places where the Clip+ is sold out, the burgundy ones remain. I've noticed it's quite hard to get the blue one in my part of the world.

If SanDisk does more colors, I want lime green. Just think about how sick that would be with side and back being black.

Old 12-04-2009, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerman View Post
A range of colors seems to be a hit with some other players ...
When you have a player that sells like hotcakes, it's easy to absorb the unwanted color stock.

It's a game of numbers: any player that wants to be successful has to have at least X units in the channel on-launch. Otherwise, you might have shortages if the player is popular out the gate. But if you segregate this set of players into different colors, you have to increase the amount of minimum stock for every color you add, just to make sure the people who want to buy one can find their favorite color.

But the top-end players don't have to play by those rules, because they sell so fast that they have aggressive just-in-time supply lines to replenish stock, even at launch. If a certain color player is not selling well, it's still selling better than most other popular players on the market. So, you have just the latency of a couple days of inventory (and the costs of a factory retool). But the smaller vendors that sell 1/10 the volume (or less) take a long time to sell-out the existing X inventory they built for launch, so multiple colors are more of a gamble for them.

Yeah, you can avert some of this with market research prior to shipping, but no research can fully prepare you for the reality that is the mp3 player market.

Old 12-09-2009, 03:35 AM

Default That was a good solid analysis of the problem, defaultluser.

Thanks for that.

The Concise Statement.

Last edited by TheConciseStatement; 12-09-2009 at 04:31 AM.

Old 12-09-2009, 03:48 AM
Visiting troll from Pocketables

It all comes down to a simple economic principle: MR vs MC, marginal revenue vs marginal cost. Marginal revenue is the extra revenue brought by more colors, marginal cost is the extra cost. Note that MR in this case is not the revenue per device times the number of players sold for that color, but rather the revenue per device times the number of devices sold for that color where the buyer wouldn't have bought a player otherwise. While many people might want e.g a green clip+, I doubt there are many people who would refrain from buying a clip+ altogether because it isn't available in the color they want. Apparently not enough to justify the MC, anyways, seeing how SanDisk doesn't offer more colors. The black one is rather generic and should fit a lot of people, more so than pink or blue. Burgundy is somewhat generic too. There's a reason why most gadgets are silver/grey or black

Old 12-09-2009, 04:39 AM

Default And thanks Andreas.

See I think the burgundy colour is great for exactly that - it's different whilst not being polarising like say a bright pink or orange might be to the point where it's a niche and won't recoup the cost. So I think there's a reasonable argument for them offering the small set colour options already on the table at the higher capacity.

Maybe not the lower capacity, because it make sense to restrict features on the cheaper end, i.e.; the You-Get-What-You-Pay-For philosophy, but although I trust your summation of market factors, penalising customers who are willing to spend more money, at least psychologically, just doesn't make sense.

The Concise Statement.

Old 12-09-2009, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by defaultluser View Post
When you have a player that sells like hotcakes, it's easy to absorb the unwanted color stock.

It's a game of numbers: any player that wants to be successful has to have at least X units in the channel on-launch. Otherwise, you might have shortages if the player is popular out the gate. But if you segregate this set of players into different colors, you have to increase the amount of minimum stock for every color you add, just to make sure the people who want to buy one can find their favorite color.

But the top-end players don't have to play by those rules, because they sell so fast that they have aggressive just-in-time supply lines to replenish stock, even at launch. If a certain color player is not selling well, it's still selling better than most other popular players on the market. So, you have just the latency of a couple days of inventory (and the costs of a factory retool). But the smaller vendors that sell 1/10 the volume (or less) take a long time to sell-out the existing X inventory they built for launch, so multiple colors are more of a gamble for them.

Yeah, you can avert some of this with market research prior to shipping, but no research can fully prepare you for the reality that is the mp3 player market.
This is just an observation that I've had this Christmas....I've must have shopped in 7 different electronic stores buying gifts and outside of Costco every other store has had BIG Apple displays with their whole line of mp3 products lined up to show all the different colour choices. I guess in Apple's case the same sayings still hold true..."give the people what they want", and "sometimes you have to spend money to make money". This is not an endorsement of Apple, but it wouldn't hurt Sandisk to take a page from Apple's book.

Last edited by oobergeek; 12-09-2009 at 07:47 AM.

Old 12-09-2009, 08:50 AM
Visiting troll from Pocketables

Apple has 70% of the MP3 player market. As people have said, the MC of producing and distributing the whole range of colors is too much for SanDisk compared to the MR. If anything, I think a better choice for SD would be special editions available at major retailers online such as buy.com, bestbuy.com, amazon.com. They you would limit the distribution cost of the extra colors and even charge extra (think of the "special edition" koss portapro).

Old 12-09-2009, 04:42 PM

I agree that it's strange that they have not introduced the same colors available for the 4GB on the 8GB model by now. They've had months to feel-out the popularity of the various colors.

I can only guess that the color models aren't selling as well as Sandisk hoped, or (worse), the entire line isn't selling as well as they hoped.

I certainly hope the Clip+ is selling as well as its predecessor. It's a really nice player

Old 12-09-2009, 09:23 PM

I think the proper question is - why would anyone request more colors? Seriously, of all the features I want in any electronic device I own, what color it is is absolute dead last on my list of priorities. I would certainly hope Sansa has better things to work on than what color the thing is.

Old 12-11-2009, 11:03 AM

Default Really fredfred?

You don't care what it looks likes at all? Supposing your chosen mp3 player had the exact same spec it does the now but it was only available in pink with gold stars, or fluorescent yellow - I dunno, insert what you find to be putrid - you'd probably still buy it? I mean, I see companies stick to an uncontroversial palette to avoid that problem, but are you not bothered either way?

Personally, I don't think you need to be particularly style conscious to not want to buy something you find ugly. I mean I find the blue a bit unsightly myself and if I'm gonna buy anything that costs 55-65 quid, like a pair of jeans, I think it's fair to ask that there's enough range to pick something that looks, you know, okay.

Tags
burgundy red, color colors, colour color, pink