android
Old 10-09-2009, 09:23 PM

Default Good time to buy cowon s9

Hi guys,

I'm planning to buy a 32 gb Cowon S9. I need your opinions about this.

Is Cowon about to manufacture another DAP that is much better than S9?

Are they going to produce a 64 gb version of the S9?

So basically, I wanna know the good time to buy one.

I need to know stuffs like these and alike. The money I'm about to pay is hard earned and I want to get the best possible player/sound out of it.

Actually, I'm right now looking at Clip+ which is smaller in size, but has no video. Which of these players have better SQ w/ Senn IE8 + fiio e5?
Thank you.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-09-2009, 09:46 PM

Well Cowon has the iAudio9 and the the E2 but they're completely different players and don't much information out yet.

Don't know about a 64GB S9, but you can never really know with Cowon...

With DAP's there's never a really good time to buy, cause if you wait something else will come out, show up, be leaked, etc.

I don't own the Clip+ or S9 so I've no clue how they'll sound with the setup you want, But I'd go with the S9 because of the fully customizable EQ.

Last edited by quintets_man; 10-09-2009 at 10:13 PM.

Old 10-09-2009, 10:13 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I believe Cowon is betting on the S9 to last them a few years, with major improvements/enhancements to it to come yearly. That could mean a version with WiFi, or just more memory (64gb) or even just more kick-azz media enhancements like HD video support and output to an HDTV. Of course there is no way to know for sure, as only Cowon themselves know what they are up to.

Old 10-10-2009, 08:56 AM

these 2 are of different class, price wise cowon s9 is several times the price of clip+. but I have both and I like both.

Old 10-10-2009, 09:00 AM

right now, i'm unsure if i have to wait or get the s9..

i hope this thread gets more inputs to help me..

Old 10-10-2009, 02:22 PM

I have a Cowon S9 and the old clip, the latter I use for sports. The clip + has the same audio circuitry as the old one, so there shouldn't be any difference between the new and old one. Standard the sound quality of the S9 and clip are similar. But the EQ on the clip sucks and custom eq makes it sound worse, while the S9's EQ and BBE+ settings make it way better. If you like a 'flat' sound, you could also go for the clip. If you like dynamic sound and want that icing on the cake (and all the features the clip lacks), take the S9

Old 10-10-2009, 07:17 PM

From what I've read its impossible to write to more than 30gb of the 32gb S9 without "bricking it" so a 64gb S9 may be half useless ;-)

This is my 1st post and I ordered an S9 today. Apologies if I have misread the brick reports. From what I read it started out as "Linux sometimes makes the device unusable" and then moved to "If you use any OS and write enough data to the S9 then it can cause problems and require sending back to Cowon" and then "If this happens all you have to do is reformat the device using your PC".

Like I said, I've ordered one, good luck :-)

Old 10-10-2009, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbaac View Post
From what I've read its impossible to write to more than 30gb of the 32gb S9 without "bricking it" so a 64gb S9 may be half useless ;-)

This is my 1st post and I ordered an S9 today. Apologies if I have misread the brick reports. From what I read it started out as "Linux sometimes makes the device unusable" and then moved to "If you use any OS and write enough data to the S9 then it can cause problems and require sending back to Cowon" and then "If this happens all you have to do is reformat the device using your PC".

This is utterly uncorrect as far as windows is concerned... I've filed up my S9 way past 30GB and I've no issues (windows 7, vista & XP).

Old 10-10-2009, 07:23 PM

^ I haven't read the full thread on the bricking issue with linux and Mac.

But personally I haven't had such a problem when I filled my 32GB S9 all the way until there was only 150MB free space.

Old 10-10-2009, 07:29 PM

Sorry Globibougla, I can't find them right now but I believe that I've read reports of people having a similar issue on Windows.
All people are doing on Linux is using it as a very fancy usb stick when its plugged into the PC, so there should be no problems because of that. (and they swear that they unmounted it correctly). And as Trent25 has just shown, it doesn't happen on Linux with every S9 either.

Old 10-10-2009, 07:34 PM

I am using it on Windows.

Sorry I wasn't clear about that

Old 10-10-2009, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trent25 View Post
I am using it on Windows.

Sorry I wasn't clear about that
Please don't spoil my point

One question is whether the same effect can be achieved when transferring files using windows explorer rather than the S9 applications.

Anyway, this is OT, sorry my bad.

Old 10-10-2009, 08:08 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Sorry Globibougla, I can't find them right now but I believe that I've read reports of people having a similar issue on Windows.
All people are doing on Linux is using it as a very fancy usb stick when its plugged into the PC, so there should be no problems because of that. (and they swear that they unmounted it correctly). And as Trent25 has just shown, it doesn't happen on Linux with every S9 either.
I had a 32gb S9 an filled it to max in 1 sitting and it never bricked on me. I'm using Windows Vista Ultimate, so there was no issue from my mass cramming of the device.

Old 10-12-2009, 08:35 AM

Anytime is the right time to buy s9
[Amplifier]FiiO e5

Old 10-12-2009, 08:38 AM

Quote:

does this mean its useless to wait for a 64gb s9?? i personally believe that this might be untrue, if this is true, many people will surely kill cowon if they do such a gimmick..

anyone can confirm this?

Old 10-12-2009, 10:20 AM

If you read everyone's reply to my post they've all said that its not true. So hopefully you're safe.

I've ordered a 32gb anyway, it should be here in the morning. I'm going to try the formatting it first (from a Linux PC) because there's a suggestion that this might help. (and is covered by the documentation so isn't against the normal usage instructions)

There is however a much stronger suggestion (backed up by the replies to my post) that if you stick to Windows then you won't have any trouble with your S9. As I don't even have one yet, I'd believe them :-)