android
Old 10-06-2009, 02:18 PM

I just got a v1 2 GB Fuze refurb cheap, put a 8 GB card in it and rockboxed it first thing. I've been a RB user on my e260 for probably a couple of years and liked the more svelt form factor of the Fuze so I jumped in when the price was right (got it from NewEgg BTW).
One thing I'd love to be able to do either through an existing these or modifying one is to have big icons like the original fw on the main menu. This would make it easier to see what I'm doing at a glance when I just want to make the music start. Can that level of customization be done with a theme or has it been done already? Thanks!

Matt

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-07-2009, 02:21 AM

Hello from Hell.

I have been sick like a dog (tried coming up for air a few times, but never had the strength to actually compose anything to post). Still not doing real well. No, not swine flu. Swine flu would be a step up from what I've been dealing with. Or so it feels.

Anyway, the good news is that I held off on installing Rockbox on my Fuze, even though I really wanted to have it going. The "still small voice" (NOT literal!) made me a bit nervous about putting beta FW on a player that is capable of being permanently bricked.

The good news part of it is that my Fuze just went wheels-up. Or rather, "wheel still" -- the wheel, which was beautifully smooth, turning with the lightest touch, all of a sudden behaves really bad -- it takes SO much pressure to turn it that the switches keep clicking when I try, and even at that, my finger keeps slipping, moving faster than the wheel.

I hope I don't have grief with the warranty -- it's via SquareTrade -- my fear is that they'll replace it with a V2, or a "re-do" with a bad display, or scratched window, or funky color, or...

Damn, I really liked that thing. Beautiful red V1 4GB, worked great, looked forward to Rockbox going to production code and finally getting away from the stock firmware. Now, I feel like tossing it in a river or something. NOT going to get my hopes up -- if they return a V2 or funky junk of a piece, I'll unload it on ebay (with an accurate description) and move on with my life.

I also had one of my Zunes go bad, that one is supposed to be delivered tomorrow. The one they sent has a different serial number from the one I sent in for repair, so I guess the replaced it. I'm pretty much resigned to them having screwed it up so that I will NOT be able to use my Ver3 software, and I will NOT put V4 on anything I own (hell, I CAN'T put V4 on anything I own, since I have a dialup connection and can't access anything fast enough to handle the V4 bloatwhale.

So, I'm resigned to THAT one going to ebay too. Some days it just doesn't pay...

I guess I'll start saving up for a nice Cowon or Archos -- something with a nice display, big hard drive, and NO "ecosystem" to forcibly ride up my colon.

Plus, I really doubt I'll be able to continue using V3 anyway for much longer. I have tired blocking that sumbitch every which way I can via the firewall, but they seem to have coded it to go AROUND the firewall, deftly bypassing ALL my rules (ALL incoming and outgoing network activity is BLOCKED, with rules set up for EVERY executable that is part of the Zune "experience").

Say, what IS the definition of "malware" anyway?

I'd been manually clicking the "later" button (nice choice I'm given -- accept the 4.0 crap now, or later -- NO option to NOT accept it), but I figured it was just a question of time before they got tired of my playing hard to get, and would simply slip a mickey that would make my existing system unusable until I DO accept their "upgraded" version.

So, I now take my computer off the network each time I use the Zune program. At first I was physically pulling the ethernet cable, but now I just kill the connection. If they go so far as to rig it to CREATE a connection that I have intentionally closed, then I will be really, really pissed.

But, this whole rigamarole is a major PITA, and, it's almost inevitable that at some point I'll skip a beat -- forget to take the computer offline before putting a file on the player -- and then poof, I'm screwed. I don't need this kind of BS, so I guess I'll unload my last Zune on ebay too.

Damn, I really do like the players -- the HARDWARE -- but, since, as the davebot has made abundantly clear, it's not ABOUT the hardware, but it's ALL about "the ecosystem" then I'm clearly pissing into the wind in my efforts to use the player AS a player, rather than as a virtual gateway drug.

What a farce.

Things can really look shitty when you're sick like a dog. Especially when the ARE shitty.

Well, maybe in a few weeks or so, they'll send me a nice, clean, WORKING Fuze, with V1 and so forth, and I'll be able to put Rockbox on it. But I'm not gonna get my hopes up.

Sorry for being long-winded. I know there are a few people who will find this of merit, and I just don't have the strength to post bits and pieces in a number of threads. I'm about ready to keel over just from typing this much. Head is swimming, feel like I'm drunk -- and I don't drink!

To you folks with Fuzes in good shape, non-V2, count your blessings!

Hopefully I'll be recovered enough to make some valid contributions to the forum at some point but it's apt to be a while. I really despise my lousy health.

Old 10-07-2009, 09:40 AM

Quote:
I do!...my Rockboxed v1....EVERY DAY!

Old 10-07-2009, 10:25 AM
Rockbox Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_k View Post
Hello from Hell.

[...]

Hopefully I'll be recovered enough to make some valid contributions to the forum at some point but it's apt to be a while. I really despise my lousy health.
I'm really curious as to what the point of your post is.

Old 10-07-2009, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_k View Post
Hello from Hell.

