android
Old 09-30-2008, 05:58 PM

Default Sound Quality: iAudio 7 vs D2

I am having trouble deciding between these two players. Really all I want to know is- which one sounds better? I will be playing mainly FLAC files.

Also, maybe a little on the user interface/ portability as I will mainly be using on the bus/ in the car.

Also, what earbuds (not over the ear headphones, looking for in-ear earbuds) go well with the iAudio 7/ D2.

Thanks everyone.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-30-2008, 06:56 PM

They should sound very similar, the question is will you be using it for video too? And do you need expansion slot for extra memory? If so, get the d2 and if size and video isn’t important, get the i7. You can read my opinion of the i7 here.

As for phones, how much do you want to spend and what type of music do you like? You can check the sticky's in the headphone forum for starters ... click here.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 09-30-2008, 07:05 PM

Well the thing is I like my good video quality as well so I was planning on getting an Archos 605 wifi, so, no, video does not matter.

So, as for memory, I really don't know, because I am new to the FLAC format and I know it is big. I'll probably have between 700-1000 songs in FLAC, so I'm not sure- will 16GB be enough for it? And my collection will most likely continue to grow in FLAC format.

As for headphones, price is not really a big issue. I just want something that looks decent to wear in public (I've seen the UE11 and they're not for me) and that sounds excellent. Music I listen to mainly- Rock, Pop, Techno and some talk show podcasts.

Thanks for the help.

Old 12-08-2008, 01:41 PM

The Klipsch Custom 3 and UE Triple.Fi 10 sound great with the D2

Old 12-08-2008, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leroy Bad View Post
The Klipsch Custom 3 and UE Triple.Fi 10 sound great with the D2
The UE11 and SE530 don't... they need a dedicated amp in between to sound their best.

Old 12-08-2008, 02:50 PM

Yeah I've read that the Triple.Fi need an amp too because of thier low impedence, but as much as I love great sound quality I can't say I've noticed great discrepencies with the bass.
I still don't understand how low impedence can cause bass roll offs, I would have figured the higher the imdepence the more the problems, because more current is blocked.
Does the bass get rolled because it gets disolved into the excess current?

Old 12-08-2008, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
The UE11 and SE530 don't... they need a dedicated amp in between to sound their best.
Good to know abouth the d2 and higer end phones, I'm still tempted to get one. FWIW the i7 works fine with both the se530s or the ue11s un-amp'd. Sure I prefer to use my portable amp with both, but from all the listening I've done, I've noticed that there isn't any bass roll off without the amp. Of the two phones imo the se530 benifit more from a good portable amp, where as the ue11s sound just as good either way, you just need to turn the volume up a bit without it.

Old 05-24-2009, 02:09 AM
Ultra Senior Member

i ever head to head between these 2, and i7 sound better for me but only a little

Old 08-05-2009, 02:11 PM

I am having a hard time deciding between the D2 and i7. There seems to be a consistent agreement that the iaudio 7 is warmer and more musical and the D2 is colder and more analytical. However, that would depend upon the type or music listened to, the type of conversion from CD used. I listen only to Classical and will record only using FLAC. The sonic requirements to reproduce Acoustic Instruments is very different for Electronic Instruments. Therefore it is not surprising that one player has trouble sounding good for every kind of music. Has anyone really tried a test to see which one is better for Acoustic Instruments, the D2 or i7? If so I would very much appreciate if they would post the result since Cowon is not sold in any store in the Bay Area where I live I can't listen to it myself. Thanks so much.

koolkeys7

Old 08-05-2009, 02:15 PM

Both players use a Wolfson DAC (digital-analog-converter), both players use firmware written by the same people... most differences are placebo. I've had a lot of Cowon players and especially between their Telechips/Wolfson-equipped players the differences are marginal. People don't test these things properly, they rely on hear-say and anecdotes... and I claim they sound more or less the same.

Old 08-05-2009, 02:32 PM

Default D2 or i7

Thanks!

This would explain many of the comments that I have read that are conflicting. Any music becomes harsh if the listening level is loud enough. Many factors come into play, type of earphones, type of music, personal taste etc. I have read consistently that Cowon makes excellent sounding players. Probably I will go for the D2/D2+ with Klipsch or Shure earphones since my listening will be mainly Classical with some Jazz and Rock.

kookeys7

Old 08-05-2009, 02:34 PM

Enjoy.

Old 08-13-2009, 12:22 AM

Was downloading music files on my new D2 and forgot to eject the D2 icon before disconnecting it from the computer and it caused a lot of problems. To clear it I finally had to Clear Memory. That did restore the D2 but now all music files, photos, movies etc are gone. Does anyone know if there is a way to reload the files that came with the D2? Thanks...

Old 08-13-2009, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolkeys7 View Post
Does anyone know if there is a way to reload the files that came with the D2? Thanks...
Only way is if you backed them up or you’ll have to look for someone that did to provide you the files.

Old 08-13-2009, 10:40 AM

Default Reload original files on D2

Thanks...
Since I didn't back them up maybe someone will have them, if not well at least the D2 is working again and I now have all the space free..

Old 08-13-2009, 10:42 AM

I would like to add that I really love the D2. I especially like the touch interface not to mention that the sound quality is fantastic. Also the depth of control is wonderful....

Using the included earbuds the sound is ok but with the Sennheiser HD600 fantastic. I plan on getting the Etymotic ER4P soon, the HD600 are way too big and heavy for portable use.

Tags
cowon, d2, flac, iaudio