android
Old 08-17-2009, 05:38 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Default Now We Need an APP Store!

I'm incredibly impressed with how much attention Cowon is giving the S9. It's an amazing device. Of the hardware features, I enjoy the accelerometer and see it's potential in the one included Hunter game.

Now that they have gapless playback mostly mastered, the thing I wish my S9 had was more apps designed specifically for it. It seems like too good a device to underutilize. I would pay for apps. They don't have to be a gift from Cowon.

Yes, I can survive if this is all I get. Just a wish. Flash apps don't impress me so far. Anyone else?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-17-2009, 07:15 AM

I completly agree.

Old 08-17-2009, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olley View Post
I'm incredibly impressed with how much attention Cowon is giving the S9. It's an amazing device. Of the hardware features, I enjoy the accelerometer and see it's potential in the one included Hunter game.

Now that they have gapless playback mostly mastered, the thing I wish my S9 had was more apps designed specifically for it. It seems like too good a device to underutilize. I would pay for apps. They don't have to be a gift from Cowon.

Yes, I can survive if this is all I get. Just a wish. Flash apps don't impress me so far. Anyone else?
Not sure how easy it would be to bypass the whole layer of Flash GUI to implement apps written at a lower (and faster) level language. I'd imagine that being quite some bigger effort, firmware-wise, than getting the S9 to play gapless...

That being said, I personally have absolutely no interest in anything besides audio and video playback on the S9. But *if* a useful (i.e. non-Flash) app SDK existed, I'd be the first in line for a Last.fm scrobbler.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:53 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Obviously the Cowon engineers know how to write lower level apps. Someone wrote the Hunter game. I see the same potential, if not more, likely to be overlooked for the new Zune HD. It's really a shame these little computers aren't as "standard" as PCs are. It looks like they are all evolving toward the same minimum hardware spec. Microsoft has Windows Mobile, although I don't want to go anywhere near it. Google has Android. Looks like the Zii will be using it. I'd love to know a future was coming where apps you buy would work on any and all the players you might have. I feel like I'm back in the stone age where your TI-99/4A games wouldn't play on your Commodore or any other "home pc" you might have owned. Then the IBM-PC showed up.

Old 08-17-2009, 10:24 AM

Heh, I never even tried that game. Should have been obvious they're not using laggy Flash for it. Well, that's a good start then.

Old 08-20-2009, 07:40 PM
Ultra Senior Member

It' not perfectly clear, but the Zune HD might get games/apps it can download directly once MS figures out how to consolidate it's win mobile/xbox/etc., app stores. I wish "One Marketplace" actually meant just one place every device (no matter the make) could find apps.