android
Old 10-06-2009, 12:08 PM

Default X-Fi capability and quality of Zii Egg

I am waiting to receive my Zii on Friday and have one minor concern. It says everywhere that this device has X-Fi audio processing, but now i'm reading reports that it is using the same chip as the Zune. I own a Zen and I think the processing on that does a decent job compared to the rest of the available mp3 players, even though it is fake software garbage. I just want to be sure that I will at least have the same quality of the fake software garbage that I do with the Zen, even if it is not yet implemented with the currently available model, and as long as I can play flac I will no longer be pissed that the X-Fi with flac support came out two weeks after I bought the one that didn't have it. bastards. Anyway, anyone have any thoughts?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-10-2009, 08:13 AM

Default Rockin

Well, got the egg and threw some flac files on there. sounds better than my zen x-fi even without the processing. can't wait to hear what it sounds like when they add. it. very satisfied, one bad-ass piece of equipment. itouch is done.

Old 10-11-2009, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzer0912 View Post
itouch is done.
what is itouch? Is it a cheap chinese ripoff of the iPod Touch?

Old 10-11-2009, 10:25 AM
Ultra Senior Member

itouch is an abbreviation of "iPod Touch." The iPod Touch is made in China, so in effect it is a cheap Chinese ripoff of itself.

I've got an Egg now. I don't play with it much as I'm waiting for the android OS to become available for it. Right now half the hardware is ignored by the current OS.

Old 10-19-2009, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzer0912 View Post
I am waiting to receive my Zii on Friday and have one minor concern. It says everywhere that this device has X-Fi audio processing, but now i'm reading reports that it is using the same chip as the Zune. I own a Zen and I think the processing on that does a decent job compared to the rest of the available mp3 players, even though it is fake software garbage. I just want to be sure that I will at least have the same quality of the fake software garbage that I do with the Zen, even if it is not yet implemented with the currently available model, and as long as I can play flac I will no longer be pissed that the X-Fi with flac support came out two weeks after I bought the one that didn't have it. bastards. Anyway, anyone have any thoughts?
If you own a X-Fi that didnt support FLAC, sure the latest firmware update that came out must of had FLAC suppoort. I mean take for eg the Sansa Fuze, when it came it out did not support FLAC, but now with the latest Firmware it does.

Old 10-19-2009, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olley View Post
itouch is an abbreviation of "iPod Touch." The iPod Touch is made in China, so in effect it is a cheap Chinese ripoff of itself.

I've got an Egg now. I don't play with it much as I'm waiting for the android OS to become available for it. Right now half the hardware is ignored by the current OS.
So what OS is your Egg running and I thought the Creatives Zii/Egg were not even out yet for the public or consumers

Old 10-19-2009, 10:32 AM
Ultra Senior Member

My Zii Egg is a developer's model ($399) 32gb and has the Plaszma OS on it at the moment. I'm hoping Android shows up for it this week.

Last edited by Olley; 10-19-2009 at 10:45 AM.

Old 10-19-2009, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olley View Post
My Zii Egg is a developer's model ($399) 32gb and has the Plaszma OS on it at the moment. I'm hoping Android show up for it this week.
should show up anytime... but i wonder, will android make use of more of the egg's features, or just improve on the software... like, will a GPS app work? will the android skype apps work? hopefully... cause if this thing works... creative will definitely get an offer... or just do it themselves...

Old 10-19-2009, 10:47 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WikiWarrior View Post
should show up anytime... but i wonder, will android make use of more of the egg's features, or just improve on the software... like, will a GPS app work? will the android skype apps work? hopefully... cause if this thing works... creative will definitely get an offer... or just do it themselves...
I'll let you know when I've got it. I've got a phone now with android, and since it does GPS, bluetooth, etc., I can't imagine the Android release for the Zii NOT covering all the hardware at least.

Old 10-21-2009, 10:17 PM

The developer edition of the egg has a lot of bugs, so basically all it is when you get it is a touch screen mp3 player and digital camera. even these programs are buggy. there are some developers posting some basic gps hardware test programs, but haven't tried these yet. also not sure what will be working in the android release, hopefully next week, as this also is supposed to be very basic as well. i'm trying to decide whether or not to keep the plaszma OS because it is based in C++ along with the entire API. going to android means going to java, and java means slow, but i haven't really looked at the android api yet. they are saying now that dual boot will not be available, but i'm hoping there will be a way to make it work.