android
Old 09-06-2009, 11:15 AM

Default SlotRadio on sale at RadioShack

Radio Shack is advertising the SlotRadio player "on sale" for 69.99 until 9/17.

Also the slot radio cards for $40 (regular $50). [weren't they origianlly priced at $40]

It's interesting to read the slot radio reviews on the radio shack site, it's getting higher marks than I would have expected.

I'm actually tempted to get the oldies card, still wondering about encoding quality.....

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-06-2009, 12:30 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I could be wrong, but I can’t see this getting much attention at these prices, why would anyone want one.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 09-06-2009, 01:37 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Some people might buy them, however imo 400 or 500 song cards priced at $20 would sell much better. $20 is the maximum many people will spend for an impulse purchase.

Old 09-06-2009, 01:56 PM
Ultra Senior Member

yeah, not interested, why didn`t sansa just create a player with support common memory card, not their slot card

Old 09-06-2009, 02:01 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Huh? These player will also play a regular micro SD or micro SDHC card.

Old 09-06-2009, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_tumiwa View Post
yeah, not interested, why didn`t sansa just create a player with support common memory card, not their slot card
They did. They had the C2xx and E2xx series. And now there's the Fuze and the Clip+. All of those use standard micro SD cards.

Does anyone know the there's a firmware updae for the C2xx to use slot radio cards? I gave a C240 to a friend last Christmas with some preloaded music and she still hasn't figured out how to get her own music on it. Maybe I could get her a slot music card.

People like my friend are the market for this, not the rest of you geeks who hang out on this forum.

Last edited by Alohamora; 09-07-2009 at 09:33 AM. Reason: spelling

Old 09-06-2009, 06:36 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_tumiwa View Post
The card format is standard MicroSD, not something proprietary... I believe the SlotRadio/Player let you stick your own MicroSD cards in, with your own music on them, in MP3/WMA format.

Old 09-06-2009, 07:12 PM

I have a hard time seeing why anybody would want one, especially now considering that the Clip+ supports SlotRadio

Old 09-06-2009, 09:04 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98 View Post
Huh? These player will also play a regular micro SD or micro SDHC card.
And so will the clip + for $10.00 cheaper and give you a lot more, dam I thought that was so obviouse

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 09-06-2009, 09:33 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by quintets_man View Post
I have a hard time seeing why anybody would want one, especially now considering that the Clip+ supports SlotRadio
Not everyone can figure out how to set up use an mp3 player on their own. BestBuy actually sells a card for $50 for a half hour of mp3 player training. Almost hurt myself laughing when I saw it in the store.

For $20 more the slotRadio gives you a halfway decent sounding player and a thousand tunes. I doubt any one posting here thinks that's a great deal but some people might. I think that's what Sansa is hoping for.

Old 09-07-2009, 04:28 AM
Ultra Senior Member

really? wtf my memory is getting old , and always remember that SlotPlayer only can read their own SlotCard

Old 09-07-2009, 10:56 AM
Ultra Senior Member

The Clip+, and the Fuze as well as the Slotradio players can read Slotradio cards.

Old 09-07-2009, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
The card format is standard MicroSD, not something proprietary... I believe the SlotRadio/Player let you stick your own MicroSD cards in, with your own music on them, in MP3/WMA format.
The FAQ on SAnsa's own forum confirms that to be true
Quote:
4. Can the slotRadio™ player read microSDHC™ cards?

Yes, in addition to slotRadio cards, the slotRadio Player can read both microSD™ and microSDHC™ cards.

Old 09-07-2009, 12:49 PM
Ultra Senior Member

what is the max capacity? can go up to 32gb?

Old 10-31-2009, 06:52 PM

I've heard 8 and 16; the discrepancy could be because they didn't have any larger cards to test with. If the designers followed the SDHC spec properly, it may be OK with much larger cards when they exist. Number of tracks, or number of tracks per folder could be a problem. I've heard of other players screwing up if there were more songs than the original code monkeys considered reasonable.

Old 11-17-2009, 10:46 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The Slotradio cards are $30 each this week at Radio Shack. I was so curious that I changed my mind about Slotradio and at $30 I decided to buy one. I bought the Oldies card. The sound quality is great, but the lack of control is annoying. It is amazing hearing these songs with a clarity that I never heard before. The card remembers which song was played last. I played it in my Fuze for a while, then when the power got low, I switched it to my Clip+, and it resumed mid song. Interesting. The refresh time for the Slotradio card is very fast. Just several seconds.

