android
Old 08-17-2009, 02:50 PM

Default A few questions and confirmations before I buy a S9

Hello,
I've recently taken notice on the Cowon S9, and I am now considering on buying one!

I just wanted to make a few things clear first:

1.) Will Claw's UCI allow me to change wallpapers easily? I am not referring to the wallpaper rotation feature. Is there a random wallpaper function?

2.) The Cowon is able to playback H.264 /w MP3 inside .AVI container correct?

3.) The touch screen responsiveness has improved with recent firmware updates correct?

Thanks in advance guys.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-17-2009, 03:31 PM
Ultra Senior Member

3. Yes.
2. Probably
1. Someone else will have to answer this one.

Old 08-19-2009, 06:15 AM

1 YES. If not bug Claw to make it simpler and he will if you bug him the right way
Got a Cowon S9? 29 Games: http://www.mediafire.com/?hmz03tq2nzx 272xcosplay pixs http://www.mediafire.com/?5nemmkmmjez Making a theme? Share! Latest news: D2 Calender by thinkquick works on S9. Want to earn money making a Flash app for us?

Old 08-19-2009, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinzwind View Post
1 YES. If not bug Claw to make it simpler and he will if you bug him the right way
Wait. You said "YES", but also mentioned "If not..."
so can I or can I NOT change the wallpaper easily?
Meaning, I'd be able to browse through my pictures folder in thumbnail view and set my wallpaper there even if the picture is not in the correct resolution.

I guess bugging Claw is easier than asking the Rockbox team for tips :P

Old 08-19-2009, 02:25 PM

Changing wallpapers with Claw's UI really is as simple as going to the picture and clicking the "set as wallpaper" icon. It gets more complex depending on what settings you have (such as specific wallpapers for every screen or having them change depending on time of day), but it's all pretty easy.

The S9 is picky with H.264 settings (because it isn't officially supported), but there's a post here somewhere if you search for it. With MP3 audio you should probably be fine though.

Touch responsivness is great, IMO close to perfect. Almost on par with the iPod Touch. Don't pay attention to the reviewers who say that the UI is bad, because it really only needs a little time for you to get used to it.

Old 08-19-2009, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommifier View Post
Changing wallpapers with Claw's UI really is as simple as going to the picture and clicking the "set as wallpaper" icon. It gets more complex depending on what settings you have (such as specific wallpapers for every screen or having them change depending on time of day), but it's all pretty easy.

The S9 is picky with H.264 settings (because it isn't officially supported), but there's a post here somewhere if you search for it. With MP3 audio you should probably be fine though.

Touch responsivness is great, IMO close to perfect. Almost on par with the iPod Touch. Don't pay attention to the reviewers who say that the UI is bad, because it really only needs a little time for you to get used to it.
Sounds great! Thanks for the info.
I think I'm set on getting a Cowon now
If it only had wifi support for sharing music and streaming videos off the web!
I guess the set back of having wifi would be another propriety Zune HD environment but what other brand player is *this* customizable and flexible? Right guys? or am I wrong... (with the exception of Rockboxing some players of course).

What about the M1 and Zii? Does anybody see wifi kicking off for DAPs?
Otherwise I'll be getting my Cowon now :-]

Old 08-19-2009, 06:56 PM

There are other Creative players that have WiFi, not just the Zii Egg...

Old 08-19-2009, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommifier View Post
Don't pay attention to the reviewers who say that the UI is bad, because it really only needs a little time for you to get used to it.
You'll also need to stop using all other MP3 players. They will remind you how easy other UI's are to use.

Really, I've been using the S9 every day for weeks and I'm still googling on how to do very simple things that are just a button press and an English menu with my Creative Zen.

Old 08-19-2009, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post
You'll also need to stop using all other MP3 players. They will remind you how easy other UI's are to use.

Really, I've been using the S9 every day for weeks and I'm still googling on how to do very simple things that are just a button press and an English menu with my Creative Zen.
So the S9 UI customizable in a way that does not make it easy to use?

Old 08-20-2009, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOforever1 View Post
Wait. You said "YES", but also mentioned "If not..."
so can I or can I NOT change the wallpaper easily?
:P
It depends on what YOU call easy. I think it is as easy as it can get but I can't really tell you if you think it is easy aswell now can I

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOforever1 View Post
So the S9 UI customizable in a way that does not make it easy to use?
Well the UCI for the S9 is customizable to any degree. So yes, it is possible to create a totally annoying one ... but who would use it?

All the UCI's out there might be considered quirky to one and absolutely gorgeous to another. I totally love claw's UCI. I also love "swipe" theme by Insta. But there are people that totally hate it and love others that I hate.

But since it is open you could ultimately make it yourself
Got a Cowon S9? 29 Games: http://www.mediafire.com/?hmz03tq2nzx 272xcosplay pixs http://www.mediafire.com/?5nemmkmmjez Making a theme? Share! Latest news: D2 Calender by thinkquick works on S9. Want to earn money making a Flash app for us?

Last edited by rinzwind; 08-20-2009 at 04:52 AM.

Old 08-20-2009, 12:12 PM

My experience with Claw is that it can change the way things look but it doesn't really change the functionality much. Yeah, changing the fonts and the colors and icons is nice but I still haven't figured out how to do some fundamental things like easily manage a dynamic playlist or make the screen dim instead of turning off so I know it's still draining the battery.