android
Old 08-17-2009, 12:53 PM

Default Audible Audio Book Work-Around

I have a bunch of Audible audio books that I purchased, and I wanted to listen to them on the Walkman. As far as I know, the Sony has no Audible support. I found a great little program called M*e*l*o*d*y*C*a*n* that will trans-code the .aa files to mp3. It looks like it works by playing the .aa files in iTunes, and then capturing the audio stream and encoding to mp3. It's an in-eloquent and brute force way to do it, but it works. One down side is that it must encode in real time, so a six hour audio book will take six hours to trans-code. I suggest you put the file in the PODCASTS folder so that when you listen to a book, and then return to it later, it will pick up where you left off. BTW, this does NOT break encryption. (The name of the program is blacklisted on this forum, so just delete the asterisks)

Last edited by hpilot; 08-17-2009 at 02:38 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-17-2009, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpilot View Post
I have a bunch of Audible audio books that I purchased, and I wanted to listen to them on the Walkman. As far as I know, the Sony has no Audible support. I found a great little program called M*e*l*o*d*y*C*a*n* that will trans-code the .aa files to mp3. It looks like it works by playing the .aa files in iTunes, and then capturing the audio stream and encoding to mp3. It's an in-eloquent and brute force way to do it, but it works. One down side is that it must encode in real time, so a six hour audio book will take six hours to trans-code. I suggest you put the file in the PODCASTS folder so that when you listen to a book, and then return to it later, it will pick up where you left off. BTW, this does NOT break encryption. (The name of the program is blacklisted on this forum, so just delete the asterisks)
Get SoundTaxi, it does exactly the same as the above mentioned software., but works much faster.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muka View Post
Get SoundTaxi, it does exactly the same as the above mentioned software., but works much faster.
Thanks, I'll try it. The interface looks exactly the same. This looks like it is the same software, except faster and with a different name. What's the deal?

Last edited by hpilot; 08-18-2009 at 10:34 AM.

Old 08-19-2009, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpilot View Post
Thanks, I'll try it. The interface looks exactly the same. This looks like it is the same software, except faster and with a different name. What's the deal?
I've used SoundTaxi to lose the Digital Restrictions Management crap on some songs I rented from Napster To Go a while back. It might be the same software or similar. I've also seen SoundTaxi been marketed as Tune Cab.

It works by installing some extra sound drivers, which simulate playing and recording the song at high speed, basically a virtual analogue hole. I used a high bitrate 320kbps MP3 encoding, and couldn't detect any loss of quality from 192kbps DRM'd WMA.