android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Samsung > Samsung P2 > Samsung P2 Accessories

Old 03-07-2008, 05:19 PM

Default Best Skins Ever DIY home made skin pattern (With pattern and pictures)

After looking all over the web, I couldn't find any invisible shield or best skins ever patterns. The reason for my searching, is that I didn't want to spend extra money to buy a skin, then have to wait for it to get to me. So I made my own

I remembered that I had a diy sheet from bestskinsever, so, I decided to give it a shot and make my own pattern. I only made a front and back; so the top loopy thingy and the bottom port and headphone jack are not covered (which I don't think, at least for me, are all that important to cover anyway).

The front piece doesn't cover the entire front, 0.3 cm not covered on the bottom (see the pictures) because the width of the BestSkinsEver DIY sheet is not the full width of the p2; however you can rotate the pattern, before you cut the diy sheet, and it'll work (just add 0.3 cm to the length of the front piece of the pattern, And not the back; since it's not as wide as the front) I didn't want to rotate it because it would leave a, almost, unusable strip.
The other thing I noticed after putting it on my p2, is that it was a little bit wide (like 0.1 of a cm on each side); this isn't really a problem because you can cut the edges (after it's on the player) and make them look nicer (at least make a smoother looking edge), by taking a little razor and cutting the skin right in/at the two edges of the plastic (the seam were the front and back pieces of plastic meet).

I actually don't have the back piece on, as of right now. But I will caution you that you do not cut the pattern out upside-down, since the power button/hold switch are larger than the volume buttons. So lay the pattern on the player and figure out how your going to cut the diy sheet before you do anything.

The pattern is in an attachment so you can download it and print it. It is in a microsoft word document (in a zip folder). I couldn't get it to format as a regular picture, and that's way it's in a mic.doc. So sorry if you don't have microsoft word. If anyone knows how to get it formated on a free program, go for it!

Here's the link to the DIY sheet

http://www.bestskinsever.com/servlet...-To-Fit/Detail

So I hope you all will enjoy! Feel free to post thoughts and comments! Would love feedback!

(Here's a link for 7-zip, if you don't have it. And it's free!)
http://www.download.com/7-Zip/3000-2...html?tag=lst-5
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Samsung P2_1.jpg (35.2 KB, 537 views)
File Type: jpg Samsung P2_3.jpg (45.6 KB, 449 views)
File Type: jpg Samsung P2_6.jpg (54.7 KB, 356 views)
File Type: jpg Samsung P2_7.jpg (59.9 KB, 498 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip Samsung P2 Pattern.zip (131.6 KB, 187 views)

Last edited by shalom24; 03-08-2008 at 02:45 AM. Reason: some clarification

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-07-2008, 06:05 PM

Pattern is nice. Arent you gonna use the remains of the sheet for covering the top part?

Old 03-08-2008, 02:39 AM

Probably not, because when I carry it I usually put it in a pocket by itself; and so I don't really have to worry about the top or bottom getting scratched from anything like keys or something. But I bet it would be a good use of the extra material, the little strip anyway (if you had cut the skin longways on diy sheet)
Yeah, thanks for the comment!

Old 03-08-2008, 12:09 PM
Samsung Moderator

Nice little guide. Let's stick it for awhile and see how that goes.

Old 03-08-2008, 03:32 PM

can you give us a picture of the back of it, iw ant to see what it looks like

Old 03-08-2008, 09:10 PM

Sorry, at the moment I only have the front on. I was planning on putting the back piece on say Tuesday or Wednesday; and I'll post pictures then. I'll also use a better camera that has a macro feature (and along with back pictures I can probably retake a better front and side picture).
Yeah, the camera I used is an older digital cannon (about 5 years old), and so it didn't want to focus on the player, it was only focusing on the desk, so sorry for the unclear pictures. (and I'll try and do a better job of cleaning junk off the player too)
Thanks for the interest and comment!

Old 03-13-2008, 09:44 PM

Well, here are the pictures of the back. Hope you all enjoy them!

(Something I'd like to mention, is that I'm almost certain that the back pattern is correct. However after putting it on, it came up a little long (like 0.1 cm) on one side (I'm like 98% sure it was because I stretched the skin as I was putting it on). So, again, I took a little razor and cut it to how I wanted it on the edges.

The reset button is covered (I didn't bother making a hole on the pattern, because in order to line up that teeny-tiny hole you would have to spend a ton of time; not to mention that the entire skin sorta stretches a little so on the edges it may be strait but the little hole maybe way off). So what I did (unfortunately after the pictures), is get a little piece of metal (like a paper clip or large needle) and heated it up and poked it where the hole is. This just puts a little hole for the reset button, and it looks really nice, since it was seared.

