android
Old 01-14-2007, 12:08 PM

Default Anybody Know How to Install Clix Drivers in XP?

Some of you may not have followed the thread in the Posting "PC not recognising Clix", where deep into the Posting is the start of a discussion about what to do when your Clix is not recognized by XP's built-in drivers for the Clix.

I have that problem as you will see reading the Posts. I started this new thread to focus on 1 issue in hopes that a computer guru can solve my problem. The Clix is fine, because it works when I connect it to a friend's PC with XP and WMP 10. XP drivers/id/? are not supporting the Clix. How to fix?

I do not want to format my HD and reinstall XP and SP2 and all the updates for the last several years. Unless someone can calm me, I am "afraid" to reinstall SP2 for fear that there will be conflicts with a currently up-to-date XP Pro system. I'd like a bulleted approach that addresses the Clix USB connection drivers. I added the Clix id to the posted file in the Windows\inf folder. Something "else" is needed. Any suggestions?

Phil

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-15-2007, 01:20 PM

Unhappy To my mind this is not just a question of some stupid drivers, I am afraid

Hi Phil, I am really curious whether you will eventually succeed in making a connection to the Clix based “only” on some drivers (without installing WMP 10+). I am not so positive about that. I tried to follow the USB entries in the Windows registry myself and finally gave up.

I do not think that this USB connection just relies on some drivers, it is much more tricky. The Clix is mounted and shown in the Windows Explorer in a way that you might think, it is some sort of an ordinary drive, but in fact, it is not a matter of just installing some stupid drivers in a specific directory.

The whole DRM thing was much too important for them (music industry, Microsoft, iRiver and all the others) and I am afraid they did a good job (at least as far as amateurs like me are concerned).

To my mind, it might be a much better approach to think about different OS to make a connection to the Clix. Gianni seems to be rather successful on an UNIX system. Perhaps Microsoft was not so careful about protecting the Clix from other OS, but as far as XP is concerned, I am sure it will be hard for you to figure out how they have done it actually.

Have you already seen this WMPInfo XML-file which can be found in the root directory of your Clix (if you have installed WMP 11 or in the “Media” directory for WMP 10)? You can copy it to your computer and have a closer look at it. There is a XML node called “DeviceInfo” and some more information (WMP DeviceID and a RelationshipID). This might be useful when you are scanning your XP installation or the registry for it in connection with the USB entries.

Good luck and please tell us if you have any news on that.

Old 01-15-2007, 03:53 PM

Default Solution for Creative Zen M Connection Problem...Need Similar for Clix

I was browsing the other Forums on this site and stumbled across a guy with a Zen M that had a "similar" problem at heart. The following solution was given and it worked for the Zen and posted as Sticky by ZenChick who is a Moderator "I'm going to sticky this thread. Thanks for the useful tip! on
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6328."

"ok i fixed my problem after a day of panicking and reading every possible post on every possible website.. if youre reading this and had the same issue i did, all you need to do is download this file fixup.zip from www.delldjsite.com

(if the link is broken, try to search the creative support forums for a file called "fixup.zip"). run the cmd file in the folder and follow the steps, it will edit your registry settings for that device and remove it. then u disconnect everything, restart your computer and plug your device in, and it will now recognize it, allowing you to do the firmware upgrade."

I downloaded the file and unpacked it and read the inf file. Basically, the executable goes into the Registry and for the Zen device and several non-Clix iriver devices refreshes the Registry entries to the correct id values.

From this it looks like my problem can be solved by editing the Registry. This file does it automatically for Zen M and some iriver devices. Each device has its own id. From the earlier thread (PC Does Not Recognize Clix), a Forum member added the comment "Inside the WPDMTPHW.INF file there is a listing for the iRiver devices, but the id for Clix is not included. This is the file that determines how to install the drivers.

If you double check your setupapi.log file you will see the device_id the Clix your computer sees. For the two computers I have installed my clix on; the id was USB\VID_4102&PID112A .