I have been sick like a dog (tried coming up for air a few times, but never had the strength to actually compose anything to post). Still not doing real well. No, not swine flu. Swine flu would be a step up from what I've been dealing with. Or so it feels.

Sorry for being long-winded. I know there are a few people who will find this of merit, and I just don't have the strength to post bits and pieces in a number of threads. I'm about ready to keel over just from typing this much. Head is swimming, feel like I'm drunk -- and I don't drink!

I feel you. I would happily trade my v1 for getting rid of my illness altogether though lol

Old 10-07-2009, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kugel View Post
I'm really curious as to what the point of your post is.
It was good hardware vs bad firmware vs very unlucky timing of hardware failure which will further complicate the firmware issues, combined with (what sounds to me like) chronic illness that meant he needed to get all of it written in one go before he ran out of spoons (or energy if you don't know the spoon theory). I understood it anyway.

Old 10-08-2009, 02:54 PM

Ok. I would like to try rockbox. Have been through this thread and on rockbox site and have see a couple different guides for installing. Saw one on youtube with dead links. However, each approach I took seemed to have something missing (like ah a file or two?). Only programming back ground I have is VB6 some time ago. I seem to find fragmented info and dead links on where files reside. Can get .rockbox from rockbox site but then I appear to need fuza.bin and stuff, which I can't find. Can some do a guide for the Fuze V1 with most recent files/locations on the procedure (like a procedure for morons). After all, stupid people like music and bells and whistles and ice cream too.
Thanks in advance.

Old 10-08-2009, 03:09 PM

http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/RockboxUtility will probably be the best solution for you. fuzea.bin is just the original firmware from sandisk (renamed).

Old 10-08-2009, 04:46 PM

Nena, I didn't think that utility was for the Fuze (thinking Fuze not supported yet?)...I am guessing I am wrong then? Didn't want to try it. But OK I think I got it now. Really hard to find fuza.bin file but I got it. Will play with it tonight and see how it goes. Thanks for help.

Old 10-08-2009, 04:51 PM
Ultra Senior Member

If you would have read the relevant Rockbox wiki page (simply by clicking on the prominent Fuze link on the Rockbox front page), you would know how it works: http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SansaAMS...nstable_e200v2

Old 10-08-2009, 07:13 PM

how to know if fuze is v1 or v2 without opening the box?
Koss Porta Pro 25th Anniversary Edition
Sennheiser MX471

Old 10-08-2009, 07:15 PM
Ultra Senior Member

You don't - you have to look at the firmware version in the menu.

Old 10-09-2009, 11:20 AM

I just rbxed my v1 and I now have 2 music folders one named "##music#" and "music" should I have both and can I get rid of one? Also, can you use the voice applications on the fuse? Thanks for any help.

Old 10-09-2009, 11:33 AM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Those are actually part of the original firmware, but I think it hides them in USB mode somehow (or maybe Windows just doesn't show them due to the odd names). I think if you delete them it will simply recreate them on the next boot.

Old 10-09-2009, 08:48 PM

Rockboxed my V1. Like the many controls over music quality and ability of apps. Like flexability of themes, able to dual boot, etc. Only hope for ability to make playlists on pc and load them to player. Haven't quite figured out the playlist issue yet (read manual for the 200). I tried to create a playlist but could not figure how to enter the list name after editing it, and could not figure how to make one from individual songs from different folders. That said, need more time to play with it, only 'boxed' it last night. Great going for the contriduters - good job. Overall impressed. Thanks

Old 10-10-2009, 05:23 PM

Quick question (that may or may not have been answered among the pages and pages); is Rockbox just a different operating system loaded on the Fuze's hardware?

Old 10-10-2009, 05:29 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesFX View Post
Quick question (that may or may not have been answered among the pages and pages); is Rockbox just a different operating system loaded on the Fuze's hardware?
It's an alternative firmware (aka operating system), yes - but you might drop the "just" part from your sentence, since it has tons more features and is way better in general - http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/WhyRockbox

Old 10-10-2009, 05:41 PM

Well....looking over the full feature comparison list......I suppose the only thing I care about is the video format support. But then, I don't really use my Fuze to watch video...

Another question, does it allow for louder volumes? I understand what it means by higher-resolution volume control, but separate (or inclusive, if I'm mistaken) from that, could it be made to be louder?

Old 10-10-2009, 07:51 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesFX View Post
Well....looking over the full feature comparison list......I suppose the only thing I care about is the video format support. But then, I don't really use my Fuze to watch video...

Another question, does it allow for louder volumes? I understand what it means by higher-resolution volume control, but separate (or inclusive, if I'm mistaken) from that, could it be made to be louder?
No. The hardware maximum volume is the hardware maximum volume. Sounds like Rockbox "just" isn't for you...

Old 10-11-2009, 07:36 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Not that it's recommended for most applications, but Rockbox can overdrive the Fuze's amp to ca. twice the perceived volume level. For Rockbox, volume level 0(dB) is the amp's headroom (should be the same as the stock firmware's maximum), and +6(dB)... goes to 11. Of course you'll get increased distortion that way.