In the pictures you can see that the edges are slightly cloudy looking. I'm pretty sure this is because I didn't take a lot of time to cut my edges really exact and straight, which made the edges guwy like, and thus cloudy looking.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Samsung p2_1 3-13-08.jpg (24.1 KB, 214 views)
File Type: jpg Samsung p2_2 3-13-08.jpg (24.0 KB, 182 views)
File Type: jpg Samsung p2_3 3-13-08.jpg (35.4 KB, 203 views)
File Type: jpg Samsung p2_4 3-13-08.jpg (21.9 KB, 158 views)
File Type: jpg Samsung p2_5 3-13-08.jpg (22.3 KB, 212 views)

Old 03-13-2008, 09:50 PM
Banned

nice work, i can c you worked hard and its really neat and looks pleasing to the eye 10/10

Old 03-18-2008, 12:54 PM

If anyone has suggestions or comments I would love to here them!

Old 03-19-2008, 12:56 PM

could i use the plastic wrap that is used to cover books to cover the p2

Old 03-19-2008, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetlover View Post
could i use the plastic wrap that is used to cover books to cover the p2
you can... but then lol, they dont seem that secure and they may have bad contact.

Old 03-22-2008, 01:59 PM

Protech has a full body shield and it covers the player really well, even the top. If someone did buy that kit (and hasn't applied it yet) then they should scan the shields in and upload them as templates.

Old 03-22-2008, 09:50 PM

I agree, jhaks, If someone did that then people could use their DIY sheets!

Old 04-26-2008, 01:57 AM

Ah damn it !!!

Done it and redone and over and over and I just F*ing can't make it perfect ! F*ing bubbles or... some lame dust....
This thing is driving me nuts.

Do you wet both sides before sticking it on ?

I did have used InvisibleShield with my GPS and it was somewhat a little able to slide around to make it perfect adjustment...
but with this BestSkin ... it seems to be little more sticky?

Old 04-26-2008, 02:08 PM

Did you by chance see the instructions on Bestskinsever?
Here's a link if you didn't
http://www.bestskinsever.com/servlet...plication/Page

I've followed those instructions and haven't had really any problems. There is one thing I don't do that it says to do in the instructions. It says to use a credit card or something like that (to get the water and bubbles out), but I did that once and the credit card obviously had a slightly messed up edge, and it put a weird stretch mark on the skin. So, you probably could use a credit card without to much of a problem, just make sure that the edges are smooth (One more thing too, make sure whatever you're using to "squeegee out the bubbles" is wet; I've found that makes a huge difference to how it stretches the skin). And try not to overwork the skin, by putting to much presure when you work out the bubbles. Sorry you've had a hard time, but let me know how it turns out.

Old 07-23-2008, 05:42 PM

Thumb Up Thanks

@Shalom24 Got my BSE a couple of days ago and used your pattern, it worked out great! I screwed up a little and the edges didn't lay exactly right, but good enough for me. At first I was a little disappointed in the skins appearance, but it improved vastly in a couple of days of dry time. Thanks for sharing!

Old 10-19-2009, 08:56 PM

i have polished the paint off the back of my p2 and i was considering doing the BSE with this template as the final touch, but im not sure about putting the liquid on the raw metal back. my fear is that over time, small amounts of trapped liquid might cause some kind of oxidization or staining of a sorts.

any one have any thoughts, ideas or even alternate suggestions?

ps. big thanks to shalom24 for saving me lodes of time and making this great template, worked great on my gf's p2!

Old 10-20-2009, 01:03 AM
Samsung Moderator

Well the P2 case back is aluminum which is very corrosion resistant. Aluminum actually forms a very thin layer of Al2O3 (Aluminum Oxide) when it is exposed to air that is essentially non-reactive with just about any substance you are likely to come into contact with. This process, known as passivation is what makes aluminum sculptures resist the years of rain (which is generally acidic ~pH 6.3) and other environmental insults without any sort of coating or protection.

As to whether the compound will stain? If it dries clear, it won't stain months later... Likely.

Old 10-20-2009, 11:05 PM

well thats about as good an explanation as ill ever get!
sassafras, you sir, are thorough!

iv got a few more coats of polish and im going to give it a try. after all the polishing its the best way to avoid scuffs from laying it down on tables and whatnot.