android
Old 09-19-2009, 08:32 AM

FM Radio seems to be fixed now. I'm using the latest posted firmware build (9/19): http://build.rockbox.org/data/rockbox-clip.zip and the bootloader that dfkt posted above: http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/sho...&postcount=409

UPDATE: Well, it did work a couple of times. Then I tried to go back in and all I get is a black screen and the Clip locks up.

Last edited by ytsejam1138; 09-19-2009 at 08:43 AM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-02-2009, 02:49 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

I posted the first of what will probably be a series of test builds here with playback logging in order to explore whats happening during deadlocks:

http://forums.rockbox.org/index.php?topic=22845.0

Old 10-04-2009, 08:06 AM

Somehow your test build jinxed my Clip - it doesn't crash anymore. I've been listening for hours on end with clip-loggingv2.7z.

Old 10-04-2009, 10:13 AM

I've noticed that the test builds crash less frequently, probably because they spend so much time logging to the disk that the buffering thread ends up acting significantly differently. I did manage to get some interesting logs on my clip, now I just need to make sense of it

Old 10-04-2009, 10:15 AM

Sorry I can't be any help since mine didn't crash in over 15 hours of playback - but at least I think I will keep running with this build for the next time... seems to be a bit of a Schroedinger's Cat problem - as soon as you measure the deadlocks, they disappear.

Old 10-04-2009, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
Sorry I can't be any help since mine didn't crash in over 15 hours of playback ...
Did you try any skipping music, ff or rw? I only ask as it’s the only time mine locks up and requires a reboot, aside from that it runs perfect for me.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 10-04-2009, 02:48 PM

I used it normally: changing EQ settings, selecting tracks, skipping, FFWD/REW, checking track info, deleting tracks, etc.

All normal builds always tended to crash with 100% certainty in the first track of a new folder/album for me, after changing from a previous folder (file/folder browsing, auto-change directory, repeat off, shuffle off). This test build just plays on and on.

Old 10-04-2009, 02:56 PM

Quote:
I used it normally: changing EQ settings, selecting tracks, FFWD/REW, checking track info, etc.

All normal builds always tended to crash with 100% certainty in the first track of a new folder/album for me, after changing from another folder. This one just plays on and on.
Wow, that sounds better than how mines working, don't get me wrong I can change almost anything, eq, etc, even a game while listening. Although if I track forward or back, that causes a crash after a few minutes.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 10-04-2009, 02:59 PM

Well - chop chop, load Saratoga's test build! If it crashes, upload the log on the Rockbox forums (that's what it's for) - if not, be happy.

Old 10-08-2009, 06:23 PM

dfkt - would you be willing to post a link to the bootloader & the firmware you're having success with?

Old 10-08-2009, 06:25 PM

I posted my bootloader one page earlier in this thread, and Saratoga linked his test build right on top of this very page.

Old 10-08-2009, 06:34 PM

Thanks dfkt, I wasn't sure if the bootloader was valid being that it was compiled prior to Saratoga's test build. Didn't want to take any chances with the little Clip. :-)

Old 10-10-2009, 11:31 AM

Quote:
I used it normally: changing EQ settings, selecting tracks, skipping, FFWD/REW, checking track info, deleting tracks, etc.

All normal builds always tended to crash with 100% certainty in the first track of a new folder/album for me, after changing from a previous folder (file/folder browsing, auto-change directory, repeat off, shuffle off). This test build just plays on and on.
Same here. But no crashes or hangs in 3 hours of using Saratoga's logging version since installing it yesterday.

The only oddity I noted was that sometimes setting changes don't stick the first time, usually the second attempt will get saved.

Old 10-10-2009, 12:51 PM

I have just installed rockbox on my clip v1 and I love it. I have been waiting for a release that seemed a bit more stable. And this one apparently is.. It starts amazingly fast and it works great on the small screen of the clip.

For anyone interested trying installing is very easy, I have used the method described here

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...&postcount=250

bootloader is here : http://anythingbutipod.com/images/fo...-dual_boot.zip

Rockbox with logging:
http://duke.edu/~mgg6/rockbox/clip-loggingv2.7z

Dfkt, it might be helpful for others to update your first post and add the latest info there.

Saratoga, thanks for continuing development. I have been waiting anxiously for this one. You and the other devs working on this made my day I will report as soon as I have any crash.

One question: voice menus cannot be enabled in this build yet?

Old 10-10-2009, 02:06 PM

Makes me wonder if I should've got a clip not a c+...but here I am waiting for Rockbox! SE doesn't have a port yet too - I always choose the hard-to-port players.

Old 10-10-2009, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedB View Post
Dfkt, it might be helpful for others to update your first post and add the latest info there.
I'm not sure it should be that easy at this point in time. Rockbox is still unstable and unsupported on the Clip. I'd rather have people reading the whole thread and informing themselves about what they're getting into - than having people simply downloading the loader and firmware and posting some "ZOMG it crashed!" or "How do I do [x] on Rockbox?" message that isn't overly beneficial at this moment.

Old 10-10-2009, 03:13 PM

I can see your point dfkt. I consider any change to my default firmware (even official firmware) a risk so I'm not too worried myself. When the non tech savvy are converting on-mass to a untested firmware that can become nasty indeed.

Old 10-16-2009, 07:05 AM

I stayed away of the rockbox and ABY forums for a little more than 1 month, and now I find this saratoga 'casual' fix to the crash issue. Great improvement!!
But please, may I ask: when/why/how did the FM Radio stopped working? It was working really good!! (and I really love the multiple preset files feature).
was it something related to the Clip or to the general rockbox development?

Old 10-20-2009, 12:29 PM

http://www.duke.edu/~mgg6/rockbox/ro...e_handle_v1.7z

I compiled the latest buffering patch if anyone wants to try it. No logging in this build, just fixes for low memory buffering. No idea how much of a difference it will make, but matsch seems to think he improved it a lot.

Old 10-23-2009, 08:29 AM

Thanks Saratoga, will give that build a try. EDIT: This build doesn't work for me at all, it crashes after a few seconds.

Here's a new bootloader: r23321-091023-1.1.32a-dual_boot.zip