When I added this id to the list of iRiver devices listed in the .INF file, performed a driver update for the device everything worked perfect."

This shows what the Clix id "is". I added to the wpdmtphw.inf file, but this did not solve my problem...that leaves the Registry as the culprit.

I went into my Registry and did find the first instance of the Clix device in the USB Folder of the HKET_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\USB subfolders. But it turns out there ae more Registry entries. Fiddling here is possible death..PC won't boot, etc. so I quit right there. I need an installation file that knows all the Registry tricks needed to install the Clix drivers, like the fellow found for his Zen M.

The info in the Clix itself does not address the Registry issues.

5 days after sending Tech Suport several emails, I have had no feedback. TS "should" know how to get the drivers installed in the Registry.

Phil

Old 01-15-2007, 06:08 PM

Question How about installing WMP 10 (again)?

Hi Phil, Your registry seems to be a little bit crowded after all these years. Don’t you think that it might work, if you just installed WMP 10 (again) without too much bothering how the registry looks today? I am rather positive that it will iron almost anything which might have caused the problem. Don’t you believe in Microsoft anymore?

Old 01-15-2007, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haptic View Post
Hi Phil, Your registry seems to be a little bit crowded after all these years. Don’t you think that it might work, if you just installed WMP 10 (again) without too much bothering how the registry looks today? I am rather positive that it will iron almost anything which might have caused the problem. Don’t you believe in Microsoft anymore?
He's already done that. I've been following his problem and it's quite odd. No amount of reinstalling and uninstalling has helped.

My Deviant Art page - they make great wallpapers

Old 01-16-2007, 04:56 AM

Smile Thank you for the hint

Hi Gorcorps, Thank you for the hint. You are right, I did not follow the “old” threat Phil has mentioned (sorry for that). I hope his Clix will start to behave again—and mine will not try to imitate this sick behaviour.

Oh, yes, another (maybe useful ) very low-tech approach: Is this USB cable still all right? Do you happen to know someone else who has a Clix? Perhaps you should try his cable, just to make sure that it is NOT the stupid cable.

If it has been working before and now it does not work any longer, people tend to look for a more complicated technical reason for quite a long time and then it turns out to be a stupid (mechanical) thing. I had such an experience just some weeks ago.

Old 01-16-2007, 12:53 PM

Default I Am Going to Keep this Thread Alive so You Can See iRiver Support Approach

The proprietary cable is not the problem, since when I connect this cable to another XP computer the Clix is recognized perfectly..cable is good.

I finally got my first response from iRiver Tech Support. I will quote it unedited and then show my Response. I will Post subsequent Tech Support responses for your edification.

Here is first (I feel almost automatic) reply to my Question:

"Hello Customer,

you must:

• Windows XP (Service Pack 1 or higher)
• Windows Media Player 10 or greater
• CD-ROM drive
• USB port

Check and be sure you have the latest WMP11 and XP, SP2 from Microsoft.
All drivers are built in XP and WMP11.

Best regards"

This is how I replied to this response to Clix not recognized:

"I have the latest XP Pro, SP2, all Windows Updates, have WMP 10, had WMP11,I Plug Clix directly into motherboard USB2 port, have CD-ROM drive.

My "problem" is that Clix is not recognized after all the above and countless reboots. I am not a newbie. While waiting for your Reply I have looked in the AnythingButiPod Forum for Clix and even started a thread re Clix not recognized. See http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ead.php?t=7738

I have even checked the USB failed installation attempts for Clix in the setupapi.log file where Windows shows "how" it installs the Clix as a USB device...in my case it failed trying to install the device id= USB\VID_4102&PID112A.

I also saw on this site for the Creative Zen M device where a guy had the same problem I did and a member referred the guy to a download file that did install everything needed for the Zen to be recognized successfully.

