android
Old 08-08-2009, 05:42 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Default Is a Zii "too much"?

I know with every great player there are some who wish there were more features. WiFi is wished for if the screen is big enough to handle a browsing experience. Or if Bluetooth is there, we'll want file transfer and game play over it.

The Zii seems to have very bit of hardware anyone here has wished for. So it at least has potential. I'm just wondering if it's got too much.

Camera(s), for example. I've only used the camera on my Samsung Instinct phone once, and that ws a desperation moment when there wasn't a more conventional digital camera around. The Latte iVu has a camera, but it's of such low quality I would have preferred the price been lower and the camera left out. The Zii has TWO cameras, but neither with exceptional optics. I don't think there's a flash for the backside one. The backside one supposedly records HD video, so the sensor might be decent, but I doub't it'll do better than a dedicated FLIP HD camera.

What do you think? Do you seriously think you'll use every feature a Zii has, or would you rather see it trimmed down in price with a few features left off?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-08-2009, 05:44 PM
Banned

I'm getting more and more into minimalist features. The P3 has too much going on, in my opinion, and battery life takes a hit.

I'd like to see more players with fewer features but excellent SQ. Edit: Don't care about the Zii.

Last edited by Dreamnine; 08-08-2009 at 05:59 PM.

Old 08-08-2009, 06:58 PM

I'm a huge fan of having a bunch of features in a single device as I already use most of what the Zii offers with my cell phone.

Wi-Fi - Even though the browser on my phone isn't too good and the screen is small I still use it to check out web pages maybe once every two weeks or so. I suspect I would use a device with a better browser and bigger screen all the time, probably every day.

Bluetooth - I find it very convenient to listen to my phone through the Bluetooth built into the audio system in my car. I just with Nokia's music player didn't suck so much. I've been a fan of Creative's music-playing UI for many years. I look forward to using the Zii to play music in my car.

GPS - I don't get a whole lot of use out of this. I don't travel into unknown areas very often though. On the rare occasion that I do need/want to use a mapping application it's been nice that it's there.

Accelerometer - My phone doesn't implement the accelerometer for much other than storing pictures with the proper orientation. I look forward to being able to switch between widescreen and "tallscreen" without having to manually slide the screen back and forth.

Rear camera - I would say 1.3 MP is too low. But, maybe Creative is super smart and innovative and is putting a very good, albeit low resolution camera instead of a crappy, high resolution camera. If the 720p video looks good I'm sure I'll get a lot of use out of it.

Front camera - This is one thing I haven't used a single time on my existing phone. I suppose it would be pretty darn cool to do video calls through Skype.

What else is there..?

256 mb of RAM - I would say that this pretty much guarantees the Zii will allow multitasking. That'll be nice as I don't want to have to close the web browser if I want to take a quick picture. Or maybe a better example: I don't want to have to close the camera app so that I can open the photo viewer app.

Decent resolution screen - Who could complain about that? 480x320 might be about perfect for this size screen.

32 gb internal storage AND a full size SDHC slot - awesome! Well, awesome as long as accessing the slot isn't as much of a pain in the ass as it is with the X-Fi. I have faith Creative will "get it right" this time.

Video out - This could be very cool! I've never had a device that both had video out AND had decent codec support so I don't have any personal experience in this area.

Video in(!) - Hmmm... I honestly can't think of a viable purpose for this. IMO DVR + PMP don't mix. -- imagine how long that sentence would have been if I spelled out each word!

Ambient light sensor - "meh"

One last thing...
Mini USB and proprietary port - the best of both worlds.

Last edited by Hirudin; 08-08-2009 at 07:19 PM.

Old 08-08-2009, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hirudin View Post
I'm a huge fan of having a bunch of features in a single device as I already use most of what the Zii offers with my cell phone.

Wi-Fi - Even though the browser on my phone isn't too good and the screen is small I still use it to check out web pages maybe once every two weeks or so. I suspect I would use a device with a better browser and bigger screen all the time, probably every day.

Bluetooth - I find it very convenient to listen to my phone through the Bluetooth built into the audio system in my car. I just with Nokia's music player didn't suck so much. I've been a fan of Creative's music-playing UI for many years. I look forward to using the Zii to play music in my car.

GPS - I don't get a whole lot of use out of this. I don't travel into unknown areas very often though. On the rare occasion that I do need/want to use a mapping application it's been nice that it's there.

Accelerometer - My phone doesn't implement the accelerometer for much other than storing pictures with the proper orientation. I look forward to being able to switch between widescreen and "tallscreen" without having to manually slide the screen back and forth.

Rear camera - I would say 1.3 MP is too low. But, maybe Creative is super smart and innovative and is putting a very good, albeit low resolution camera instead of a crappy, high resolution camera. If the 720p video looks good I'm sure I'll get a lot of use out of it.

Front camera - This is one thing I haven't used a single time on my existing phone. I suppose it would be pretty darn cool to do video calls through Skype.

What else is there..?

256 mb of RAM - I would say that this pretty much guarantees the Zii will allow multitasking. That'll be nice as I don't want to have to close the web browser if I want to take a quick picture. Or maybe a better example: I don't want to have to close the camera app so that I can open the photo viewer app.

Decent resolution screen - Who could complain about that? 480x320 might be about perfect for this size screen.

32 gb internal storage AND a full size SDHC slot - awesome! Well, awesome as long as accessing the slot isn't as much of a pain in the ass as it is with the X-Fi. I have faith Creative will "get it right" this time.

Video out - This could be very cool! I've never had a device that both had video out AND had decent codec support so I don't have any personal experience in this area.

