android
Old 09-13-2009, 11:21 AM

Default Getting frustrated with the D2...

And there's only one reason for this: the UI is complete BS. Absolutely horrible.

Everything works fine, the player sounds amazing, it's not too big for my needs though I do prefer thinner sizes... but that user interface... not cool.

Now of course with the crisis it looks like it's been money wasted. I'm back to using my Sony A729 for everyday use, with the Clip as backup. The Sony cost me half as much as the Cowon though doesn't sound that good, sadly enough...

So yeah... hopefully it'll go soon and I can recoup some of the money. I'll never get any of the time invested back into it though. I can keep it too but the Sony does essentially the same things, and it's a lot easier to use.

It's a GREAT sounding player. It's fun to tweak around. It's decently priced. It looks good. The screen is great. But it's just too frustrating to use. I don't get why Cowon can get away with this. As a marketer it scares me. I guess the market is different in Korea and people who favor sound quality don't mind as much...

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-13-2009, 11:44 AM
Banned

I got fed up with the D2 in about 2 weeks and eventually gave it away to a family member.

Old 09-13-2009, 02:08 PM

I find the UI annoying but not that big an obstacle since I spend more time listening to it than messing with the UI. Sooner or later Rockbox will be working well enough to replace the factory UI and then I'll switch.

Old 09-13-2009, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamnine View Post
I got fed up with the D2 in about 2 weeks and eventually gave it away to a family member.
I already gave my Zen to my dad, my Zen Stone to my wee sis... I feel bad enough

I also usually have it just on... but I'm a tinkerer and I enjoy, quite often, being able to play just the one playing artist for instance, then go back to all random shuffling. This was VERY easily done with the Zen (button for random shuffle all, and you could select the now playing artist), quite easily with the Sony (can select all songs by the artist now playing) but very frustrating with the D2+. Options like 'boundary' don't actually do much that's consistent and you can't select the artist from the now playing menu using the touchscreen.

They released a touch screen player but without most of the benefits that it could have benefitted from.

Thank Zeus it sounds incredible. I'm also holding out for Rockbox if no one buys it before that. I really hope it'll be manageable then, I never tried Rockbox...

Old 09-13-2009, 09:09 PM

I Love the UI. don't get what the problem is. only took me 5min. to get use to.

Old 09-13-2009, 10:10 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The UI is pretty stupid.

You could try some of the custom skins that people have made.

Go to iaudiophile.com,they have a pretty big archive of D2 flash skins.

Old 09-14-2009, 06:56 PM

hmm sad to hear that, liking/disliking the UI depends on what kind of function you want. I guess its not working for you, but works PERFECTLY for me. My primary concern is responsiveness, and I am extremely happy with the ultra first response, no delay at all. I am used to a bit more of maneuvering to get one thing done, don't mind that at all.

Old 09-14-2009, 07:02 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I liked the D2 as long as I had it, my new S9 is quite a bit less responsive due to Flash (but a better player overall). Usability was just fine for me on the D2. You should try the O2 in comparison - that one is a real nightmare to use.

Old 09-18-2009, 05:01 AM

I also hated the D2's interface. Whats up with Play/Pause being right in front of the track info?!?! So dumb...

Anyways, I got my D2 from amazon and it broke so I'm trying (unsuccesfully) to find RMA info for Amazon. In the mean time, before I even have hope of getting my money back in some way, I bought the Spinn. Had a clix2 before and LOVED it, so if the Spinn doesn't work out, then back to a Clix2.

Old 09-19-2009, 12:01 PM

for those complaining about the now playing screen, just install a flash skin, there's plenty of good ones over at iaudiophile.com Then again you have to be using 3.xx firmware for that.

Old 09-20-2009, 06:11 PM

x2 on the Flash skin if you have the 3.xx firmware, as it almost makes it a different player. And there are so many themes out there to choose from, as well.

I recall being somewhat annoyed with the UI, when I first got my D2. But, once I started fiddling with themes and skins, I managed to make it much more usable.

Old 09-27-2009, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
And there's only one reason for this: the UI is complete BS. Absolutely horrible.

Everything works fine, the player sounds amazing, it's not too big for my needs though I do prefer thinner sizes... but that user interface... not cool.

Now of course with the crisis it looks like it's been money wasted. I'm back to using my Sony A729 for everyday use, with the Clip as backup. The Sony cost me half as much as the Cowon though doesn't sound that good, sadly enough...

So yeah... hopefully it'll go soon and I can recoup some of the money. I'll never get any of the time invested back into it though. I can keep it too but the Sony does essentially the same things, and it's a lot easier to use.

