android
Old 11-25-2009, 04:22 PM

Default Going back to MD can't be my only option, can it?

I've been looking desperately for a PMP/recorder with a line in jack, vu meters, and user replaceable battery.

The line in an VU are important to me because the vast majority of my music collection is analog, and I also like to make field recordings.

The battery is important because I like to travel as well as hike and camp. I can't see having to drag a laptop along and/or having to find a 12v or AC source instead of simply popping in another battery..not to mention that I don't like the idea of having to do surgery on the device when the battery will no longer hold a charge.

I'm thinking of going back to MD for no other reason than a "AA" cell power source, and their ability to record. Their main problem is (of course) the discs themselves. They are too limiting because they'll only hold 80 min (with decent sound), and who wants to lug around a bunch of discs anyway?

I had a couple of different Insignias and extra batteries for them, but the screens cracked, and their sound quality was not all that great to begin with.

I have thought about a D2 but it's battery is built in.

What would you do?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-25-2009, 04:36 PM

I would stay with an mp3 player and get a Duracell Instant Power Charger: http://www.amazon.com/Duracell-Insta.../dp/B0016Y9R6C

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 11-25-2009, 04:36 PM

How about a semi-professional recorder, like Zoom, Edirol, M-Audio, Sony, etc? Those have inputs, VU meters, and some have removable batteries.

Old 11-25-2009, 05:38 PM

That's a very good idea. The thought of going with something above consumer grade never crossed my mind.
The Sony PCMD50 or PCMM10 is exactly what I'm after. Line in, mic in, VU meters, adjustable recoding levels AND "AA" cell operation.
AA cells are right up my ally as not only can they be found almost anywhere, but I have fairly small solar charger for them. With that I can be miles away from civilization and out of batteries and still charge up (not that this happens very often).

I'm so happy to see that someone at Sony is still on the ball.

Thank you so very much for the input.

Old 11-25-2009, 07:20 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Those Sony models are expensive though at around $400-450. The Samson Zoom H2 is only around $150. Some people like the Edirol recorders but I think they are like $300 and up. I wish there would be some more decent, low priced, compact choices.
I am still trying to get more information about the Olympus DM420 recorder for use as a music player and voice recorder. I don't know how well it would do at recording music.

Old 11-25-2009, 07:59 PM

A good friend of mine has had the Edirol well over a year now and he loves it, sure it's expensive but worth it according to him.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 11-26-2009, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drive-In-Freak View Post
That's a very good idea. The thought of going with something above consumer grade never crossed my mind.
The Sony PCMD50 or PCMM10 is exactly what I'm after. Line in, mic in, VU meters, adjustable recoding levels AND "AA" cell operation.
AA cells are right up my ally as not only can they be found almost anywhere, but I have fairly small solar charger for them. With that I can be miles away from civilization and out of batteries and still charge up (not that this happens very often).

I'm so happy to see that someone at Sony is still on the ball.

Thank you so very much for the input.

Glad I could help. Of course those things aren't cheap like an average MP3 player, but you get what you pay for.

A friend of mine, a filmmaker/artist, had the M-Audio and an older Edirol R04 for years, and now got the Sony PCM-D50 a few months ago. So far the Sony seems to be the best thought-out, with the most logical menu and button layouts. Sound quality is excellent on all of these, way above MP3 players.

Old 11-27-2009, 02:29 AM

These are probably not quite as good as the Sony, but probably better than the Zoom and very cheap at the moment if you're in the USA:

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cg...item/TAS-DR-07

Old 11-27-2009, 09:22 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Is the Tascam DR07 really better than the Zoom H2? One thing I don't understand about those models. They get only around seven and a half hours of recording on two AA batteries, yet the Olympus DM420 gets 51 hours of recording on two AAA batteries! How can the Olympus DM420 be 17 times as power efficient as these other recorders?