android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > SanDisk Sansa > Sansa Clip / Clip+ / Clip Zip

Old 09-13-2009, 05:06 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Unhappy Further Clip (not Clip+) firmware not under development; may change "as time permits"

Per SanDisk at the SanDisk Clip+ forum today:
All,

. . . At this time due to development targeted on the Clip+, firmware for the original Clip is not currently under development. This may change in the future as time permits. . . .

Forum Admin
slotmonsta
http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/boar...d.id=40&page=7

Bummer, real bummer. After almost 7 months since the last firmware upgrade.

With all due respect, SanDisk owes its consumers better. In my humble opinion.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-13-2009, 05:08 PM

Not sure what his position is with Sandisk, but we'll know when there's a new firmware - or when there isn't. Let's hope for the best.

(I couldn't care less about Sandisk's firmwares - if Rockbox would run stable without crashing.)

Old 09-13-2009, 05:19 PM
Ultra Senior Member

For all practical purposes, he/she is the voice of SanDisk at its forum.

Old 09-13-2009, 10:23 PM
Ultra Senior Member

That truly is a shame. I agree that Clip owners deserve better treatment, at least to bring the firmware of their players to the current state of the Fuze/Clip+ (adding folder browsing and Replay Gain, correcting the pitch issue, etc.)...

Old 09-13-2009, 11:28 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I'm not a software engineer, but would it really take that much time to port what was done with the Clip+ firmware (presumably based on the Clip's firmware) back to the Clip? Sigh. And it would generate so much goodwill with the, what, hundreds of thousands of users.

Old 09-13-2009, 11:40 PM

Rockbox keeps making progress though. Hopefully it will become solid enough to replace the original firmware once and for all.

Old 09-14-2009, 11:08 AM
Ultra Senior Member

It sounds like the Sandisk programmers are much too busy now. I wonder if some more new products are coming out before the end of the year, or if Sandisk wants to release a fimware update for the Clip+ pretty soon. There will be many angry people if Sandisk doesn't have one final firmware update for the Clip giving it folder browsing. My guess is they will have one, although it may not be before the end of the year.

Old 09-14-2009, 11:44 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Not to whine, but--it's been 7 months since the last firmware revision. Sigh.

Old 09-14-2009, 01:12 PM

Expect nothing and hopefully you’ll be pleasantly surprised. Not that I care, my clip runs rockbox and I’m happy. I’d rather see rockbox finalized and a port started for the “plus” model. Sure I read about complains of it crashing, but if you play full albums like I do, it never happens, unless you are playing games too and then only occasionally.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 09-14-2009, 09:11 PM
Ultra Senior Member

In response to the above SanDisk statement as to no current Clip firmware development, a participant in the SanDisk Sansa Clip forum started a fairly aggressive, but yet polite, thread warning people against purchasing a Clip and suggesting the return of recently-purchased Clips. That, in turn, has led to SanDisk to respond:
Please do not read things out of context and jump to conclusions. What was said is exactly what was meant Development may continue in the future as time permits. As I have said before I have engaged this issue with the Sansa Firmware developers team on behalf of all consumers. I am waiting to hear back if it is feasible to have a firmware release that would correct the Pitch issue and not impact other projects. Currently all developers are working on different projects however this does not mean that there will never be another update released for the original Clip.
Once I hear back from the development team I will update the forum.

Forum Admin
slotmonsta
http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/boar...hread.id=21124
<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td colspan="2" rowspan="1" class="msg_cell">
</td></tr><tr><td class="msg_date_cell" nowrap="nowrap" valign="bottom">
</td><td colspan="2" class="msg_rating_cell" nowrap="nowrap" valign="bottom">
</td></tr></tbody></table>

Old 09-14-2009, 10:02 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
(I couldn't care less about Sandisk's firmwares - if Rockbox would run stable without crashing.)
I spent Sunday working on this but didn't really get too far since I have no idea how rockbox playback actually works and the code is enormously long. But its definitely a bug in our playback engine and not specific to the clip. I can make it happen on the e200v1 if I use up enough RAM. Hopefully we'll get stable playback on the clip one of these days.

Tags
firmware, upgrade