android
Old 03-18-2009, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
This is why I uninstalled SMC before the New Year. I watched some 10-15 minute video podcasts, and they looked ok, but the time involved to convert and add them with the SMC was totally not worth it. Add to that all I heard about audio and video being progressively further out of sync with longer videos , and I was almost convinced to ditch it. What cinched the deal was that photo viewing wasn't even special, given that the screen on my camera is bigger than the Fuze's.

Don't interpret this as me not liking the Fuze, however. I use mine anywhere from 2-5 hours a day...it just happens that I use it as a music player, which happens to show my album art .
Just so you and others know that you can DO video on the Fuze as an experiment I took one of the longest movies I could find...Titanic - 3hrs 20min. and put it on the Fuze...(MediaCoder + SMC). I watched the movie from beginning to end and there was no AV syncing problems. I think the reason why it doesn`t work for some people, they just don`t have the correct process down.
Sansa e260v1 Rockboxed 8GB microsdhc
Sansa Fuze 8GB 16GB microSDHC

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-18-2009, 08:18 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansaguy View Post
Just so you and others know that you can DO video on the Fuze as an experiment I took one of the longest movies I could find...Titanic - 3hrs 20min. and put it on the Fuze...(MediaCoder + SMC). I watched the movie from beginning to end and there was no AV syncing problems. I think the reason why it doesn`t work for some people, they just don`t have the correct process down.
I'm aware that some people have figured out a process that works. I can't picture myself watching something that long on this screen though. Just wondering..... how long did it take to convert and add to the Fuze? And how big did the file end up being?

Old 03-18-2009, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
I'm aware that some people have figured out a process that works. I can't picture myself watching something that long on this screen though. Just wondering..... how long did it take to convert and add to the Fuze? And how big did the file end up being?
It took about 70 min. MediaCoder 50 min. and 20 min. in SMC. The file size was pretty big...4GB only because I wanted a better quality movie if I was going to watch it on the Fuze screen. You could certainly get the size down where it was more acceptable but it wouldn`t be too easy on the eyes.

Old 03-18-2009, 09:00 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansaguy View Post
It took about 70 min. MediaCoder 50 min. and 20 min. in SMC. The file size was pretty big...4GB only because I wanted a better quality movie if I was going to watch it on the Fuze screen. You could certainly get the size down where it was more acceptable but it wouldn`t be too easy on the eyes.
I don't think 4GB is bad at all, given the length of the movie.

Old 03-18-2009, 09:12 AM

sansaguy, You watched 3hrs 20min on that screen hope your vision is still good ...

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 03-18-2009, 09:22 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
sansaguy, You watched 3hrs 20min on that screen hope your vision is still good ...
Agreed, I couldn't do it. But hey, more power to anyone that wants to

Old 03-18-2009, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
hey it all good...its only occasionally that I get the ddoouubbllee vviissiioonn

Old 03-18-2009, 06:30 PM

I watched all three matrix movies on my sansa e280....

I didn't mind at all. Some people can stand it, others can't. however, my d2 screen is a thing of beauty (as soon as I get the water out of it).

Last edited by pcman; 03-18-2009 at 06:30 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 03-18-2009, 06:48 PM

Wow. I guess having a 112" screen in the basement will just ruin a guy. I cannot imagine watching anything on a screen as small as the Fuze's, certainly not a full length movie. As MtM said, I consider it a player for my digital audio files, with a viewer for the album art.

Old 03-21-2009, 09:43 PM

For what it's worth, I got a Fuze 8gb recently and am returning it.

I plugged it into my computer, and Windows started complaining about USB errors. Never had this problem before, and I use a USB keyboard / USB flash drives. Despite the errors, I could still load up songs on it. Thought, "eh, whatever." Day later, I plug it in again. Windows says there's a USB malfunction. Keyboard stops working.

I reboot to find all my USB ports are dead It's not just Windows. During BIOS post the mobo can't detect my keyboard on my USB port either.