I need "something" from iRiver that will correct whatever is corrupted in XP/WMP to allow my Clix to be recognized. My Clix worked fine with WMP10, but the manual recommended WMP11, so I Installed it. Clix worked with WMP11, but after a few days I did not like the WMP11 interface and rolled back to WMP10. Since then Clix has not been successfully installed..Clix not recognized. My problem directly is and was related to using WMP, as you recommend. I have uninstalled & reinstalled WMP10 and 11 several times trying to get the problem fixed. No success. MY Clix is recognized on a different XP computer, so Clix is OK. MY PC has somehow been corrupted only as far as using Clix is concerned. I need a direct fix, preferably an executable file that fixes any XP related problem as far as the Clix is concerned, like the file that fixed the Zen "not recognized" problem in the Forum.

Bob, I think this needs to be booted up to the Senior Tech Support level. Fiddling around the normal way is not going to fix my problem.

Phil Pluta"

Hopefully, the TS guy will realize this is not your usual, everyday problem and will direct this to a level that does understand the installation process in XP and will have access to a direct fix, like for the Zen device.

I'll keep the Forum posted. It will be a good archive knowledge base, if a solution is given

Old 01-16-2007, 01:53 PM

I think it's safe to say the clix is not the problem, but your computer is. That being said you're not going to get much out of iriver because they focus on your clix which isn't the problem. If I were you I'd ask microsoft since the problem is something with wmp or xp in general.

My Deviant Art page - they make great wallpapers

Old 04-03-2007, 01:26 AM

Default Very bad connection problem

I have a very bad connection problem. I try to connect my 2 gb Clix to Windows XP Home SP2 and try to sync via WMP 11. But it says that my device isn't working and didn't recognize it. I tried to format the device several times. I made it sometimes but the connection is gone after a while.
I tried to connect my device on another computer (Windows XP Pro. SP2 in it) I succeeded but after a while the connection is gone again. Then I hardly upgraded my clix to new firmware 2.01. I reformatted it several times then connected to my PC. It worked. I syncronized my music and charged it all night long. Next day I tried again but it didn't work. I reformatted, reset and rebuilt the library several times. I succeed several times indeed but I can't make a sure connection. I reinstalled WMP 11, i tried wmp 10, it didn't work either. Also I tried to uninstall and reinstall all the usb controllers, hubs, portable devices etc. It did recognize my player but a few minutes later clix is gone again. And then it's never recognized. I plugged another MTP device correctly.
I don't have warranty.. Please help.
Thanks..

Old 04-03-2007, 06:16 AM

Unhappy Sorry, no idea at all

Hi Woofwoof, I am sorry, but I think you have tried everything I would have done myself too. It seems to me that this very special player is the problem. How about contacting iRiver (America) and asking them whether they could do anything for you despite of the fact that the device is out of warranty.

Find another Clix USB cable and give it another try, just to make sure that it is NOT the stupid cable.

Good luck, you have my sympathy.

Old 04-03-2007, 07:06 AM

Hi. Thanks very much. I will try changing the cable.
I want to add that I returned to WMP 10 and after a few formats, hardly re-installed the firmware. I connected it truly and sent some songs but the connection broke again after 30 minutes and XP didn't recognize it again as I tried nearly a hundred times..
I think i will kill the clix

Old 04-03-2007, 09:56 AM

Exclamation Don’t kill your Clix—open it! (carefully)

Hi Woofwoof, As you might have already read in my recent posts, I strongly recommend to use WMP 10 instead of WMP 11, because of the fact that you cannot establish any connection to the internet with “normal” user rights anymore, once you have installed WMP 11. The installation of WMP 11 demands administration rights from this point on, which is not acceptable for me at all.

By the way, if you already think about killing your Clix and as you do not have any warranty anymore, I would try to open the device and have a closer look at the USB socket.

Try to find another USB cable first, of course. But sometimes it is also the socket and you might already see that a connection is broken which can be fixed easily by yourself.

