android
Old 11-01-2008, 06:40 AM

Default Philips GoGear SA6145 review by A.A. Fussy

Philips GoGear SA6145 MP3/Video player

Price paid-on sale for $99 (was $250) at Domayne

Review:

Philips GoGear SA6145 is a 4GB MP3/video player with a impressive 3.5" screen and built-in speaker in a appealing black color with silver around the sides.

Design:

The SA6145 has volume buttons on the top, and a hold switch on the bottom.

There are separate menu and playlist buttons for creating playlists (without the need for software):the menu button above the main controls,playlist button on the right side.

You can use the playlist button for creating on-the-go playlists (without the need for software) when a song's selected in the music list screen.

A 4-way navigator is on the right with a on/off, play pause button in the middle.

The screen is very beautiful-3.5" and is QVGA.

2 full range speakers are built-in to the SA6145, with the speaker grilles visible on each side of the display.
Interface
Philip's GoGear interface is quite nice, with graphics reminiscent of iPods-all features are displayed as icons on the left, when you select a feature on the left a bigger version of the icon slides out and appears on the right.

The left and right buttons of the 4-way navigator move between menu screens-unconventional but quite easy to master.

One neat feature is SuperScroll-described by Philips as:
"Double action search keys allow easy speed control when scrolling through large libraries. You can choose to move through your playlist one song or video at a time or just press and hold down a little harder to SuperScroll swiftly to your desired file."

This makes scrolling through the song list very fast.

Music:

The SA6145 plays both unprotected (non-DRM) and DRM MP3/WMA music files-2 popular file formats for digital music.

Playback features are good-the basics of playing selecting songs is familar if you’ve used other players.

Information displayed is artist/album/song name and album art.

The song display looks a lot like the iPod's.

There's also a album art view:album covers in a grid like view.

Photos/Videos:

Photos are displayed in a grid view and are viewed in a landscape orientation,slideshow feature is basic but is effective in use.

When viewing photos you can use the up/down buttons to rotate the currently displayed image-a novel touch.

Video playback is good with smooth motion and frame rate at 30fps.

WMV movies can be transferred to the SA6145, other formats can be converted to WMV with the supplied Media Converter for Philips software.

Transfer and charging:

A standard mini-USB cable is used, with MTP support-Windows is the only OS supported officially by Philips-so you can use Windows Media Player.

It'll charge on other OS but won't appear in the Finder on Macs for instance.

There’s also a program called “Philips device manager + Philips Media converter” which can be downloaded from support.philips.com or installed from the supplied CD.

Philips device manager can be used to perform firmware updates or do a player recovery.

Sound Quality:

The SA6145's sound quality is excellent, with very nice sound reproduction across mids and highs there’s a good EQ selection-presets plus a customizable EQ.

The sound was amazing clear and all ranges and virtually distortion free.

The built-in speaker uses a Class D amplifier to produce very good sound-there's actually 2 full-range speaker drivers in the SA6145

Other:

You can listen to radio with 20 presets and voice recording. Auto tuning in radio presets is very quick.

Overall:

It’s a beautiful MP3/video player that can be enjoyed with headphones or using the integrated speaker.

For $100, I was quite impressed at the SA6145, especially for its large and vibrant 3.5" screen and built-in speakers

Photo:

Last edited by babya; 11-01-2008 at 07:44 AM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-01-2008, 06:47 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Like your review, and it answered the question of what size the screen is!!!

Old 11-01-2008, 07:40 AM

Thanks for the kind comment

Old 11-01-2008, 10:53 PM

Nice review, but how is the audio and build quality?
---------------- Now playing: David Holsinger - Abram's Pursuit via FoxyTunes

Old 11-02-2008, 01:17 AM

It's well-built and sounds very nice with good bass with the supplied Philips headphones-when using the built-in speakers only, the sound is very nice too.

One minor feature I'd like in a firmware updates is a way to delete FM radio presets-presently these can only be saved and not deleted

Last edited by babya; 11-02-2008 at 01:43 AM.

Old 11-25-2008, 10:44 PM

can you overwrite the radio presets or are they just adding in the list until its full? (that would be a pain)

Old 12-20-2008, 04:03 AM

You can overwrite the radio presets.

Old 12-20-2008, 10:58 AM

Very nice review, I've been looking at these and will go to the store to play with one .

Now from the sounds of it, it only has MPT support, no MSC (mounting like a flash drive)?

Old 12-22-2008, 03:19 AM

Nice Review.. got a question though.. u said the screen was beautiful.. is the colours accurate cuz I want this before and I was kinda disappointed with the colour of the screen... Blacks are violet... Or maybe the unit I saw was defective?

Old 01-15-2009, 12:23 PM

It could be defective,and the player is MTP only with no MSC.

Old 02-19-2009, 03:18 PM

You do have to hold this at the right angle to get rich black colours, but surely that's the case with any lcd device. Once you tilt it to the right angle the blacks ARE really black.
Built-in speakers on this thing aren't really worth bothering with but can be handy for showing people a bit of video.
I bought the 8Gb version of this player on a random choice - knowing I was never going to pay the bloated, unjustifiable prices for poor quality iPods. I've never looked back. Philips may not always make brilliant products, and the interface has come in for plenty of criticism for looking like it was "designed by a committee". But what's more important, a fancy interface, or a player that actually functions properly. The player I bought my Philips to replace was a Creative Zen 8Gb. I certainly didn't feel much Zen I assure you. Within a couple of days of not very much use it was freezing upon trying to play a podcast. It happened with the exact same one several times. The unit shut down, and I couldn't even hard-reset the thing. I had to wait until the battery drained and I could plug it back into my computer to recharge it before it deigned to function again. Pathetic.
One final thought - there's been a few people, including me when I reinstalled Windows, finding their computer won't recognise their GoGear player. But the Philips site has all the answers. Followed carefully their instructions sorted me out perfectly. Extra praise to Philips for that.

Last edited by dust2dust; 02-19-2009 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Speaker note

Old 02-24-2009, 06:26 PM

This is a good review! Thanks for your time to share your experience.

Old 02-28-2009, 01:30 AM
Ultra Senior Member

is there any improvement from sa6025?

Old 09-06-2009, 10:20 AM

Default Sa6145

Just picked one up as a refurb and I like it a lot battery life seems to be decent the media converter works good .excellent player just have one issue it wont load on my version of xp fortunately my laptops run vista nad connect with no problems trying to find a work around.