Decided to turn it off. Now it won't even boot up again.

Being brave, I tried the Fuze with my laptop. Fuze didn't kill it. However, I tried to stick a microSD card in and the Fuze froze up.

Are these unrelated incidents? Hard to say. Needless to say, timing is *very* suspicious. Online it seems like a USB device can send too much power over USB and kill your mobo, and there are cases of it happening with other devices.

Either way, I don't trust my Fuze anymore and am returning it. Now I gotta wait for a new mobo to ship out

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by grantedman; 03-21-2009 at 11:52 PM.

Old 03-21-2009, 11:03 PM

Sorry to hear that, grantedman. I am totally understand the frustration when technology works against you. Fortunately my Fuze is always on its good side since I got it almost three months ago. I do hope you have better luck on your next DAP.

Old 03-22-2009, 03:08 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I had a Fuze myself, and I never had a prob w/it. Plus, the new owner is very happy w/it as well. Sorry you had these probs, but it sounds like it was the comp that died, not the fault of the Fuze. As for the microSD issue, the comp that died may have actually damaged the Fuze, not the other way around.

Old 03-22-2009, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
I had a Fuze myself, and I never had a prob w/it. Plus, the new owner is very happy w/it as well. Sorry you had these probs, but it sounds like it was the comp that died, not the fault of the Fuze. As for the microSD issue, the comp that died may have actually damaged the Fuze, not the other way around.
There's no way to know if the computer died because of the Fuze. But the correlation of events is very suspicious, given that none of my other USB devices have given me a problem, and that it was a brand new Fuze.

Last edited by grantedman; 03-22-2009 at 04:48 AM.

Old 03-22-2009, 05:39 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantedman View Post
There's no way to know if the computer died because of the Fuze. But the correlation of events is very suspicious, given that none of my other USB devices have given me a problem, and that it was a brand new Fuze.
Considering that this is a first for comments on the Fuze, I'd say your comp died regardless of the player. It just happened at that particular moment and the Fuze got the blame. Lol, either way it's a DOA computer and a returned Fuze.

So, what player will it be next? And please keep us posted, I want a decently happy ending to this ya' know!!!

Old 11-01-2009, 09:57 AM

How does the Fuze stand up against, say, the Sony E344? They're both 8gb and both $99 where I am and right now I'm kidna stuck between the two of them. The Sony supposedly sounds better, and has better music browsing, and doesn't have a stupid scroll wheel and has better battery life.

The Fuze on the other hand has better codec support, expandable memory and the prospect of some day having Rock box on it.

Old 11-01-2009, 10:22 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExZen View Post
How does the Fuze stand up against, say, the Sony E344? They're both 8gb and both $99 where I am and right now I'm kidna stuck between the two of them. The Sony supposedly sounds better, and has better music browsing, and doesn't have a stupid scroll wheel and has better battery life.

The Fuze on the other hand has better codec support, expandable memory and the prospect of some day having Rock box on it.
The biggest difference is whether or not you would use EQ. The Sony has the seperate Clear Bass function, a real customizable EQ, and dynamic normalizer, which levels everything out on shuffle mode. The Fuze does not have these things.

Also, the price you would pay for an 8GB microsdhc card for the Fuze, added to the E344, would probably be enough to move up to the E345. So as a former Fuze owner, and current S545 owner, I say go Sony.

Old 11-01-2009, 12:51 PM

Grabbed the E345 today, took pictures and started working on the review. Will post once I get my RE2's this week.

Old 11-07-2009, 09:30 PM

If Sony's had SDHC or MicroSDHC slots, I'd be all over them!

I don't really need the fancy, expensive X series... but 16 gb isn't quite enough anymore.

As it is, I just got a new 16gb MicroSDHC card for my Fuze... I have 8 gb built-in and was previously using an 8 gb card... so this bumps my effective capacity from 16 gb to 24 gb.

Tags
fuze, mp3, radio, recording, sansa