android
Old 07-20-2009, 02:14 PM

Help Problem:Album Art on Windows Media Player

I've been using WMP for a while with no problems until i got the Cowon S9. I'm using the large album art on the cowon because i like viewing a nice large clear crisp image of the album. I was having problems w the album art on WMP so i started using MEDia monkey to emb the art onto the file. I removed all the previous album art files and added a new one to every file but for some reason Windows media player refreshes the art and creates smaller images which arent nearly as clear. Is there anyway to fix this while still using WMP?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-20-2009, 02:20 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpachu View Post
I've been using WMP for a while with no problems until i got the Cowon S9. I'm using the large album art on the cowon because i like viewing a nice large clear crisp image of the album. I was having problems w the album art on WMP so i started using MEDia monkey to emb the art onto the file. I removed all the previous album art files and added a new one to every file but for some reason Windows media player refreshes the art and creates smaller images which arent nearly as clear. Is there anyway to fix this while still using WMP?
I think there is an option somewhere that lets you decide whether or not it looks for info on your files on the Web and updates.....but I don't remember exactly where it is. You're better off using MediaMonkey than WMP.

You say you've been using WMP for awhile w/o problems until this....be assured the problems will come. Run away!

Old 07-20-2009, 03:05 PM

haha yea i turned all that stuff off. but i dont even think its the updates. I think its actually reformatting the album art that i have embed on into a smaller version automatically. I'm not sure if u can turn that off. but prolly not. Thanks anyways!

Old 07-21-2009, 05:24 AM

For some reason, WMP automatically creates extra copies of album art in different sizes for files that are registered in it's library, storing them within the folder that the media sits. I assume it re-samples the image within the ID3 tag, so this is probably why you're getting crappy album art.

BTW if allowed to, it'll also go off looking on t'internet for extra information about the media, and automatically overwrite the metadata on your files with information that it thinks is correct (exactly the sort of thing that makes you want to firebomb the nearest Microsoft offices).

WMP album art file nomenclature:
AlbumArt_{hexidecimal_key}_Large.jpg
AlbumArt_{hexidecimal_key}_Small.jpg
AlbumArtSmall.jpg
Folder.jpg
(WMP marks these as hidden operating system files. In order to view them in the album's folder, you may need to change the folder options in explorer)

AFAIK it's impossible to stop it doing this, there are no options or registry keys that you can change. I'd honestly suggest removing these files using a search and replace on all of your folders, and dropping WMP altogether. It's too much hassle if you know what you're doing, as it's built for idiots to use.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:26 AM

I ran into problems with WMP too so I did some research and found out the Tune Up Gold which works with iTunes worked perfectly, sadly its $20/yr, or $30 lifetime cost, but it does work.

Old 07-21-2009, 10:19 AM

i have windows media player... i think it is wmp 11, or whatever comes on vista and i never have problems with album art, it just places teh album art that i paste onto the songs

Old 09-06-2009, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpachu View Post
Yes. Go to Library\More Options and look at the Library tab. See the boxes about retrieving media info and/or overwriting media info. Check or uncheck the boxes to suit.

Tags
album art wmp