android
Old 12-26-2006, 10:49 AM

Default Newibe wonders what style buds or phones

I am getting my Sansa E250 and other than the head phones that come with the Sony Armband Sports FM/AM player, I dont have any real experience. That headband with the buds that go sideways in your ear do come loose when running or cutting the yard. I have had those ear ones that kinda clip over the ear.

I want to be able to run with these on a treadmill or occassionally outside in the park. Also want to be able to go to bed with them on and listen to the MP3 and occassionally at a ballpark for FM reception during football games or at the beach.

I was wondering first, what style works best for such activity. Does the headband stuff really make it impractical? If so, what about the difference between the in-ear buds and those that clip over the ear like some sonys?

I read a lot of positive buzz about the Sennheiser CX300 at Tiger Direct. $50 is about the cutoff Id like

Sam

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-26-2006, 11:05 AM

I have the CX300 and I push them well into my ear canal using the medium ear pieces.

1 They stay in even when running

2 Great attenuation of outside noise

3 Stonking bass.

4 Comfortable enough to sleep in, I regulary fall asleep with mine in.

5 Very little noise escapes out from them so you can wear them in bed next to your beloved and not disturb their sleep.(only when you are old enough and in a caring and loving relationship, not for use during casual encounters, in fact avoid casual encounters, they are not all they are cracked up to be....with the endless questioning as to what was your motivation, what was their motivation, can you still respect yourself, what is the point of S*x without love. Infact wait until you are married and take cold showers.....I am married and by the time She who must be obeyed has had her 25 minute beauty shower, all there is left for me is a cold shower anyway. Better still................)

You will need to run the right wire around the back of your head and possible run the whole wire under a shirt or vest. This is to avoid the wire banging against clothes. With all IEMs because they are jammed into your middle ear and creating a sealed of cavity between themselves and your tympanic membrane (eardrum) any vibration on the wires will be transmitted direct to your ears. If you ever made tin -can telephones(ask an olderfamily member) using a couple of cans or plastic pots and some string you will understand the principal of microphonic transfer, all IEMs will do this just as well as the tin can telephone.

Lastly because of this effective seal you will be very aware of noises eminating from within your own body such as heavy breathing, coughing, or brewing a gob ( spitting)

Old 12-26-2006, 11:10 AM

Aard: Thank you. IS that hearing of your own breathing, is it too much to put up with when listening to the Sansa? I am thinking for running, either the in-ears or the around the ear headphones work best. Seems that the headphones like DJ's wear would be too heavy and also not good for sleeping. The behind the necks I guess could get jostled about easier. I see those sony and koss (cans I think they call them) and they seem like they barely clip on the ear.

I had some phillips brand earphones that just sat in the canal and they always came out

sam

Old 12-26-2006, 11:25 AM

Big headphoes are going to make your ears and head sweat when running. My wife (SWMBO) wears the over the ear behind the head jobs when using a treadmill at the gym but the sound is poor compard with IEMs and full sized cans.and they would probably fall off if you were running in the street or cross country.

The CX300 in my case are pushed in tight and the outside end of them slips behing the cartilage of my pinna ( outer ear) so they are well fixed and comfy.

The alternative would be to hold them in with a bit of surgical tape, micropore or even a bit of bandaid when doing serious running, I have seen guys doing this on the fells near where I live.

Old 12-26-2006, 11:28 AM

Breathing, sorry forgot to mention, only noticeable between tracks or during very quite passages, If you have your volume up you will not notice your own breathing at all

Old 12-26-2006, 11:43 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Look into the JVC Marshmallow (FX-33). $20US. Very good comments at Head-Fi.

Check here for a lengthy discussion...
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=212259

Steve

Old 12-26-2006, 01:47 PM

I have read impressive stuff about the Sennheiser 300's and then the JVC's. Some questions popped up when reading about running and headphones.

1) Do either of these really block out all the sound so that if I am running on a street, or using a lawnmower with them, I would really not hear clear dangers?

2) Will they short out or pop out or cause problem if sweat is an issue?

3) With the Sennheisers, I see ebay has a lot of sellers that can get them for around $30. I found a site that will get them to me for about $55 shipped, and if I am only saving $10, Id go that way but is there any sellers that would save more than $20?

4) Can I use IEM to lay down with my head on the pillow (face sleeper)?

Sam

Old 12-27-2006, 03:23 AM

1 It depends on how loud you have them. They block external noise to about the same level as foam ear defenders. You can still hear a lawnmower or someone shouting at you, you can not hear a TV in the same room of normal levels of speach apart from during quite passages or in the space between tracks.
2 Shorting, no you do not have many sweat glands inside your ears.

3 I bought mine from Ebay UK

4 You can use CX300 even if you lie on your side, back or face. In bed I do not run the cord behind my head on the right side.

5 Carefull with the JVC Mallows, most people on Head FI have modified them to improve the sound. The Mallow parts are not as comfortable as the silicones on CX300s. Inside the Mallow is a paper filter which is flimsy and may degarde under a bit of moisture or ear wax, the CX300 have a good solid metal mesh filter that can be wiped with an ear bud dipped in propan -2 -ol, may be called isopropyl alcohol locally. If you read all the way through the thread you can start to see coments that as good as you can make them they are not giant killers.

Old 12-27-2006, 08:56 AM

Quote:
If you read all the way through the thread you can start to see coments that as good as you can make them they are not giant killers
Exactely. They are nowhere near giant killers, but they are a great sounding IEM for 20 bucks, US.

Ive fell asleep with mine on with the stock foam inserts the last two nights and havent had a problem. They seem to do a good job of noise isolation.

All in all, Im a bit rough on my "travel" phones. The JVC's seem to be holding up nicely, and thats without any mods.

Old 12-27-2006, 09:25 AM

Well, in reading at Headfi, here are ones I think might work. Please comment

Creative Labs are around $32 on amazon. Forget which model
V-Moda Bass's are around $35.
Ety 6i Isolators can go as low as $61
Sennheiser 300CX are around $55 deliverd
UE scifi 3's are around $70 from ear solutions

Kinda leaning to the Vmodas due to the price or value for the buck

Sam