The card has 7 premade channels(song lists)

1)Rock Oldies
2)Country Oldies
3)R&B Oldies
4)Pop Oldies
5)Motor City
6)Jukebox
7)Love Songs

Some of the songs I like on the first song list are listed below.
The ones with a + sound so much better than I ever heard them before. I guess overall I like around 30% of the Rock Oldies songs.

Kansas Carry on Wayward Son
Rare Earth I Just want to Celebrate
Steppen Wolf Born To Be Wild
Blood Sweat & Tears Spinning Wheel +
Three Dog Night Joy To the World
Edgar Winter Free Ride
Santana Oye Como Va
Joe Walsh Rocky Mountain Way
Steely Dan Josie +
The Who Won't Get Fooled Again
Bachman Turner Overdrive Takin' Care of Business +
Atlanta Rhythm Section So Into You +
Loggins & Messina You'r Mama Don't Dance
10cc The Things We Do For Love
The Grass Roots Sooner or Later
The Police Roxanne
Little Richard Long Tall Sally
Bill Haley & His Comets Thirteen Women
Jerry Lee Lewis Be Bop A Lula
Dion Ruby Baby
Santana Evil Ways +
Rolling Stones Shattered
The Police Message In A Bottle +
The Who Baba O'Reilly +
Cheap Trick Surrender +
Supertramp Give A little Bit
The Chambers Brothers Time Has Come Today
Joe Cocker You Are So Beautiful
Rare Earth Get Ready
Atlanta Rhythm Section Imaginary Lover+
Spanky & Our Gang Sunday Will Never Be The Same +
Blood Sweat & Tears And When I Die+
Steely Dan Deacon Blues
Lynyrd Skynrd Sweet Home Alabama +
Bachman Turner Overdrive You Ain't Seen Nothing yet
Electric Light Orchestra Don't Bring Me Down
Rolling Stones Beast of Burden
Supertramp Take The Long Way Home
Lynyrd Skynyrd What's Your Name
Bill Haley & His Comets Burn That Candle
Peter Frampton signed Sealed Delivered I'm Yours
Blood Sweat & Tears You've Made Me So Very Happy
The Who Heat Wave
Supertramp Goodbye Stranger
Robert Palmer Bad Case of Loving You
Cat Stevens Peace Train

I think I probably listened to all the songs on the first playlist. I can't be sure though, as the player doesn't indicate this, however it seemed to be playing only songs I already heard, but only after hearing something like 150 songs or so(just an estimation, I didn't count). It repeated the songs in a different order than originally played.

Last edited by JK98; 11-18-2009 at 08:48 PM.

Old 11-17-2009, 11:04 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
The Slotradio cards are $30 each this week at Radio Shack. I was so curious that I changed my mind about Slotradio and at $30 I decided to buy one.

Have you been able to discern bitrate, codec, and encoder used on the songs....or the capacity of the card?

Old 11-18-2009, 12:03 AM
Ultra Senior Member

"Have you been able to discern bitrate, codec, and encoder used on the songs....or the capacity of the card? "

They don't tell you this. Based on the sound quality I would guess the bitrate could be 256 kbps or better mp3, or perhaps variable bitrate at least around 220 kbps average. The player doesn't give imformation about the hidden partition where the songs are. It says the card has 63 MB, all of which is free. It might be an 8 GB card, although if they use a very efficient format they might be able to fit the 60 or so ?(the Classical card says 60 hours of music, the other cards say 1,000 songs) hours of high quality music on a 4 GB card.

Old 11-18-2009, 12:36 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
"Have you been able to discern bitrate, codec, and encoder used on the songs....or the capacity of the card? "

They don't tell you this. Based on the sound quality I would guess the bitrate could be 256 kbps or better mp3, or perhaps variable bitrate at least around 220 kbps average. The player doesn't give imformation about the hidden partition where the songs are. It says the card has 63 MB, all of which is free. It might be an 8 GB card, although if they use a very efficient format they might be able to fit the 60 or so ?(the Classical card says 60 hours of music, the other cards say 1,000 songs) hours of high quality music on a 4 GB card.
If the card is in your player, and you connnect to the computer, can you see anything in Windows Explorer? Or is that where you saw the hidden partition? I'm just curious....I'm not in the market for one of the cards, just an "inquiring mind wanting to know" as the ads used to say.

Old 11-18-2009, 12:44 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Connected to the pc, it shows the card as 63.9 MB.