android
Old 07-31-2009, 06:56 AM

Default How has the S9 improved since it was released?

Can someone please quickly and concisely tell me how the S9 has improved since the initial build? Save me having to scroll through all the firmware updates. Just the big updates mind. In particular, has touch responsiveness and UI seen big improvements?

Thanks.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-31-2009, 06:59 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Trust me. You need the latest firmware, and can skip all the in-betweens. The S9 is far better now than it was when released. It's simply the best player out there at the moment. The changes are too broad for a concise answer, sorry.

Old 07-31-2009, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99tollap View Post
Can someone please quickly and concisely tell me how the S9 has improved since the initial build? Save me having to scroll through all the firmware updates. Just the big updates mind. In particular, has touch responsiveness and UI seen big improvements?
Hell yeah!
Just get 1.
[Amplifier]FiiO e5

Old 07-31-2009, 07:30 AM

Quote:

Thanks.

Not really. Don't let others fool you about installing UCI's the player is still sluggish.

Old 07-31-2009, 07:54 AM

A more detailed answer form someone who doesn't own one but reads up on DAPs:

The latest firmware offers GAPLESS playback with lossless formats.

With Claw's UCI there are loads of aditions including:

Resume (REAL resume, not just remembering what part of the track you are on when you go back to the music screen)
MSC Playlists
Multiple Dynamic Playlists (off the top of my head up to ten but don't quote me)

There are more little enhancements than I care to list with Claw's work, some will be important to people others won't, but to be honest the only real flaws with Cowon players previously were lack of playlist support, lack of GAPLESS and lack of real Resume function... what more does anyone want???

The S9 now has not only the best sound (arguably), but also has all the features you want -

MSC, Gapless, BBE+ Sound Enhancements, File/Folder Browsing, Playlists (including dynamic playlists), Resume...

Soon as I can get the money together I'm buying one!

Old 07-31-2009, 08:49 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticstylez View Post
Not really. Don't let others fool you about installing UCI's the player is still sluggish.
Hmmm,.......... no the player isn't sluggish. Besides, your just waiting for your Z:HD.

Old 07-31-2009, 09:02 AM

One thing I saw from early firmware videos was that menu titles tended to be in brackets for some reason, such as [artist] [song] etc. Have they changed this? I know its a really stupid, minor cosmetic thing but the little things all add up. If I'm spending 150 I want it to be pretty near perfect...

Old 07-31-2009, 09:21 AM

Quote:
One thing I saw from early firmware videos was that menu titles tended to be in brackets for some reason, such as [artist] [song] etc.
Still the same. They use that to identify folders. You can remove the brackets with a custom UCI, but it makes it sightly more sluggish (so I've heard)

Old 07-31-2009, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPoo View Post
Still the same. They use that to identify folders. You can remove the brackets with a custom UCI, but it makes it sightly more sluggish (so I've heard)

mixed reviews and contradictions in this thread. hahaha.

no it doesnt become sluggish. it becomes sluggish when you take off brackets, change the color of the files, change the scroll bar, change blend/brightness, and have a wallpaper.

that's when it becomes sluggish. just merely taking off brackets will be smooth.

Old 07-31-2009, 06:54 PM

From Claw @ iaudiophile:

Quote:
Keep in mind though that if performance is your top concern you will be disappointed in the new browser. Removal of brackets happens in real time, and is a very inefficient operation in Flash. As such, browsing will slow down a bit - whether you remove brackets or color the rows, etc
Fine, so sluggish is a bit exaggerated (but that's why I said slightly)...

Old 07-31-2009, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPoo View Post
From Claw @ iaudiophile:

Fine, so sluggish is a bit exaggerated (but that's why I said slightly)...
sorry to say but i dont believe claw, the maker, either.
not that i dont like him or anything, but if taking off brackets on the browser makes it as smooth as the "black browser" which everyone claims to be the fastest browser around, then i say removing brackets is pretty well done for its happening in real time.

Very quick list of what's been changed
1. Gapless playback for FLAC, OGG, other lossless files, MP3 files
2. Stupid Coverflow got replaced with matrix coverflow
3. Speed-wise... still about the same. browser was definitely improved in terms of speed though.
4. A little bit more responsive than it was before (still doesn't meet up with most people's standards)
5. Accelerometer/g-sensor used to work by only multiples of 90 (90, 180, 270, 360/0). However, firmware updates improved it and now we can have games that use g-sensor similar to the iPod Touch's.
6. Dunno anything else . I feel like those are the main ones though.

Last edited by Uphaillife; 07-31-2009 at 09:47 PM.

Old 07-31-2009, 10:18 PM

Reading the replies in this thread about accuracy and responsiveness, I don't know what to believe about the S9 anymore.

I have a few questions of my own;

1) When scrolling through artists, or song lists within an album, or anything of that nature, how responsive is the kinetic control? Is it smooth like the iPod Touch, or is it slightly choppy?

2) When selecting artists, or buttons, or a particular track, is the S9 accurate in terms of selecting what one would desire? I know that the smaller the font size used the less accurate it will be, but lets say at a font size similar to the iPod Touch when browsing through artists, is it roughly the same, better, or worse?

3) I see changing themes has mixed reviews. What about changing themes to a VERY simple theme, does the S9 still lag, when technically it should be quicker. This is the kind of logic between using a standard theme in Windows and modified (ie; classic vs. xp).

Thanks guys, hopefully someone will respond to this.

Old 08-01-2009, 12:02 AM

1)IMO, it's pretty smooth, though I've never used the Ipod Touch, so I can't really compare them.
2)It's accurate for me at the smallest size, but you can always zoom in if you need to.
3)Some themes do make it a bit sluggish depending on which ones you use. If you use a simple theme, it won't make it sluggish, though some of the more complicated ones would slow it down a bit. I've only used a few custom uci's, and some have made the s9 a bit slower, others haven't. Right now, I'm sticking with Claw, and I have changed lots of the settings, so it's a bit slower, but not so much that it would annoy.

Old 08-01-2009, 01:22 AM

I still don't get this sluggish crap... The S9 is really smooth. Once in a while, you'll have a hicup for some reason. Exactly like on the Touch or Iphone (and these 2 don't have 100% smooth scroling either)... Nothing a normal human being can't live with. The kinetic system is not calibrated the same way as it is on the iphone.... If you come from one of these devices, that might piss you off at start but hell, get other it, the player is definitly worth it...

It's like going from a BMW to a Maserati.

Old 08-01-2009, 05:12 AM

Once I installed the newest (at the time) firmware I had better G-sensor abilities and new games and widgets that weren't on the S9 when I bought it.

Old 08-05-2009, 02:33 PM

GAPLESS... am I late to the party?