android
Old 09-29-2009, 11:06 AM

Default Potential S9 buyer

Hello all,

I've been doing some research on the S9, as I'm interested in getting a new mp3 player. I just wanted to run some thoughts and/or questions by before I commit to buying one. I apologize if these questions are addressed in other areas of the forum - although I've tried looking through the threads and most of my questions have already been answered, I may have not noticed some other threads.

Firstly, I'll start off by saying that I'm a fairly picky listener, though I wouldn't go as far as to say I'm an audiophile. I currently have a 2GB Samsung YP-K3 (the version with custom EQ and DNSe) and Shure SE115 headphones. I bought an iPod touch and an iPod classic recently and hated the sound quality of both, so I returned them...both were totally tinny and lifeless...even compared to a sub-$100 player like my tried-and-true Samsung.

So, my first question is, how would my 2 year old Samsung's SQ compare to the BBE/etc of the S9? In general, how have Samsung's players compared to the S9?

Next, is an interface question. I downloaded the Virtual S9 program for UCI development, and noticed that when you hit the library button in the Now Playing screen for music, it takes you back to the full library view. However, on youtube reviews I've noticed that it takes you to the folder you were previously viewing (ie, the album of the song you're listening to). Which is it? I'm betting the latter, which I would prefer...I don't want to have to re-navigate through my folder structure if all I want to do is change artists using a back button.

Secondly, I'm used to a small form factor (as is evident in the YP-K3), and I'm curious as to how the S9 compares in overall portability. I may be splitting hairs here, but even when I had my iPod classic it felt much more bulky. A few mm's in thickness and width made a big difference. However, I suppose the 150+ gram iPod will feel different than the 77gram S9. I've heard that although it's made of plastic, the build quailty is above average and shouldn't be a problem for careful users.

Lastly, I'm generally curious about the marketplace at the moment. I'm in Canada, and right now I have the option to buy a 16GB for $201USD or a 32GB for $264USD. I have about 35GB of music, though I find having it all on my MP3 player at once is overbearing.

...my point is, since they're on sale right now, does that mean they'll soon be replaced with an entirely new model, or are the lower prices in response to the recent release of the third generation iPods? It's tough to tell with these things, because I can never tell when the right time to buy is.

Right now my Samsung works fine, and I'm just dabbling because a part of me thinks an S9 will be a great improvement. Another part of me just wants to wait until my Samsung dies before I spend money on a new player.

What do you guys think? Will the differences be worth it, or should I wait until a new generation comes out, or until my Samsung dies?

Sorry if this is very long....any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-29-2009, 03:19 PM

I can't answer all your questions.. but hitting the library button takes you back to the folder you were in last and the "cursor" will be on the song you are currently playing.

I used to use a iRiver clix2, which is much smaller than the S9 and I do feel the difference in size in terms of where I carry my S9 compared to the clix2. That being said, I still find that the S9 is a totally manageable size. What I might suggest is that you go to a local Sony store and check out the size of one of the Walkman X series. They are somewhat comparable in size, while the S9's curved shape makes it somewhat more pocket-friendly, I find.

Hope that helps.

Old 09-29-2009, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc2080 View Post
That being said, I still find that the S9 is a totally manageable size.
I'm amazed at how light and small people demand things to be these days. I've grown up with Walkmans and portable CD players and Creative's line of Nomad MP3 players. One actually had a 2.5" disk in it.

I find the S9 to be too small. It's hard to grip and the controls are too small. It weighs less than the cord on my headphones so it regularly gets pulled off my desk onto the floor. The curved back makes it rock on a flat desk.

Old 09-29-2009, 06:21 PM

going to hijack this, as I'm becoming yet more indecisive and might be getting an extra bit of money that can be thrown into the pot.....
is the cowon warranty international? As in, if I get someone to buy the player from B&H and bring it back (or get B&H to ship it over) and something goes wrong, I could just send it to cowon UK?

Old 09-29-2009, 07:15 PM
Ultra Senior Member

B&H Photo has an international warranty. Call or email them to ask questions.

Old 09-30-2009, 03:36 AM

As a tip, if you get the Cowon leather case for the S9 it won't rock on your desk. It's also pretty well padded and will protect it if you drop it. All the hardware buttons are accessable as well and the extra weight it adds makes it feel a bit more substantial. It's a pretty good buy.

Old 09-30-2009, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieE View Post
As a tip, if you get the Cowon leather case for the S9 it won't rock on your desk. It's also pretty well padded and will protect it if you drop it. All the hardware buttons are accessable as well and the extra weight it adds makes it feel a bit more substantial. It's a pretty good buy.
Totally agree with Edd, I bought the leather case for my S9 and it protects my beloved player very well.

