android
Old 02-08-2009, 08:52 PM

Help managment software for linux

Im looking for some good software that i can use to manage the music on my Sansa e260 i would also like to save a library to my computer hard drive. can someone recommend something?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-21-2009, 02:16 PM

Well, if you want a bazooka, you could try Amarok, however, I find it much too large, and does more then I want (I just want podcast management, and I don't need a built in audio player, so I use gpodder). I've also heard good things about Banshe, but I find it too buggy.

Old 02-22-2009, 07:33 AM

TBOL3 is right, AmaroK is kind of a Bazooka (I like the analogy), but I am using it and like it quite well. It is pretty full featured and at this point does pretty much everything I want it to do.

Personally, I've tried several other of the smaller players, and end up adding other software to do something that the small player doesn't do...but that Amarok would be able to accomplish.

Old 02-22-2009, 11:52 PM

ok i am currently using rhythm box for all of this and adding music manually but i would like it to work more like itunes where you plug it in press a button and it syncs your music library to the player

Old 02-24-2009, 06:52 AM

I actually liked rythembox less Amarok. But if you're looking for the ability to just hit sync, you are going to want Amarok, or I also think that Songbird can do it.

Old 08-29-2009, 11:57 PM

Hello there --

I have been at war with software on Linux for the e280 and I'll share some of the stuff I've learned.

First of all, if you're using KDE Amarok is definitely the way to go, however if you're a Gnome user you may not want all the KDE source files on your computer (which was my issue).

I've played around with Songbird, Rhythmbox, and Banshee.

If you're looking for the button clicking syncing thing than right off the top you can write off Songbird, it currently has no MTP support (syncing support) for Linux. The developers are looking into it, but so far nothing has happened.

Rhythmbox is okay, I suppose, drag and drop works for getting music on the player -- its not the most eloquent system but it does make your little black box start making noise. The problem I had with it was that it crashed endlessly and I'm an impatient woman.

Finally we have Banshee, which I'm still in the process of testing, it claims to have good device support but I haven't scared it into working yet. If anyone is still reading this and I actually make it work you'll be the first to know.

Old 09-02-2009, 07:36 PM

Default Just a thought --- ATUNES

I'm a big supporter of Amarok era 1.4 .... before they screwed it up with the new version ...

that being said ..... CHeck out ATUNES

it's WAY open source AND WORKS greatq!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

---- it works well WITH my Sansa ..... It just is a little less integrated than AMAROK ..... hopefully they will get AMarok 2 up to speed

Old 09-14-2009, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylphide View Post
Hello there --
Finally we have Banshee, which I'm still in the process of testing, it claims to have good device support but I haven't scared it into working yet. If anyone is still reading this and I actually make it work you'll be the first to know.
It does have good device support until you try a Sansa, I don't understand it really, I've tried mine and my daughter's I've tried to grab debugging info and sending it in, but I just gave up, as it seemed bloated anyway. I really only need something like that to make my playlists easily.

Old 11-07-2009, 08:56 PM

I just use mpd in combination with some handwritten scripts so that I can simply execute things like;

Code:
cp $(cat Playlists/rock.m3u|grep Roses) /mnt/sansa/music