android
Old 08-15-2009, 11:20 PM

Default Is D2+ Really Usable in MSC Mode?

I really love my D2+ but, I question whether one of its major selling points for me, its use of the MSC mode rather than MTP mode, is really usable. Whenever, I try to use the MSC mode on my D2+ I get the strange behavior discussed in this thread: http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=38212. On the player itself many folders and albums don't show up, or the same one shows up a million times. This is true even though Windows Explorer (or a substitute for it) shows the correct folder structure on the device which is read as an external usb drive. Before I found the above thread, I thought it was a hardware defect and sent my unit back for replacement, but the new unit has exactly the same problem. I don't have the problem if I set the USB interface of the D2+ to MTP and load my albums onto it using Media Jukebox. On the second unit the MSC folder/album problem didn't show up until I loaded folders 100 to 162 onto the unit, so maybe the unit can't handle more than 100 or so folders in the MSC mode in its internal memory. In any event, the unit is pretty much useless to me if I want to use in in MSC mode. That's a shame because I, like 3/4 of forum members responding to a poll thread prefer MSC mode to MTP mode. I guess, unless anyone has a solution, I'll just have to live with unit with its internal memory in MTP mode. I find that regrettable.

Last edited by profhsg; 08-15-2009 at 11:21 PM. Reason: Typo in title

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-15-2009, 11:52 PM
ABI Invaluable

Quote:
Originally Posted by profhsg View Post
... ... I guess, unless anyone has a solution, I'll just have to live with unit with its internal memory in MTP mode. I find that regrettable.
Did you try the solution that dfkt posted in the thread you refer to? Seems to have worked for him and others, I don't have the d2, rather the i7 and msc mode works great on it.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 08-16-2009, 12:06 PM

Default Is the D2+ Really Usable in the MSC Mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
Did you try the solution that dfkt posted in the thread you refer to? Seems to have worked for him and others, I don't have the d2, rather the i7 and msc mode works great on it.
Tried the fix this morning. Unfortunately, same old problem. As much as I like the D2+, I'm returning it because if it can't work properly in the MSC mode, (the MSC mode was one of the major attractions for me of the unit) it's defective. Might as well have something like the new Sony S series 16gb as long as I'm stuck with an MTP device (gotten good reviews on sound quality and interface simplicity--is actually slightly cheaper--no FLAC support--no expansion or AC adapter at present--oh well, can't have everything).

Old 08-17-2009, 02:32 PM

I use D2 in MSC mode, and it works fine after using the fix I described in this thread. http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=46018

Trying "cleaning" your file names and see if it helps. Since doing this with all files I copy to the D2, this problem does not seem to have reoccurred for me.

Old 09-15-2009, 06:16 PM

Congratulations, now you know why I hate my D2. I've had mine since the beginning of the year and would use it constantly but I would run into problems like this. The only way to get around it is to clear the internal memory or take that Panasonic card formatter and format the internal memory. It will only fix it temporarily though and you will have to do it again from either immediately or a couple weeks depending on how often you load, delete stuff and swap out the cards. I will never buy a Cowon product again! What a nightmare!

There is nothing wrong with your files or anything, the truth is that some people don't want to admit is the Cowon D2 is junk and Cowon doesn't know how or care to fix it.

Old 09-15-2009, 06:32 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I never used any player in MTP mode ever, especially not the D2. I rather gouge my eyes out before trying that.

Old 09-22-2009, 12:28 PM
Ultra Senior Member

"I never used any player in MTP mode ever"

Can the newer Sony models be forced to connect in MSC, or do you just avoid them?

Old 09-22-2009, 12:39 PM
Ultra Senior Member

There's unfortunately no user-selectable transfer mode on the Sonys, like on the Sansas or Cowons. They fall back to MSC on OS X and *nix, but on Windows with WMP junkware installed you're outta luck.

Old 10-02-2009, 02:38 PM

Default not really out of junk

actually u can force sony players to work as msc
all u have to do is to go to system settings,hardware , find mtp device and reinstall driver. when u do it , then somewhere in the midle of proccess os an option to select driver manually.and there should be msc driver.it works. i tested.when u start player when u inplug it from usb , it will take like 30 sec for start due to msc and database update, but once done , the second start is fast.