android
Old 11-03-2009, 10:34 AM

Default E5, S9 and PFE (very innovative, i know x D)

Just bought the Phonak PFE for my S9, and they sound rly awesome and so on... but the problem is that they aren't that loud and i gotta listen to most of my albums at about volume 35. I'd like to keep the volume on the S9 on a much lower level. So will the E5 easily fix this or might there be some hiss then?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-03-2009, 11:08 AM

I have the same super innovative and unique combo

There is a small amount of hiss with the E5 and Phonaks, you have to listen for it though and it certainly doesn't ruin the experience. I don't think the E5 really adds much volume, although the bass boost does work well with the Phonaks and it does something nice to the sound of them.

The S9 is generally quite quiet compared to say, the D2, but the battery life on the S9 is long and it will still last a long time even on a higher volume.

But really - 35? That would bust my ears open with that set up!

Do you have the European setting on? Your volume might have been nerfed if so. Or maybe you're not getting a perfect seal?

Old 11-03-2009, 11:19 AM

You might try and boost the volume of your albums. 35 is a very high volume imo. Without amp, the volume of my S9 is around 4-5 depending on the ambiance sound.
If you're gonna use an E5, you might consider to keep an high volume on the S9 and a lower volume on the E5

Old 11-03-2009, 01:17 PM

I got no "Europe-volume-lock" but most of my albums are pretty quiet, mostly the old ones. But I always need volume 30 at least, which seems kinda strange. I ordered an E5 now since it not much money and then I'll see how it works.

Old 11-04-2009, 03:22 AM

don527,
How do you do that incidentally? Is there software you use to change the volume of your digital music files?

I ask as there is a great variation between many of my albums, is there some way you can level them all off?

Old 11-04-2009, 03:34 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieE View Post
don527,
How do you do that incidentally? Is there software you use to change the volume of your digital music files?

I ask as there is a great variation between many of my albums, is there some way you can level them all off?
I would guess mp3gain might be what he used. I haven't tried it, although I might look into it later this winter.

Old 11-04-2009, 04:46 AM
Samsung Moderator

Just FYI - the volume is likely due to the filters. The black ones cut out most of the midrange (that's how they make the bass and treble sound more defined) but in the process the music which your ears are most sensitive to (around 1K Hz) is much quieter and so you have to turn the volume up to get the same level of sound.

Try the grey filters on for size, they sound different, but I like em... (though not as much as black)

Old 11-04-2009, 04:56 AM

Thanks Marvin, will give that a go.

Sassafras, cheers for the info. I started off on the blacks as I was coming from bassier sounding headphones and it was a smoother transition. One I'd broken those in though I tried out the greys - you're right they do sound louder but also crisper, brighter, better separated and generally... well almost "glowing" in their sound. I'm a grey man all the way now, no going back to black!

Old 11-04-2009, 11:31 PM
Samsung Moderator

I must actually amend my post above, I meant to say that I prefer the grey filters. The overall sound signature is much improved compared to black. My only gripe actually is that they are not quite "bassy" enough like the black filters provide. This is why I use the E3 amplifier with it's built in slight bass boost.

Old 11-05-2009, 11:05 AM

My E5 is here now. And i gotta say: Works really great. I can listen to most pretty new albums at about 22-25, and older ones which are much quieter need about 30.
And the bass boost is pretty cool. The S9's Machbass setting doesnt really increase that "oomph" effect, but the E5's bass boost sure does, so the E5's bass boost combined with a low S9 bass boost setting make it just perfect for me.

Last edited by SirDigger; 11-05-2009 at 02:01 PM.