android
Old 10-09-2009, 10:09 PM

Default Sansa clip+ vs. cowon s9 SQ wise

I'm planning to buy a new player and i'm gonna play it with fiio e5 + senn ie8..

actually i got cx 500 right now, and planning to buy ie8 too..

i see that clip+ has much lower price tag, which would make it easier for me to grab the ie8.. (+ to the clip+)

and clip+ has expandable memory too, not much of problem for me, i don't need titanic to carry my music..

however, it has no video capability which is of "somewhat" importance to me.. it adds to the "coolness/sexiness" of the player.. (+ to the s9)

the size also matters, clip+ is very small compared to the s9..(+ to the clip+)

i love tinkering with eq(+ to the s9)

i need an answer to my question: "which has better sq? s9 or clip+"
i love bass, and most of the songs i play are rnb, hiphop, rock, and those which has stronger bass..

about the comparison, it's a bit strange right? but i just need an answer to the SQ stuff, and i can handle all other factors myself.. i just can't try both players myself..

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-09-2009, 10:28 PM

To be honest, I think you'll be happy whichever way you go. But I think there's one big reason to get the S9 over the Clip+, and that's the EQ. They sound pretty equal at flat EQ, with the Clip even edging out the S9 (so I hear).

When you turn BBE+ on and play with the EQ though, the S9 is amazing. I'm pretty sure that the Clip's EQ is worthless. The S9 is also quite pocket friendly, don't be worried about the size. Also remember the huge inrease in battery life you get.

Old 10-09-2009, 10:48 PM
Anythingbutiphone Moderator

I have yet to use a Cowon, but the Clip's flat EQ is very good as for as SQ goes. The pre-set EQ settings sounded horrible IMO. I play it on flat.

Old 10-10-2009, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledifni View Post
... ... i need an answer to my question: "which has better sq? s9 or clip+"
i love bass, and most of the songs i play are rnb, hiphop, rock, and those which has stronger bass ...
The cowon s9 EQ blows away most, the clip's is worthless, sure it sounds very good flat but that won't satisfy the desire you state for bass. Cowon has JetEffect's, which IMHO is the best sound tweaks available for portable players - 5 Band EQ (user definable or presets), BBE, Mach3Bass (enhances low end bass), MP Enhance (restores distorted music from digital compression), 3D Surround and Pan (left/right balance).

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 10-10-2009, 08:23 AM

those are the answers i need.

thanks for the great replies..

i hope this thread help other people.

BTW, were talking of clip+ here not clip..

but i think they those two have same SQ.. am i right?

Old 10-10-2009, 10:01 AM

^I think they are the same.

BTW, I wouldn't use the e5 with the ie8! they are only 16 ohms and a cheap amp like that will add a significant amount of distortion.

Old 10-15-2009, 08:42 AM

noob question:

what does the ohms mean?

so what if it is 16 ohms?

what if it is higher?? does it mean better SQ?

can someone explain these stuffs?

THANK YOU.

Old 10-15-2009, 11:16 AM

physics 101:
ohms is resistance
Ohm's Law which states that voltage (V) equals current (I) times resistance (ohms, R) or V = I X R.
do a bit of rearranging, and we get R=V/I

still with me?

So if headphones have a higher resistance (R), and the number of amps does not variate in the player, then they will need more power (that the volts) to be equally as loud as something with a lower resistance.
so if i have a 16ohm set of phones, and a 32ohm set, and a player with a theoretical current of 1A, then 32ohm pair will need twice the voltage for the same output

(Forgive me if I'm wrong on this, as you'd probably be better off asking in the headphone subforum.)
But in conclusion, more ohms means that the headphones are quieter, although I do believe it also makes them more sensitive

Old 10-15-2009, 12:04 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledifni View Post
what if it is higher?? does it mean better SQ?

can someone explain these stuffs?
Higher ohm devices will be a little quieter (on average, there still loud high ohm devices though) but will also load the player's amp a lot less and so tend to give better frequency response and lower distortion (particularly on low quality devices).

Usually when we say a DAP has good quality what we really mean is it drives lower impedance headphones without loss of quality.

Old 10-30-2009, 11:30 PM

oh, so when you guys say that the s9 has good quality, then, would this mean that i won't need any amp for it to produce good sound on a senn ie8??

BTW, i already ordered the s9, i hope it arrives soon.

Old 11-13-2009, 09:25 AM

The IE8 have too low impedance and completely insane sensitivity (125dB/mW) - they hiss with any portable player, especially with the sub-par Telechips/Wolfson equipped Cowons, but the AMS Sansas as well.

Tags
clip+, s9, sq