android
Old 09-27-2009, 03:30 PM

Default Random play

The only way that I've managed to activate random (shuffle) is to go to the Browser and select a song. This seems awkward - can't I just turn it on while I have an album selected in music?

Thanks

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-27-2009, 03:43 PM

Read about setting the boundary, page 21 manual

Quote:
Sets the playback boundary.
: Sets the playback to the files in all folders.
: Sets the playback to the files in the current video folder.
: Sets the playback only to the currently selected file.
Edit: http://www.cowonglobal.com/download/...nual_1.2EN.pdf

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 09-27-2009, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
Thanks WalkGood, yes I did set Random for all files, but it still won't shift from the album I'm currently listening to. It just plays the tracks from that album randomly. Interestingly I noticed that even without radom selected (and all files selected) it just repeats the same album when I get to the end.

Last edited by pmun; 09-29-2009 at 06:00 AM.

Old 09-27-2009, 04:30 PM

Strange, works fine on other cowon players, I don't have the s9 but I figured it was the boundary. Aside from that I don't know, other than iirc it works better in folder mode vs music mode.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 09-27-2009, 05:46 PM

I have no problem using shuffle/random play. It randomly plays everything from all my "music" dir.
Try this. Set the boundary thing to: repeat (the circle with arrows) - Shuffle - and "All".
Then browse all the way out to the root dir (use the arrow that points left then up). Then go folders>music> select any dir and then any music file. This avoids using the S9's library/database. (at least I think it does :P)

I use it that way and never had any problem.

Old 09-28-2009, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
And note the same applies to the Music Mode on page 19.

Old 09-28-2009, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trent25 View Post
Try this. Set the boundary thing to: repeat (the circle with arrows) - Shuffle - and "All".
Then browse all the way out to the root dir (use the arrow that points left then up). Then go folders>music> select any dir and then any music file. This avoids using the S9's library/database. (at least I think it does :P)

I use it that way and never had any problem.
Yes, thanks Trent25, it does work that way, but I just want to activate it without having to come out of music mode and into file mode then selecting a song from file. I just want to activate it while an album is playing, I can't see why it can't carry out that simple instruction??

After all it allows you to select the boundry and random play during playback of an album, so why doesn't it work

Old 09-29-2009, 03:22 AM

I always use my player running out of "folders", so I never ran across this.
But I just tried it starting from album, artist, year, and genre, and this problem seems to be there in all of them. And your right it seems to me like it's the wrong behavior after you select "All" in the boundary settings. Effectively selecting "Folder" or "All" has the same effect when in Library/Database mode.
By the way the problem is there even if you're not using shuffle.

I would imagine this would qualify as a firmware bug. I think you should report it, hopefully it gets fixed in the next update.
Check submitted bugs and submit your own here.

Last edited by trent25; 09-29-2009 at 03:27 AM.

Old 09-29-2009, 04:08 AM

Thanks for checking trent25 - appreciate it. Out of interest why do you use the device from file mode? I find music mode much clearer because it has the album art available (horizonatal) so I can quickly select an album.

Old 09-29-2009, 06:13 AM

I guess it's mostly because of habit from before I got the S9. My directories are named "artist-album" so it's not difficult to find what I'm looking for.

Old 10-04-2009, 07:14 PM

I don't have a problem with shuffle at all. It works as it should.

Boundaries work either in folders or the library (tags).

Folders as previously described should work. Shuffling will be determined by the folder structure. The higher in the directory tree, the more songs shuffled. As you navigate down, you limit the boundary. e.g. You have your top 100 songs in a folder, but underneath, each set of 10 is ranked within the 10 subfolders. At the 100 folder you could shuffle 100 songs, but, if you go to the 51 to 60 subfolder you would shuffle just 10 songs.

If you navigate to "songs" every song is shuffled.
If you are in "artist" every song by the artist is shuffled.
Genre is another possibility.

Here's me question though. Within the library, the songs are organized by ID tagging. Are there standard tags that determine the library structure, or is it organized by ID tag data that has been passed along with the music file? e.g. If I add a new file with a new ID tag category, will it be added to the library as new category? I suppose I could just go ahead and figure this out by myself, but, I figured someone all ready figured it out all ready.