It's a GREAT sounding player. It's fun to tweak around. It's decently priced. It looks good. The screen is great. But it's just too frustrating to use. I don't get why Cowon can get away with this. As a marketer it scares me. I guess the market is different in Korea and people who favor sound quality don't mind as much...
..eh its the d2 dood its like....old
the hole point in abi is to give people the chance to see what the other choices are... so i use this site and use "you toob" to see how the ui works..
so before i paid $299 aus for a d2 16gb... i studied the player for a long time because i knew this player was the one for me... i use more mono by DFKT.. flawless

i wouldn't expect a hummer to have the same steering as a supercar..!

and yes the ui may be bland but it works fine..... and to top it off i can change the eq setting just off nowplaying insted of... pressing back back back etc etc

this isnt a rant..!
i have major tooth ach!

Old 09-27-2009, 09:31 AM

I don't mind the player itself. It sounds incredible, was well enough priced. But the GUI simply makes no sense at times. To be honest I didn't need the D2 since my Sony A729 can do everything the D2 can, and easier. But the D2 is a fun player nonetheless with great battery and incredible sound, regardless of its faults.
I chose this player because I disovered it through ABI. I knew about the UI being bad. I didn't realise I was going to care so much however. Normally I just stick all the songs on shuffle and skip/fast forward. For this it works fine. For anything else however...

Anyway I installed Rockbox on it and I'm liking it. A lot more possibilities, and it took a few minutes to set up but now it's all good and running. You give up the BBE+ but it still sounds pretty damn good.

Old 09-27-2009, 10:10 AM

i have rockbox too.. its cool but the touch screen go's off after 2mins..lol
and i have to use the top buttons to work it...pain in the arse

i just wish cowon would update the s9 with a micro sd slot and in sold!

Old 09-27-2009, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
That's incorrect! The interface on the D2 isn't absolutely horrible. It was carefully designed and it works the way it's supposed to work and quite a lot of people like it.

It may not be to your taste. It's not possible to please everyone. I prefer smooth peanut butter and my sister will only eat crunchy. I like both, actually, but I prefer the smooth. That doesn't mean that either type of peanut butter or my sister are absolutely horrible. Well, at least not the peanut butter.

Barry

Old 09-28-2009, 02:30 PM

Well I would hope nobody on here would need a talk on subjectivity vs objectivity but unfortunately for having been on online forums for way too long I know how you feel ...

However let me assure you that what I am talking about doesn't just reflect my own feelings. It's purely rational. I'm a musician and just as well placed as anyone else to know what everyone hears, feels, tastes different and may have different opinions. And I don't really care, they're entitled to it and so am I.

The interface barely makes any sense. That's how it is. I still haven't figured out all the weird quirks.
For instance... pressing fast forward ignores the Folder settings. Why? If I want to select all songs in a particular album or by a particular artist, wouldn't I sometimes want to skip past one or go back one..? Well that's not working.
I honestly don't know why it's that way. Some people may like it and kudos to them. I don't mind nor do I care.

The D2 is a great little player, I love mine. The sound is incredible. The screen is stunning. And with Rockbox it's even more potent though I do lose the BBE+ effects.

But the interface is having me at lost a lot of the time.

Old 10-04-2009, 03:46 PM

If you don't like the interface then you just don't. I have no argument.

I think the interface is pretty good but if I didn't like it it wouldn't matter much to me as long as I found it easy to do the things I do with the player. Beyond that it doesn't really matter to me. I don't think I've ever bothered to learn all the quirks of any player. I just learn to do the things with it that I want to do.

I have used a couple of players with interfaces I didn't like. The prime example of that is the Creative Zen Xtra. Like the rest it would do what I wanted it to do but it was hard to remember how to do those things from one session to the next. Still, I liked the player and the interface was just a minor issue to me.

I still use an Iriver e100. I have some video lectures on it and I watch one or two most days. I have to figure out how to use that silly thing every time. I don't really care. It does what I want and it just takes a little extra thought.

I also have a tiny Coby player, 512 meg, with 2 speakers even though the whole thing is tiny. I could fit a dozen of them in a shirt pocket and they wouldn't be crowded. It's interface is really, really bad. I keep some old time radio shows on it and thoroughly enjoy it.

Barry

Old 10-04-2009, 04:23 PM

Aye in the end that's the problem I have with the D2, I can't do the things I want to do with it. And since they're very simple things I would have expected it to.

It's just little quirks I guess. The weird, weird browsing system from the now playing screen. The 'play' button being right in front of the song's name etc...

It's a nice player. Sounds incredible. I prefer the sound to my Sony A729. But the Sony is just 100% what I need on browsing and STILL sounds incredible... And I paid 70 pounds for it brand new Which makes the D2+ with half the storage a bit expensive and a frustrating luxury.