Otherwise, I recommend the SGP Anti-fingerprint screen protector for it. Unless you use S9 for movie, it won't affect too much to you (decrease 5-10% the crystal clear of image). But it provides a huge advantage of anti-fingerprint feature.

Old 09-30-2009, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieE View Post
As a tip, if you get the Cowon leather case for the S9 it won't rock on your desk.
Amazon was out of them when I bought my S9. I was going to buy one someplace else but I've just been using my Creative Zen more and more at work lately, mainly because it can run while charging so I don't have to constantly recharge it or worry about accidentally leaving it on before I leave.

Old 09-30-2009, 09:04 PM

I've had a small amount of experience with Samsung sound quality, and it's my unyielding opinion that ANYthing but Cowon is simply unacceptable. In fact, if it's not Cowon, I generally find it startlingly unacceptable. Samsung is certainly leaps and bounds ahead of an Ipod (then again, I could plug my earphones into a chair and I'd probably come to the same conclusion), but I find their limited customization options a bit...lacking. Then again, it's been a while since I listened to a Samsung player. But Cowon offers an incredible depth of customization options within the EQ, and I've never been disappointed when my Cowon players were hooked up to proper earbuds.

Old 10-05-2009, 03:37 PM

Thanks for the thoughts... I got around to going to the Sony store this weekend and tried out the X-series. Didn't like any of the interface or anything, but the size was about right.

Another couple of questions... can the S9 drive a lot of bass, if necessary? I don't like it muddy but I find that the Shure in-ears need a bit more bass than other headphones to sound nice.

And...it's starting to get colder where I am in Canada...I noticed the S9 is rated to operate at temperatures above 0 Celsius...but in the winter, it'll be colder than that...possibly -20 or so. Is the temperature rating just "suggested", or is there a reason? (ie, glass cracking, unit crashing, battery failing, etc)

Old 10-06-2009, 10:45 AM

she'll put out enough bass for you.

Old 10-06-2009, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsharp7 View Post
And...it's starting to get colder where I am in Canada...I noticed the S9 is rated to operate at temperatures above 0 Celsius...but in the winter, it'll be colder than that...possibly -20 or so. Is the temperature rating just "suggested", or is there a reason? (ie, glass cracking, unit crashing, battery failing, etc)
Just keep it in your pocket. Your body parts will start failing around 0C.

Old 10-07-2009, 09:03 AM

I too am in Canada, and I am also looking at picking up the S9. Have you found somewhere in Canada selling them? Or are you ordering it online? Also, with updated firmware, the S9 is now gapless, right?

Old 10-07-2009, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post
Amazon was out of them when I bought my S9. I was going to buy one someplace else but I've just been using my Creative Zen more and more at work lately, mainly because it can run while charging so I don't have to constantly recharge it or worry about accidentally leaving it on before I leave.
Are you using a PC to charge it or a standalone USB charger?
I finally figured out it can be used while plugged into a USB charger if you press the play/pause button for about half a second.

Old 10-07-2009, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsocker View Post
Are you using a PC to charge it or a standalone USB charger?
I'm using a PC. Would this still work? Maybe I have to unmount the MSC device first.

Old 10-07-2009, 06:39 PM

Hey im in Canada also and i was in your position, i came from a Samsung YP-p2 and the jump is INCREDIBLE!!! SQ destroys samsung, also it is SOOO LIGHT!!!

Then for buying it, i wugot my on amazon.ca for VERY cheap, compared to some other places, i only got 16 gig tho.

Old 10-07-2009, 07:05 PM

Thanks for the comments...Samsung has decent sound quality in my opinion...it's easier to imagine a step down, but harder to imagine a step up in SQ. I'm looking forward to it!

Old 10-08-2009, 03:18 PM

What kind of brokerage, taxes, fees etc can be expected if I live in Canada and order one from the US? Has anyone done this? Amazon.ca currently is out of stock with no eta for new ones and some of the other online places selling them in Canada seem a little pricey...

Old 10-14-2009, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsharp7 View Post
Thanks for the comments...Samsung has decent sound quality in my opinion...it's easier to imagine a step down, but harder to imagine a step up in SQ. I'm looking forward to it!
If you are comfortable with Samsung, the P3's DNSe is an improvement over anything Samsung has ever put out before. P2's SQ was "pretty good" but P3 walks all over it. This coming from an owner of 5 Samsung DAPs all the way back to 128MB Yepp. Unless you are willing to invest in really expensive earphones, I have trouble believing the S9 can top P3 in terms of SQ, not to mention a lot more "portable" and easier to use.