android
Old 11-16-2009, 09:22 AM

Default Clip+: some ogg vorbis files causing playback to hang

EDIT: Firmware update 1.02.09 has fixed the issue for me. Thanks, Sansa! Details here: http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=51524

Hi all,

I'm hoping a few of you out there might be willing to help me confirm buggy behavior on the Clip+ (clip plus) before I add a post to the bug list thread.

Playback on my Clip+ will hang at the end of certain ogg vorbis files. The device will still accept some button input, but if I select a different track the playback screen will still be stuck on the bad track and no audio is produced. Turn off/turn on fixes the issue until another bad track is encountered.

I'm playing in folder mode on internal memory. The hang doesn't happen 100% of the time (more like 90%), but when it does, it's always on the same handful of files. These files seem good enough for WinAmp, foobar2000, and my Samsung YP-S2 "pebble". I generated the ogg vorbis files from FLAC, intially via WinAmp, and then via foobar2000 (with oggenc2.exe at -q 2). No luck. I tried removing the tags with mp3tag. No luck.

My workaround for now is to replace the suspect files with either FLAC or MP3 versions.

Details on my Clip+:
Version V01.01.05A (I think we all are right now, but history helps)
4GB

So, I've whittled the issue down to a folder of three files (one good, two bad). Including the source FLAC, I have a zip file at 22.4 MB to share for testing. Something tells me that attaching it to this thread would be bad etiquette and might even get me and/or ABI in trouble. Don't want that!

I'm new to the forums, so what's the typical approach in getting my test case to anyone willing to take a look?

Thanks!

Last edited by gudfooht; 01-22-2010 at 11:49 AM. Reason: Fixed with firmware update 1.02.09

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-16-2009, 07:31 PM

I'm pretty new to these forums, too, so don't completely trust me, but if you have a website/server, which you probably don't, you can upload to that and link it. If you don't, I'd chance it and upload to ABi, worst comes to worst, they delete it. Perhaps just make smaller zip with only 2-3 tracks? If you put it up, I'll be happy to test if nobody else does.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:41 AM

That sounds fair enough.

Ah ha: the attachment feature limits zip files to 2.1 MB anyway. I should have just tried it first.

So, here's one problem track (for testing purposes only). Just put it in it's own folder and let it loop. It might not hang the first time, but eventually it will.

Thanks for checking it out!

Edit: I've brought all three files together in this post, instead of being spread out through the replies. Sorry, I'm new!
Attached Files
File Type: zip 151-Tama's Theme.zip (1.55 MB, 2 views)
File Type: zip 152-Tama's Dance.zip (283.9 KB, 1 views)
File Type: zip 153-Mika's Theme.zip (1.85 MB, 1 views)

Last edited by gudfooht; 11-17-2009 at 12:24 PM. Reason: Bring attachments together in one reply

Old 11-17-2009, 09:44 AM

Here's another one.

Put both in the same folder and let the folder loop. You'll definitely get some hang time after a loop or two.

Edit: attached file moved up to previous post.

Last edited by gudfooht; 11-17-2009 at 12:26 PM. Reason: Attachment moved to earlier post.

Old 11-17-2009, 10:25 AM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

That file looks unremarkable and the rockbox ogg parser has no trouble with it, so I don't know why it would break the clip+. We use the same Vorbis software as sandisk.

Old 11-17-2009, 10:30 AM

Okay, some weirdness going on.

In my original post, I mentioned I had three files involved (one good, two bad). Attached is the "good one", but now I think it might indeed be the actual instigator.

Just to double-check things on my end, I deleted track 152 via the Clip+ function to see if just 151 and 153 would hang it. They didn't seem to after four loops. As soon as I added 152 back into the fold, track 153 (yes, the track after it) hung upon ending during the very first playthrough and the Clip+ didn't loop back to 151.

Maybe there's something about track 152 that causes the next ogg file to hang.

So weird!

Anyway, the three-track test case seems to be the baseline of weirdness, so be sure to have all three in the folder.

Thanks!

Edit: attachment moved up to a previous post for a one-stop-shop.

Last edited by gudfooht; 11-17-2009 at 12:27 PM. Reason: attachment moved to previous post

Old 11-17-2009, 10:31 AM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Huh, if it takes many iterations to crash it could be some kind of memory leak in the vorbis decoder. This won't be a problem for rockbox since we flush the vorbis codec after every track, but maybe sandisk doesn't.

Old 11-17-2009, 10:34 AM

@saratoga

Well, the obvious answer is to rockbox my Clip+, of course. I suspect you felt that one coming.

Old 11-19-2009, 12:00 PM

No other testers out there? Bummers!

Old 11-19-2009, 12:30 PM

I'm having the exact same problem with certain ogg files, exact same symptoms. They're the only ogg files I have. Sorry, don't have the time to test. Since I rarely use ogg, this won't be a big issue for me.

Old 11-19-2009, 02:46 PM

@lynnux: Thanks for letting me know I'm not the only one!

Almost everything I have on the Clip+ is ogg, but a handful of tracks from this particular album (Okami original soundtrack) seem to be the only problems so far. I haven't listened to everything, though, so there might be many more speedbumps out there for me.

Old 11-19-2009, 08:28 PM

I just downloaded your attachments and played all three once. When it looped back, the first track (Tama's Theme) hung at the end as described. Restarted and deleted Tama's Dance, as you said, and it still hung on the first playthrough. I think that 152 is indeed a normal, good track, and it was your luck that when it was gone the others didn't hang.

Anyways, behavior confirmed for me on a 8GB. If someone has the original Clip, it would be interesting to see if the same happens.

Old 11-20-2009, 08:12 AM

Thanks, ultrauber!

I'll go ahead and add this to the main Bug list thread.