android
Old 09-18-2009, 09:24 AM

Default Portable amp for K701

Hi everybody,

I recently bought AKG K701. My IAudio7 drive them at an acceptable level, but I know these cans need a lot of current to deliver the sound they are capable to deliver. Unfortunately my Fiio5 adds nothing to the sound. Is there any portable amp suitable to the task? I read about the Mini3... according to you may it be a good choice? Or maybe the Headsix?
Or simply I should go for a desktop amp?

Thanks a lot for your help

P.

Last edited by Pinguino; 09-18-2009 at 09:29 AM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-18-2009, 10:32 AM

Something like the Corda Headsix/XXS or 2/3Move should drive the K701 just fine. Those amps are a bargain, considering their build- and sound quality.

If you want more power (but much inferior build quality), the Minibox-E+ is extremely powerful. If you want to spend more money, look at any Ray Samuels or Headamp product.

Old 09-19-2009, 07:29 AM

Thanks dfkt. I'm going with a Headsix. I'm a afraid the crossfeed filter of the Move could add some artificiality to the sound.

Old 09-19-2009, 09:53 AM

Well, the crossfeed can be turned off if you don't want to use it. The 3Move is bigger and less portable - but it can also be used as an USB sound card. The Headsix is a "pure" portable amp. Enjoy, I like my Headsix a lot.

Old 09-19-2009, 10:13 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Headsix is not (In my oppinion) enough to drive the K701's. I've tried using my 2Move in low currant mode with a set of K701's, not very pleasant. The 2Move in high currant mode, and its all up to weather or not you like the K701 sound.

I think you would need atleast a Little Dot MK I to power a set of K701's portably, I say the little dot MK1 instead of the 3Move, because the little dot is about half the price of the 3Move. I think its the cheapest portable amp that can output the necessary 18v needed to drive these big, 300ohm phones.

Last edited by Jack4L; 09-19-2009 at 10:21 AM.

Old 09-19-2009, 10:20 AM

The K701 are 62 Ohm, not 300, you're probably thinking about the HD600/650?

The Headsix drives them just fine, in my opinion. I tested the K701 on my Headsix (high gain) vs. my Woo6 some time ago. Results were pleasing (if you like the K701 sound).

Old 09-19-2009, 10:30 AM

lol, you beat me to it dfkt. Rated impedance is 62 ohms.
Quote:
AKG K 701 Ultra Reference Class Stereo Headphone Specifications:

System: dynamic
Design: circumaural, open
Audio bandwidth: 10—39,800Hz
Efficiency: 105dB SPL/V
Max. input power: 200mW
Rated impedance: 62 ohms
Weight (without cable): 235 g (8.3 oz.)
Cable: bi-wiring, 99.99% OFC, 3m (10 ft.)
Stereo adapter: 6.3/3.5mm (1/4"' to 1/8"')
IMHO these should sound fine without an amp on the i7, but an amp would give you the extra power you may be looking for. Also, I can't really see using these outside the home, so a desktop amp might be nicer.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 09-19-2009, 10:50 AM

The reason I even had the K701 for a test is because some member of the iAudiophile forums came over to my place, to test his K701 and D2 with some amps. The AKGs really didn't sound anything great straight out of his D2, but once they were driven via either the Headsix or the Woo6 they sounded quite fine (as far as K701 go, for my taste ). Of course the D2 was still a bit of a bottleneck in that setup, but the 9V Headsix did its job well with the phones.

Considering the D2 should be pretty similar to the i7, the K701 would certainly benefit from an amp in that case.

Old 09-19-2009, 11:07 AM

Makes sense dfkt, it's been a long time since I listened to them and it was via a headphone amp.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 09-19-2009, 02:06 PM
Ultra Senior Member

So your saying, they are easier to drive then your HD650's? Because thats exactly the opposite of what I get with my 2Move :/