android
Old 12-02-2008, 01:41 PM
Contributing Editor

Default Sony MDR NC60 review

This is my review on Sony's mid range noise cancelling headphones the MDR NC60. The retail price is $199 for these, however I found them on Amazon for $125 this summer.

Supplied:The headphones come with a soft leather case, it is not a pouch. There is enough room in the case for the headohones, a battery/cable pouch, a Fiio headphone amp, and an ipod sized mp3 player. They also come with an airplane adapter, and AAA battery. The package it came in was very easy to open, no scissors. It would be nice to have a hard case though.

Build Quality:These have a very nice feel to them. They are very sturdy. The leather on the top is very soft, but has been very durable. It still looks brand new. The finish on the cans are awesome, it is a black brushed metal on the outside with a piano black glossy finish on the sides of the cups. They are a very simple elegant design. Underneath the right earcup is a button to open the door on the battery. Under left earcup is the headphone input jack. On the back of the right side is the power switch, and on back of left side is the monitor button wich allows you to mute the music and hear the outside environment, ie flight attendant. I really do like the look of them though.

Performance:On to the fun stuff. These are very solid sounding headphones. They perform very well from Peter Frampton live, to The Knux, to Trace Adkins and NIN. These have a very nice warmth to the sound. The base is abundant, but not overwhelming. With the heavier base tracks, it can bleed a little at the highest (unlistenable) volumes. The mids were crisp and accurate while the highs are detailed. The headphones do a very good job with sound considering the Noice Cancelling feature.
With these heaphones, they can still play music with no battery or NC turned off. You will notice a decrease in the quality of sound. Its like the wind is taken out of them when NC is off. I do not understand that as it would be nice to have the same quality of sound when you dont need NC.
The noise cancelling does a great job though. There is a slight background hiss at the lowest volumes and when music is not playing. While the music is on however, it is unnoticeable. You can listen to your music in very loud and noisy environments. You can hear the higher pitched noises, but talking, plane engines and extra noise is very very hushed, almost non existent. While on bus rides with 25-30 people watching movies and on planes, you can close your eyes and forget where you are. Oh, and you get about 30-40 hours of battery life with one battery

Conclusion: Pretty solid overall headphones. Very warm, Great NC ability, good price. The downside is a little hiss at very low volumes, SQ is disappointing without NC feature on. These headphones are very comfortable. I have worn these on long trip for 5-10 hours and had no comfort issues whatsoever with them.

I bought these after buying a pair of Bose headphones and being very disappointed in them. Overall, I really like these Sony headphones. These might not satisfy the more extreme audiophiles out there, but everybody else will really like these noise cancelling headphones. With very vibrant sound, comfort, good looks, and a competitive price, you cant go wrong

Add:with NC disabled, I have found the quality of music to still be pretty solid. I would not put them into Sennheiser HD category, but paired with mu O2, these do sound strong. It just gets a lot quieter.

*if anyone has any thoughts on my review, please let me know. This was my first one, and I have gotten a lot of info from user reviews, so just trying to give back. Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MDR-NC60_swivel.jpg (31.5 KB, 38 views)

Last edited by kasrhp; 09-16-2009 at 12:40 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-08-2009, 12:27 PM
Contributing Editor

hope this came out ok

Last edited by kasrhp; 09-16-2009 at 12:38 PM.

Old 01-08-2009, 12:29 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Your review has over 300 views so far, I think that's a good sign. Congrats.

You know, people tend to post more when they disagree with something... don't worry about it.

Old 01-08-2009, 01:25 PM
ABI Invaluable

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasrhp View Post
Man, sorry for the bad review
Nice review and comes across as very honest, I enjoyed the read

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 01-08-2009, 11:31 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Gotta add here that I after having tried these on, and the BT brothers, they are really comfortable. The Bluetooth was really great too, coupled with a sony player naturally. Not so great coupled with my Omnia, or SE k550i. Almost made me want to buy into the sony bt player and headphone combo, but noticed the price, and didn't really think about it after that

Old 01-09-2009, 12:21 AM

kasrhp,

Nice info and you presented it in a practical and useful review format. All reviews are subjective... opinions, biases and perception being what they are. Great job at presenting the facts as you see them and especially on real world usage.

Old 01-09-2009, 12:10 PM
Contributing Editor

Thanks for the comments. I just wanted to throw something out there as I have learned a lot over the last couple of years reading user and expert reviews. Trying to give back a little.

Jak4l, they are very comfortable

Old 09-08-2009, 01:09 PM

Great review.
Just ordered them after reading this.

Old 09-16-2009, 12:38 PM
Contributing Editor

Good, you will be happy with them.