android
Old 09-04-2009, 10:11 PM

Lightbulb Clip+ ID3 tag problem/solution

I bought this little guy on a whim the other day, seeing it pop up on CNet. I really, really like it. It's tiny, it has expandable storage, and does the job for way less than most manufacturers want to charge for mp3 players.

However, I've had the worst time trying to get this thing to work on Ubuntu (Linux). I've used three different methods of getting files onto it (Banshee, Exaile, and pure drag-and-drop), and everything I tried continued to screw with the tags (which otherwise displayed perfectly on the computer iteslf), so that artists like "Simon and Garfunkel" ended up being "Simon and Garfunke", certain albums turned up as "Unknown", and Over the Rhine's double album "Ohio" had some tracks in the right order, and others randomly interspersed throughout. Needless to say, it's been frustrating. I searched all over for answers; I used EasyTAG to convert all my tags to ID3.v2.4, stripped them of their ID3v1 tags, jumped through hoops to try to make sure everything was exactly right. I formatted the player several times to get rid of the couple of MTP tracks that it came with. I deleted (from the player) and futzed with the tags on my music about twenty times over the course of the last few days. I was starting to lose hope. Many albums were fine, but many others were messed up in different, surprising ways.

I had two things left to try: install Amarok 2.2 beta (2.1 was so bad it made me look elsewhere for a music player), or boot into Windows and see what WMP11 could do with it. Thankfully, before I did this, one last solution came to mind.

I converted all 3000+ of my tracks to ID3v2.3 (downgrading from 2.4), and lo and behold, everything is PERFECT.

I don't guarantee this will work for everyone. I have a theory as to why it does work: ID3v2.4 apparently puts some tags at the end of the file like ID3v1, and I know that the Clip+ doesn't like ID3v1 tags....but that's only a theory, and a pretty loose one at that. Regardless, after having spent many days and many hours and much brainpower on the problem, I'm happy that I've found a solution. To be honest, it's sad that so much effort was required, and I suppose that's why Apple continues to have such a huge share of the market. But I'm still happy with my Clip+, still don't like Apple, and wanted to share something that worked for me. Let me know if this solves your problems too. =)

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-05-2009, 07:57 AM
Ultra Senior Member

How do you convert to ID3v2.3? I guess I really need a Windows answer, not a Linux one.

Steve

Old 09-05-2009, 08:21 AM

this really isn't anything new.

very few hardware players support id3v2.4 - and it's not that common in software either (well at least on windows). even id3 themselves acknowledge this on their homepage...

http://www.id3.org/

Quote:
While there are legacy and future standards for ID3 tags, the most popular version implemented today is ID3 version 2.3. A follow on version, 2.4, is documented on this website but has not achieved popular status due to some disagreements on some of the revisions and the tremendous inertia present in the software and hardware marketplace.
@FreeZ5

use mp3tag to check your tags. unless you use foobar or have used another player and explicitly told it to write id3v2.4 there's a good chance all your files are 2.3 anyway.

Old 09-05-2009, 01:01 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I've been using Winamp to update mp3 tags, and thought that I had some troubles with them displaying on my Clipand/or Fuze after the edits. Winamp seems to talk about id3v2 but not id3v2.3 or id3v2.4.

I'll have to do some experimenting.

Thanks, Steve

Tags
banshee, clip+, id3, linux, ubuntu