Old 09-25-2007, 07:17 AM

I struggled with this problem for the past two evenings. My Clix Gen2 worked fine on my machine and then BAM!!! completely screwed up... could not be properly recognized or installed on all my machines and OSes (I have Vista and Win XP dual boot on my desktop and Ubuntu on m laptop).

Solution? After digging around forums like this one I finally tried something that seemed so obvious in the end as a first try and yet I completely forgot about the feature:
hit the bloody reset button on the freaking device!

Tools needed:
A freaking paper clip.

Works like a charm now, now issues with any computer or software (Rhapsody, WMP 11, etc.).

Good luck!

Old 07-08-2008, 03:44 PM

Default Drivers are inherent in Windows Media Player

I know this is almost a year later but better late than not at all.

I have an iriver Clix U10. I really love it except no expandable memory or inability to add FLAC files but that is an investigation for another time.

I believe that I have found the solution to the problem and have connected and disconnected my device several times now and have yet to have a problem.

The problem I had was my player worked on my newly issued laptop computer for work. (it is a HP Compaq 6510b) I connected my Clix and all was well until I hastily disconnected the player without going through the ‘safely remove hardware’ method. From that point on I got the ‘found new hardware’ message and trying to connect MTP device message. This last message kept popping up on my screen made a littler popping noise and would do that as long as I left the device plugged into the USB port. This whole time I could connect the device to my desktop computer at home with out the slightest issue. I could connect my device to my brother’s laptop with out an issue. All computers in question were running windows XP and used Media Player 11.

One thing I did notice is that my device would connect successfully to my desktop / home computer as iriver Clix and on my laptop unsuccessfully as an MTP device. This lead to a lot of fun reading -note sarcasm - on Microsoft’s knowledge database. MTP it seemed is part of Windows Media Player.

This led me down two paths: One update firmware on Clix to v2.01US and the second was to uninstall Media Player 11 and then reinstall Media Player 11.

This got me nothing. Same behavior the trying to connect MTP device message kept popping up on my screen making a littler popping noise.

I tried to connect my phone to my laptop to load music on that. (I have a Samsung U70) I got the same behavior! I had not before connected my phone to this computer.

I thought for a while this may have something to do with the fact that my laptop has Windows XP service pack 3.

Anyway I read lots of forum threads and finally got the picture that Windows Media Player has all of the drivers built in and it is the Media player that was corrupted. This time I went to http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/faq/installation.mspx and followed these directions.

Q.
How do I uninstall the Player?
A.
Windows Media Player is a feature of the Windows operating system and cannot be removed entirely. However, depending upon which version of the Player and Windows that you are using, you might be able to roll back to the version of the Player that was previously on your computer. The procedure varies depending upon which version of the Player you are running.
Windows Media Player 11
In Category View of Control Panel, click Add or Remove Programs.
Click Remove a program, and then, at the top of the list, select the Show updates check box.
In the Windows Updates section, click Windows Media Player 11, and then click Change/Remove.
If prompted, restart your computer, and then log on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group.
In Control Panel, click Add or Remove Programs.
In the Windows Updates section, click Windows Media Format 11 Runtime, and then click Change/Remove.
If prompted, restart your computer, and then log on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group.
In Control Panel, click Add or Remove Programs, and then click Remove a program.
Click Microsoft User-Mode Driver Frameworks Feature Pack 1.0, and then click Change/Remove.

It was step nine that I had not completed the previous time. When I reinstalled media Player 11 the final time both my Clix and my phone connected with out an issue. I have reconnected multiple times. What is different with the MTP setting is that neither devices appear in the safely remove hardware list. Simply disconnecting either device is all that is needed.

SM

Old 12-02-2009, 12:35 PM

Default i fixed the problem with my IRIVER CLIX

hopefully everybody who have problem connecting to their computer by uninstall the USB device from the device manager. Then update the WMP. If your WMP is up to date, just uninstall it and reinstall it again. That might fix the problem, it worked for me.