android
Old 06-21-2006, 11:51 PM

Default Getting Ogg On The Device

I have the illuminable oog directshow filter and WMPTagSupportExtender software that allows ogg files to reside in the WMP 11 library along with artwork. Unfortunately syncing these files with Clix gives an error. Is there a way to get ogg on the player along with artwork? If getting artwork is a no go, how do you get just the ogg files for playback?

Great little player so far...this lack of UMS is starting to bug me though.

Thanks!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-22-2006, 09:44 AM

Default Solution And Problem

I found a solution and a problem. I created an ogg folder through explorer and dropped the album directories there. From the Clix UI you can "Browse Device" and select the oggs there. The songs also appear in the "Music" section but are all filed under "Unknown Artist" or "Unknown Album" depending on how you're browsing. In this case, they're all just lumped together with no separation between album/folders.

The bad part from my perspective is that ogg tags don't appear to be supported. Not getting album art is one thing but the artist and album names should display from the tags (even my old Yepp-MT6Z does this).

Otherwise, it's seems to be an awesome player. I really, really don't want to switch to WMA. Any advice?

Old 06-22-2006, 10:23 AM

Default Here's how dumb I am...

Since this player is U.S. only and MTP only, I didn't know ogg was even supported for playback. You're right about the tags though, if they show in WMP 11, then the user expectation would clearly be that they show on the player UI as well. And likewise with album art, for that matter. Does art show in WMP for the ogg files with the plug-in you're using, JYoda?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoda
I found a solution and a problem. I created an ogg folder through explorer and dropped the album directories there. From the Clix UI you can "Browse Device" and select the oggs there. The songs also appear in the "Music" section but are all filed under "Unknown Artist" or "Unknown Album" depending on how you're browsing. In this case, they're all just lumped together with no separation between album/folders.

The bad part from my perspective is that ogg tags don't appear to be supported. Not getting album art is one thing but the artist and album names should display from the tags (even my old Yepp-MT6Z does this).

Otherwise, it's seems to be an awesome player. I really, really don't want to switch to WMA. Any advice?

Old 06-22-2006, 10:42 AM

Yes, with the tag extender plug-in it's possible to update album info to get album art. Functionally everything is the same as using WMA or MP3 except you can't edit the tags in WMP and you can't encode to ogg through WMP. I use CDEx to encode ogg directly into the folder monitored by WMP and then add album art after the fact.

I believe one of the other recent flash players updates ogg with album art if you have the plug-in. On the clix, a sync reports an "unsupported format" error.

Old 06-23-2006, 04:13 PM

Quote:
On the clix, a sync reports an "unsupported format" error.
Ugh ... I have the same issue. I am a bit frustrated with the Clix. Iriver claims ogg support but tags do not appear to work and syncing does not appear to work. Iriver should have stated that the player would play ogg files, not "support" them

Seriously though, if anyone has figured out how to get the Clix to recognize ogg tags (artist, album, title, etc.) please post. Any help is much appreciated!

Old 06-23-2006, 04:51 PM

Default Does ogg use one of these...

Tag standards listed as supported?

ID3 V1 Tag, ID3 V2 2.0, ID3 V2 3.0, ID3 V2 4.0

I definitely *would* expect syncing to work with any supported media format. Then you have to drag and drop using the explorer shell extension? That, by definition, doesn't support art coming over associated with the music files.

Quote:
Originally Posted by munsell
Ugh ... I have the same issue. I am a bit frustrated with the Clix. Iriver claims ogg support but tags do not appear to work and syncing does not appear to work. Iriver should have stated that the player would play ogg files, not "support" them

Seriously though, if anyone has figured out how to get the Clix to recognize ogg tags (artist, album, title, etc.) please post. Any help is much appreciated!

Old 06-23-2006, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLF
Tag standards listed as supported?
ID3 V1 Tag, ID3 V2 2.0, ID3 V2 3.0, ID3 V2 4.0
Please forgive my ignorance ... do you know if one can "tag" ogg files using one of the standards you listed? Thanks in advance for any help!

Old 06-23-2006, 07:12 PM

I saw that little tidbit about the tags supported. Ogg has it's own tagging method and won't work with the various ID3 tag types. HOWEVER, I don't think WMA uses ID3 tags either and they appear to be supported (although admittedly I haven't tried dragging any WMAs to the device).

It's a mystery why ogg tags aren't implented on such an advanced player. Let's hope someone has the answer or iriver puts it in a firmware update.

Old 06-23-2006, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munsell
Please forgive my ignorance ... do you know if one can "tag" ogg files using one of the standards you listed? Thanks in advance for any help!
Ok ... so I have learned more about tagging than I ever really wanted to. As stated above, the Clix player does not support vorbis tags. With this in mind, I added a valid ID3 tag to an ogg file (header). The tags were recognized by the Tag and Rename program, and the Clix player will decode the ogg file (even though some ogg decoders barf because the header is non-standard) but the Clix player will not parse the ID3 tags that are found in the ogg file header. Any thoughts?

Old 06-23-2006, 07:24 PM

I read quite a bit about tagging myself and it appears that vorbis and id3 tags are largely incompatible.

It's a shame because oggs sound so much better than wma and mp3 at lower bitrates. I think we're going to have to badger iriver to get this functionality.

I can't find anything on the web about vorbis tags on the U10. Who knows, maybe it's only broken on the Clix.

Old 06-23-2006, 07:42 PM

joy joy joy

Ok ... so I got it to work. Here is what I did:
  • Grab some ogg file goodness
  • Change the ogg file extensions to .mp3 instead of .ogg
  • Import the ".mp3" files into WMP11
  • Use the "Find Album Info" to populate the fields correctly (Album art, song, title, etc.). I don't think this actually alters the file (though I still need to verify this). I am hoping I can find some flat file on the device that catlogs this information).
  • Now "sync" the .mp3 files to the Clix
  • Pull up the Clix in explorer and rename the .mp3 files to .ogg files

Voila!!

You can now play ogg files with album art and song, title, artist, etc. information

A few things ... it appears that the Clix will only "sync" mp3 files. I hope that iRiver can address this issue in an upcoming firmware update. I think it would be a trivial change to the code.

Old 06-23-2006, 09:09 PM

That's good news - although a file renaming utility would be necessary for a large number of oggs.

It also suggests that the clix doesn't really read tags from files but instead gets the information solely from WMP.

If you delete the oggs from the clix using WMP, do the oggs get properly deleted from the device? I'm worried that this might somehow "corrupt" the database.

Old 06-23-2006, 09:16 PM

Quote:
If you delete the ogg files from the clix using WMP, do the oggs get properly deleted from the device? I'm worried that this might somehow "corrupt" the database.
I deleted some of the ogg files using WMP and they seemed to be deleted correctly. I then re-synced the files as mp3s and changed the extensions to .ogg again and everything seems ok.

You are correct that this is a very impractical way to load music