android
Old 10-30-2009, 11:51 AM

Default D2+ teething trouble

So I am the proud(ish) owner of a new D2+ DAB.

Sounds super in comparison to my old Creative Zen (although the earphone upgrade is probably responsible in part for the improvement) and the DAB radio is wonderful.

But boy this thing is a trickly little blighter to use. The UI is just gruesome. So much clicking to find my music.

Id3 tags disappear from files I'm trying to import and if I don't switch my USB connection to MTP the thing can't be recognised by my laptop and dies until it is reset again.

Contrary to the documentation it doesn't appear to play Audible files.

I'm prepared to put in a bit of effort to get something working but trawling through discussion forums trying to find the answer to the numerous difficulties I'm experiencing is not much fun.

Has anyone else experienced any of these problems and resolved them without having to come up with overly fiddly work arounds?

Pretty close to returning it.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-30-2009, 06:44 PM

The D2 is a very "fiddly" player Only US firmware supports Audible files (2.xx) though I'm not sure if the DAB version does or not.

I personally love the UI, except for the 5 second reset timer (it should only go back to now playing when hold is switched or left idle for 30 seconds IMO)

The D2 has always had a bit of an ID3 tag problem, though I have never encountered it myself, try clearing the memory then adding the music on chunk by chunk (2gb at a time or so)

As for it being recognized by the laptop, will the laptop send power if the device isn't recognized? I've never had a problem so long as my laptop is plugged into the wall (otherwise the laptop's battery will drain) It also may be showing up as a "mass storage device" instead of "COWON D2+"

Bottom line is if you don't like it and won't enjoy using it, send it back and try something else, there's no reason you should have to think of operating your player as a chore.

Old 10-31-2009, 06:42 PM

Well, I have to say that the ID3 tag, audible and MSC issues have mysteriously resolved themselves this morning!

Still think the UI is fugly - shame there don't seem to be many flash themes for the D2+ DAB.

I think I'm going to persist - hopeful that Rockbox will be available in the not too distant future. Gapless would be perfection.

Old 11-01-2009, 12:43 AM

As long as you know rockbox won't be a guarentee it's your choice! the D2 isn't the most user friendly player on the market, but it does have a lot of potential if a UI overhaul was possible. I think the original developers on the software/firmware side wanted it to look more complex than it should be to make it have that whole "high end" feel, but they really didn't.

That being said you can change fonts, backgrounds, and text color, as well as every image in the UI, it's just the UI it'self, the way it's set just plain sucks at the moment.