android
Old 03-27-2009, 08:23 AM

Default Review of Cowon Silicon Case for S9

I bought this case from the Jet Mall for $14.99 plus shipping. They call it a case, but for me it is a skin. Let me start the review by saying that I have always preferred silicone skins to actual cases for all of my electronics. If you haven't liked skins in the past, then this isn't for you.

http://www.jetmall.net/index.asp?Pag...ROD&ProdID=491

Quick Overview: 4 out of 5
Pros:
Covers all 4 corners
100% access to all ports and controls, never needs to be removed
Does not add noticeable thickness or weight

Cons:
Does not protect screen
Attracts lint and does not slide on fabric

In Depth Review:

Quality:
The quality of the skin is consistent with all of the other skins I've ever used. Perhaps its a little bit thinner then usual, but it feels very strong. The material acts as a magnet for any fibers or lint that it encounters in your pocket. It also does not slide on any kind of fabric. What does this mean for you? If you put it in your pocket, it won't slide in or out very easily, and it will come out with tiny pieces of lint on it. If you've ever had a skin before, you will be familiar with this. To me this is a small price for the feeling that my S9 is protected from dings and bumps.

Fit:
The fit of this skin on my S9 is perfect. The case covers all 4 corners, the left, right, and top sides, and the entire back of the player. There is a lip on the face of the player that covers all of the glass that is not the screen. For instance, the "COWON" on the front is covered. The entire bottom side of the player where the data port, headphone jack and power switch are is not covered, except for the very corners. The pause/play nub at the top is not covered. The design is exactly how I would have done it if they had asked me. The result is a completely functional skin that gives you 100% access and safety without ever having to remove the skin. Oh, and the reset and microphone have tiny holes in the back of the skin for them. Its possible some people may not like the top volume and track buttons to be covered by the skin. However, the skin has a "+" and "-" and "<<" and ">>" exactly over their corresponding button, and they are easy to press. For me, I like them covered. The one major area of weakness is that the screen is still exposed. This is the weakness of any skin. I had ordered the Cowon screen cover and planned to install it but I screwed it up and I have to order another one. I'll review that when I get it on right. The skin does provide a little bit of protection for the screen in that if you lay the S9 on its face, the screen won't touch a flat surface now due to the thickness of the skin.

I think I covered everything, but I'll answer any questions you might have. I also bought a spare cable and the AC charger from Jet Mall. They don't warrant a review.
Nokia BH-503

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-28-2009, 12:39 AM

I think the glass used on the S9 is really really hard to scratch so with normal use you shouldn't worry about that. Not sure about the name but it's something like gorilla something..?_?

Old 03-28-2009, 03:45 AM

quick question
does the skin make the s9 lose its curve?
does it entirely cover the lower part (under the screen)?

Old 04-08-2009, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanJan View Post
quick question
does the skin make the s9 lose its curve?
does it entirely cover the lower part (under the screen)?

The skin contours exactly to the body of the S9, so the curve is still there. It does entirely cover the lower part of the face, that part that says "Cowon". It covers 100% of the face that is not screen. The downside to this is that it makes the screen look smaller when the player is off. The whole face looks like screen with the player off usually, but this case shows the true size at all times.
Nokia BH-503

Old 04-08-2009, 07:32 PM

so basically it covers everywhere part except the screen
like the invisibleshiled but made in silicon
am i right??

Old 04-09-2009, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoosanlicious View Post
so basically it covers everywhere part except the screen
like the invisibleshiled but made in silicon
am i right??
I'm don't have an invisibleshield, and the picture of it of their website is invisible, so I can't say if it covers the same area. I would say, just look on the Jetmall at the picture. It looks exactly like the picture. It doesn't cover the screen. In fact, I have a 3M Vukuiti plastic piece covering my screen.
Nokia BH-503

Old 05-31-2009, 12:35 PM

I just wanted to add, that the Cowon silicone case is available at amazon germany, for users who live there.

Old 06-09-2009, 05:37 PM

just wondering, you said it was thin, would the s9 fit into a case with the skin on it? i NEVER want mine to break, even though i know it's strong, i don't want to take ANY chances (it broke my heart when my x5L stopped working). so skin+case+screen protection+gorilla glass = indestructible!

Old 11-25-2009, 07:05 PM

Could you put a necklace on the skin?

Old 11-26-2009, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsungm1 View Post
Could you put a necklace on the skin?

nope. it doesnt have any holes or slots for an armband, wristrap, keychain, etc

i had to cut a slot in the back to clip my e5 to it.

Old 11-26-2009, 05:27 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalx233 View Post
I think the glass used on the S9 is really really hard to scratch so with normal use you shouldn't worry about that. Not sure about the name but it's something like gorilla something..?_?
Yes itís really scratch resistant, itís called Gorilla Glass and made by Corning Inc.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 11-26-2009, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thudd3r View Post
nope. it doesnt have any holes or slots for an armband, wristrap, keychain, etc

i had to cut a slot in the back to clip my e5 to it.

Thanks!!! But i also want to know if the volume and track buttons are squished by the skin, or does the skin elevate alittle to give the buttons some room??

Old 11-26-2009, 11:34 PM

the area over the volume and track buttons is not raised. it doesnt interfere with the buttons though. it doesnt cause any unintended button pushes. there is a hole for the play/pause button, so it i exposed

Old 11-27-2009, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thudd3r View Post
the area over the volume and track buttons is not raised. it doesnt interfere with the buttons though. it doesnt cause any unintended button pushes. there is a hole for the play/pause button, so it i exposed
Sorry if im bothering you?? But can you please take a picture of the top part ??PLEASE??

Tags
case, cowon, s9, skin