Video in(!) - Hmmm... I honestly can't think of a viable purpose for this. IMO DVR + PMP don't mix. -- imagine how long that sentence would have been if I spelled out each word!

Ambient light sensor - "meh"

One last thing...
Mini USB and proprietary port - the best of both worlds.
You summed up my thoughts exactly! I'm stoked for the Zii, If I got the cash for it I'll be one of the first buyers!

Old 08-08-2009, 09:51 PM

Is anyone else reminded of a smart-phone without the phone feature?

Because that's exactly what I'm reminded of!

I do agree with you olley, this thing has got to many feature for its own good. Thats why they probably are releasing it as like an SDK thing
Or this: A glossary for newbies
-Stuart, Twitter

Old 08-08-2009, 11:25 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I love devices with multiple features since it means less things to carry, but I'm also hesitant to buy those devices because they usually suck at something.

If the Zii can pull off all of its claimed features WELL, then it's definitely on my list.

If it can't, then i wouldn't bother...

Old 08-09-2009, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by copeys View Post
Is anyone else reminded of a smart-phone without the phone feature?
Nokia N800/N810 much?

Old 08-09-2009, 04:45 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiouswonderer View Post
If the Zii can pull off all of its claimed features WELL, then it's definitely on my list.
Yes. "Well" is the hard part. Even the new Sony Touchscreen fails to do everything well. It's photo app doesn't zoom or rotate. It's web browser doesn't have a qwerty keyboard or full web page support. Music is great, but video is crippled by having only one codec it can play at full screen resolution, and it won't play anything that's a pixel larger (or more) than that cheap 3" 432 x 240 screen they included. The $149 Samsung P3 has a 3" screen with 480 x 272 resolution.

Old 08-09-2009, 02:56 PM
Banned

This device is stocked...hope creative doesn't goes wrong with the firmware, release and price range.

Old 08-09-2009, 05:34 PM
Ultra Senior Member

It's hard to know what they'll sell it for. $399 is where the 32gb Touch and Sony Z are hovering and you get a 32gb Zii Egg PLUS the SDK for the same amount. Either the SDK is worth nothing, or they can sell a 32gb retail Zii for less than $400. No OLED screen, so it might be cheaper than anything with OLED. The radios (bluetooth, wifi, fm, GPS) are essentially one chip. G-sensor appears to be a cheap chip too these days. If everything they use inside are common components, then it might be as cheap as $299 for a 32gb version.

Old 08-21-2009, 04:10 PM

Damn I need all my money for a computer Can't wait to get a Zii afterwards though

Old 08-21-2009, 05:23 PM

Whenever there is 'something new' (and I am talking throughout recorded history here) the first product will show this 'something new' to its maximum effect. Whenever something new comes along it always has a high price, that way the rich/powerfull get it first......so it dosen't matter if a product does X, Y and Z when the majority would be happy with X.

Take Iron for example......in ancient times bronze used to be the thing to have. Then along came iron........but iron was harder to produce so it was more expensive, so it was only the select few that had access to it.....but did they use it to produce better weapons.......well yes.....but they used it to produce jewellery so they could show off to prove they where top dogs.....of course they could also whip the arses off people who couldn't afford iron as their swords were better.

so to answer the question....no its not too much, its just something you have to put up with till the 'something new' filters down to the majority
Zen X-Fi 16Gb hold switch wifi
Sansa Fuze all good so far

Old 08-21-2009, 05:24 PM

The only thing I don't understand is the way they're releasing it as an ODM product for other companies to put their name on. I think it would be better to release it as a full-fledged creative product

Old 08-25-2009, 03:46 PM

Not hardly. Since I don't have or plan on getting a fancy phone with all the features the Zii has, it would be perfect for me. As long as the SQ is good as well.

Old 08-27-2009, 10:11 AM

im stoked about android and the android apps....

Old 10-01-2009, 10:26 AM

It might...can't say anything cause it's not like I own one, but the camera's a nice extra that I'd certainly use.

But if it tries to cram all this wifi and GPS stuff into it then no thanks. It's there to be a media player, not a mini computer. The camera's as far as I'll go.

Old 10-01-2009, 10:33 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Actually, they are hyping it as a portable stemcell computing platform. I honestly expect to see keyboard and mouse support via bluetooth, google apps running on it, with media play almost the forgotten feature.

Old 10-01-2009, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olley View Post
Actually, they are hyping it as a portable stemcell computing platform. I honestly expect to see keyboard and mouse support via bluetooth, google apps running on it, with media play almost the forgotten feature.
1. Bluetooth keyboard and mouse support arent supported by android and isnt planned for anytime soon.

2. Google apps and the Android Market will never come to the Zii. They only are licensed to Google Experience phones. Why would Google even care about the Zii Egg?

Old 10-01-2009, 08:03 PM

The google apk files are already being tested on the archos android (not a certified android device). Most of them work so far. Just a download and double click. A few have trouble with the res but I believe that there will be a work around soon. Also android 1.6 should have better high resolution support. Not that any of that affects the zii since its already at the right resolution.

I guess All I'm saying is that There is a very good chance that the adroid apk files will work just fine.

Old 10-01-2009, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RioT View Post
The google apk files are already being tested on the archos android (not a certified android device). Most of them work so far. Just a download and double click. A few have trouble with the res but I believe that there will be a work around soon. Also android 1.6 should have better high resolution support. Not that any of that affects the zii since its already at the right resolution.

I guess All I'm saying is that There is a very good chance that the adroid apk files will work just fine.
Yeah, they'll probably work, but, not officially/legally. Also, there is basically no chance that the Market apk will be able to run on the Zii. So, we'll be limited to 3rd party markets and/or piracy...